What's new

Sindhi community in India

Corruptistan

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Pre/post-1947 partition caused as we know it, population movements from both sides of the border, mostly Punjabis and Sindhis.

While a small native Hindu Sindhi community remains in Pakistan (Umerkot being the unofficial "headquarters"), many Pakistani Hindu Sindhis moved to India and some Muslim Sindhis moved to Pakistan.

I have seen various sources that claim that there are up to 4 million Sindhis in India nowadays. How genuine are such claims?

Also what is the reputation of Sindhis in India and what influence have they had?

I was inspired after watching this video to create this thread.

Pre/post-1947 partition caused as we know it, population movements from both sides of the border, mostly Punjabis and Sindhis.

While a small native Hindu Sindhi community remains in Pakistan (Umerkot being the unofficial "headquarters"), many Pakistani Hindu Sindhis moved to India and some Muslim Sindhis moved to Pakistan.

I have seen various sources that claim that there are up to 4 million Sindhis in India nowadays. How genuine are such claims?

Also what is the reputation of Sindhis in India and what influence have they had?

I was inspired after watching this video to create this thread.

Personally I don't see Hindus as Sindhis.

Sindh is now 90% Muslim now.

Personally I don't see them as Sindhis.

Sindh is now 90% Muslim now.

What do you mean? As long as they continue to identify as Sindhis, speak Sindhi, adhere to Sindhi culture, marry other Sindhis etc. they are ethnic Sindhis. Indians, yes, but ethnic Sindhis. There are Indian Punjabis. Indian Kashmiris. Indian Sindhis (although few). Indian Pashtuns (by ancestry that is - few too), Indian people of Baloch origin (few too but they exist due to historical settlements, now diluted) etc. We have Pakistani Hindus too, most of which are ethnic Sindhis (or at least Sindhi speakers), and they are also Pakistanis.

The thread is more about the Sindhi community in India and what their reputation is in India other than successful business community. It is mostly just out of pure curiosity, as it is well-documented that there were movements of Pakistanis Sindhis to India as I explained.

@Khan2727 bro you're Sindhi right?

You know written Sindhi or can just talk in Sindhi?

Not written, unfortunately.

It is interesting to listen to such life stories, when this generation dies out, the last bonds (direct) will die out too. It will become distant memory.

Actually if not for the tired less work of people like Abdul-Majid Bhurgri, printed Sindhi (computing) would be much different and more rare.

No group in Pakistan, maybe outside of Siraikis can understand much Sindhi to begin with (unless learning it or living in Sindh where Urdu is used as medium of communication across ethnic lines anyway), but Sindh itself is a melting pot of entire Pakistan + Mahajir and unique groups like Kutchi people. Afro-Pakistanis too. Sindhis are business-orientated/agricultural community with strong Sufi tradition and influence. This also meant that the partition was less bloody and not such a small Hindu Sindhi community remained.

Sirakis are like a bridge between Sindhis and Punjabis.

Sindhi local militia also were crucial during the 1965 war to repel/prevent Indian attack on Pakistani soil (border lands). Also the "Hurs" community resisted the Brits and were never defeated.

BTW it is also true that @MultaniGuy probably means here that (could misunderstood his post) 99% of all Pakistani Sindhis have nothing to do with India or Indians. The minority of Muslim Sindhis that left for Pakistan all lived in the immediate neighborhood to the modern-day border. Sindhis are not really related to any native Indian ethnic group unlike with native Pakistani groups. I am not an expert in Sindhi history but as long as I can eat my dal pakwan once or so a week, I am content.

Sindhis are tightly knit and rich community. They usually like to live together and marry only among each other. Most of neighbourhood of Sindhis have very costly real estate. Not because they are the best neighbourhoods, but because they prefer to live among themselves.

