What's new

Singapore launches first Independence-class Littoral Mission Vessel

70U63

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Singapore has launched the first of eight Littoral Mission Vessels (LMVs) on order for the Republic of Singapore Navy (RSN).
The vessel, Independence , was launched on 3 July at ST Marine's shipyard in Benoi in a ceremony presided over by Singapore's defence minister Ng Eng Hen.
The Independence class is fitted with one Oto Melara 76 mm main gun, two Oto Melara Hitrole 12.7 mm remote-controlled weapon stations (one each on the port and starboard sides), and a stern-facing Rafael 25 mm Typhoon gun system. Protection against hostile aircraft and missiles is provided by MBDA's VL Mica anti-air missile system deployed via a 12-cell vertical launching system (VLS) in the forward section.
The platform's non-lethal options are provided by two water cannon and two remote-controlled long-range acoustic device (LRAD) system turrets with integrated xenon lights.
The sensor suite includes the Thales NS100 3D surveillance radar, Kelvin Hughes' SharpEye navigation radar, and an electro-optical director and 360° surveillance system supplied by Stelop (a business unit of ST Electronics). In response to a question from IHS Jane's , the RSN confirmed that the LMV does not have an anti-submarine warfare (ASW) capability.
The 1,250-tonne ship has a length of 80 m, a beam of 12 m, and a draught of 3 m. It has a top speed in excess of 27 kt and a range of 3,500 n miles on an endurance of 14 days.

1634985_-_main.jpg

Singapore launches first Independence-class Littoral Mission Vessel - IHS Jane's 360

Looks Promising indeed but one thing I never understood is what Motivates a Country like Singapore to develop such a Massive Military and having rules like Mandatory Conscription when they have no Serious Dispute with any other country in the region????I hope South East Asian members could Explain the reason.

The Indonesian–Malaysian confrontation or Borneo confrontation (also known by its Indonesian/Malay name, Konfrontasi) was a violent conflict from 1963–66 that stemmed from Indonesia's opposition to the creation of Malaysia. The creation of Malaysia was the amalgamation of the Federation of Malaya (now West Malaysia), Singapore and the crown colony/British protectorates of North Borneo and Sarawak (collectively known as British Borneo, now East Malaysia) in September 1963.[7] Important precursors to the conflict included Indonesia's policy of confrontation against Netherlands New Guinea from March–August 1962 and the Brunei Revolt in December 1962.

Indonesia–Malaysia confrontation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Looks Promising indeed but one thing I never understood is what Motivates a Country like Singapore to develop such a Massive Military and having rules like Mandatory Conscription when they have no Serious Dispute with any other country in the region????I hope South East Asian members could Explain the reason.

Sometimes your own strength itself is a deterrent against those potential trouble-makers!

Weak ones, on the other hand, attract all kinds of threats towards them!

Back
Top Bottom