Never knew we had so many famous Sindhis in India. This is a list from quora

Business families/CEOs/Entrepreneurs:
  1. Hinduja family
  2. Raheja family
  3. Hiranandani family
  4. Mukesh Jagtiani (Heads a retail behemoth, Landmark Group, UAE)
  5. Romesh T Wadhwani (Private Equity investor)
  6. Jitendra Virwani (Chairman, Embassy Developers)
  7. Patanjali Keswani (Founder of Lemon Tree Hotels)
  8. Raj Menda & Manoj Menda (Promoters of one of the largest real estate companies operating in Bangalore)
  9. Harish Manwani (Former COO, Unilever)
  10. Chandra Kochhar (MD & CEO, ICICI Bank)
  11. CP Gurnani (CEO, Tech Mahindra)
  12. Ashok Vaswani (CEO, Personal and Corporate Banking, Barclays)
  13. Meera Sanyal (Former CEO, RBS India)
  14. Lila Poonawalla (Former MD, Alfa Laval)
Politics:
  1. LK Advani (Former Deputy Prime Minister of India)
  2. KR Malkani (Was the Vice President of the Bharatiya Janata Party from 1991 to 1994)
  3. Sucheta Kriplani (first woman Chief Minister of UP)
Entertainment:
  1. Ranveer Singh (Indian actor)
  2. Rajkumar Hirani (Indian movie director)
  3. Ramesh Sippy (Indian movie director)
  4. Hansika Motwani (Indian actress)
  5. Ritesh Sidhwani (Indian movie producer)
Law and Judiciary:
  1. Ram Jethmalani (Former Law Minister of India)
  2. Mahesh Jethmalani (Criminal lawyer)
Sports:
Pankaj Advani (World Champion, Billiards and Snooker)

I know some Wadhwanis and Miglanis, friends of the family. Quite well to do and very cultured people, apparently had big businesses in what is now Pakistan but lost most of it post partition.

Sindhis that moved partition have done very well. I thinknanybte there is emigration especially.forced ot forces the community build back stronger.

Meanwhile people that have been sitting their *** down for generations at one place are soft and weak unenterprenurial if that's even a word.

What do you mean? As long as they continue to identify as Sindhis, speak Sindhi, adhere to Sindhi culture, marry other Sindhis etc. they are ethnic Sindhis. Indians, yes, but ethnic Sindhis. There are Indian Punjabis. Indian Kashmiris. Indian Sindhis (although few). Indian Pashtuns (by ancestry that is - few too), Indian people of Baloch origin (few too but they exist due to historical settlements, now diluted) etc. We have Pakistani Hindus too, most of which are ethnic Sindhis (or at least Sindhi speakers), and they are also Pakistanis.

The thread is more about the Sindhi community in India and what their reputation is in India other than successful business community. It is mostly just out of pure curiosity, as it is well-documented that there were movements of Pakistanis Sindhis to India as I explained.

Not written, unfortunately.

It is interesting to listen to such life stories, when this generation dies out, the last bonds (direct) will die out too. It will become distant memory.

Actually if not for the tired less work of people like Abdul-Majid Bhurgri, printed Sindhi (computing) would be much different and more rare.

No group in Pakistan, maybe outside of Siraikis can understand much Sindhi to begin with (unless learning it or living in Sindh where Urdu is used as medium of communication across ethnic lines anyway), but Sindh itself is a melting pot of entire Pakistan + Mahajir and unique groups like Kutchi people. Afro-Pakistanis too.
You know most of dominant punjabi clans are also originally from Sindh , my clan Jutts, Arain are from Sindh - as Arabs interacted with Baloch and Sindhis the most, prophet pbuh Hadith mentioned how prophet Moses reassemble Jutt/Al-Zutt people (who were probably from Sindh at the time) due to his brown complexion and tall stature

Both started moving north as Baloch tribes started moving into Sindh, and also Arab invasion

Original Punjabis are Khatri/Sheikh for Muslims, kamboh, Rajput- gujjars I think are from Kashmiri nomad's Afaik (which is weird cause kashmiris are chill af but gujjars are hardcore, scary mofos lol, actually most of inner city Punjabi gangsters are also ethnic kashmiri , maybe stereotype of kashmiris being pussies is wrong)

Whole region is a melting pot in general and Sindh for some reason is the epicenter of it all, y'all even have pakhtun villages despite being so far away from that region

I have a lot admiration for Sindhs history, it seems to connect all the ethnicities in some ways historically
Sindhis are business-orientated/agricultural community with strong Sufi tradition and influence. This also meant that the partition was less bloody
I think it's because no land was divided, we in the north unfortunately kill brothers for "Zameen" if you open up local papers , partition was just a bigger version of that thinking
and not such a small Hindu Sindhi community remained.

Sirakis are like a bridge between Sindhis and Punjabis.
Linguistically closer to Punjabi, culturally a bit more close to Sindhis, and than Baloch

Sindhi local militia also were crucial during the 1965 war to repel/prevent Indian attack on Pakistani soil (border lands). Also the "Hurs" community resisted the Brits and were never defeated.
I posted a detailed article on hurs, maybe you'll like that

BTW it is also true that @MultaniGuy probably means here that (could misunderstood his post) 99% of all Pakistani Sindhis have nothing to do with India or Indians. The minority of Muslim Sindhis that left for Pakistan all lived in the immediate neighborhood to the modern-day border. Sindhis are not really related to any native Indian ethnic group unlike with native Pakistani groups. I am not an expert in Sindhi history but as long as I can eat my dal pakwan once or so a week, I am content.
Here's a Sindhi Hindu vlogger, I like watching his vlogs sometimes

Last edited:
Khatri/Sheikh
Most likely they came from east in search of livelihood. Most of them lived in cities reason why Sindhi origin people are successful in India is they were from banya class. Original tribes are those who live in Punjab presently. And Jat koi nasal nahin ha

Last edited:
I have a lot of Sindhi friends thanks to the many years i lived in Bombay. Among all my friends, i get along best with sindhis. We all love our drinks, enjoy street food, and generally live it up. The younger lot (post partition) are a fun lot. The older ones were too focussed on re establishing themselves and worked very hard. They tend to be protective about who they work with and share the rewards with.

Mumbai is their biggest base, and there is a fair chunk is Delhi too. Otherwise like most business communities they are spread across the country. Extremely well educated and have a desire to succeed, whether it is job or business. They run many educational institutions. My brother did his grad and post grad from one of them. They have contributed a lot in this sector and i really appreciate them for it.

Never knew we had so many famous Sindhis in India. This is a list from quora

Business families/CEOs/Entrepreneurs:
  1. Hinduja family
  2. Raheja family
  3. Hiranandani family
  4. Mukesh Jagtiani (Heads a retail behemoth, Landmark Group, UAE)
  5. Romesh T Wadhwani (Private Equity investor)
  6. Jitendra Virwani (Chairman, Embassy Developers)
  7. Patanjali Keswani (Founder of Lemon Tree Hotels)
  8. Raj Menda & Manoj Menda (Promoters of one of the largest real estate companies operating in Bangalore)
  9. Harish Manwani (Former COO, Unilever)
  10. Chandra Kochhar (MD & CEO, ICICI Bank)
  11. CP Gurnani (CEO, Tech Mahindra)
  12. Ashok Vaswani (CEO, Personal and Corporate Banking, Barclays)
  13. Meera Sanyal (Former CEO, RBS India)
  14. Lila Poonawalla (Former MD, Alfa Laval)
Politics:
  1. LK Advani (Former Deputy Prime Minister of India)
  2. KR Malkani (Was the Vice President of the Bharatiya Janata Party from 1991 to 1994)
  3. Sucheta Kriplani (first woman Chief Minister of UP)
Entertainment:
  1. Ranveer Singh (Indian actor)
  2. Rajkumar Hirani (Indian movie director)
  3. Ramesh Sippy (Indian movie director)
  4. Hansika Motwani (Indian actress)
  5. Ritesh Sidhwani (Indian movie producer)
Law and Judiciary:
  1. Ram Jethmalani (Former Law Minister of India)
  2. Mahesh Jethmalani (Criminal lawyer)
Sports:
Pankaj Advani (World Champion, Billiards and Snooker)

Sadhna and Babita, both Bollywood actresses of 1960s, were also Sindhi.

Back
Top Bottom