What's new

Significance of radar in modern day BVR combats

Agent_47

Reaction score
Country
India
I was comparing radars of MKI and eurofighter in #Indradhanush15 context.Then,some users said the following:

Most fighters don't use their own radars any ways.

You can detect an enemy radar twice as far a they can detect you. Using your radar broadcasts. Your location at light speed to everyone in the area

That is why awacs are so important. The jets remain dark. Remain in datalink range and launch their radar guided missiles using a much more powerful and better controlled radar system.

All of this chit chat about who has a better radar is kind of moot. Fighters don't use them.

I am curious about the scenario. I've seen interesting ones where a defender group had to defend an area using only ground based radar vs enemy air based radar. It did not work out well for the defenders. The ability to data link with the awacs and launch your bvr missiles without activating your own and effectively announcing your attack is a really big deal.

It's simple math.

Let's say my radar can produce enough energy and is sensitive enough to detect you at 100 miles. The radio waves travel 100 miles, bounce off your airplane, travel the 100 miles back and is read by my plane.

Effective distance traveled 200 miles.

That means at 200 miles away a third aircraft is receiving the same radar emissions at the same exact strength as I am. Inverse square law is applied.

Intelligence folks are pretty damn good at estimating detection ranges for radar equipment.

So in the scenario where you know you're well within their radar coverage, it would be prudent to energize your own. But absent that coverage, energizing your radar only announces your presence to people who may have not known you were there.

I would like to know more about the bold parts.
Is this a realistic scenario in BVR combat? If a third a/c can detects radar waves then can he track and fire a BVR without getting in to enemy's radar field ?

@Oscar @sancho @500 @Manticore @SBD-3 @gambit @SpArK

One thing that I do know about AESA radars, is that it's either in the Aggressive, or Passive mode, so to speak. In the passive mode, it's not entirely switched off, it's still picking up radar energy.

Secondly, IRST in modern day warfare, is the reason why jets can switch off their radars today, other wise they would be 100% reliant on AWACS.

Let's say my radar can produce enough energy and is sensitive enough to detect you at 100 miles. The radio waves travel 100 miles, bounce off your airplane, travel the 100 miles back and is read by my plane.

Effective distance traveled 200 miles.

That means at 200 miles away a third aircraft is receiving the same radar emissions at the same exact strength as I am. Inverse square law is applied.

Doesn't the Radar emissions lose some strength when they hit and bounce back? And with modern stealth tech the Targeted aircraft will scatter lots of the Radar emissions which mean you give off more energy than you you get back

How did you reach this conclusion exactly?
Dude,its not my conclusion. someone else said it.I want to clarify the same here.

He is stating that at 200 miles there will be low radar weaves even though no detection by the fighter (inverse square law).So that the aircraft at the 200 miles can detect the radar emitting aircraft without turning on his radar.
420px-Inverse_square_law.svg.png

de6ee5f95f4bd85100de8d126060c87c.png

Inverse-square law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Secondly, IRST in modern day warfare, is the reason why jets can switch off their radars today, other wise they would be 100% reliant on AWACS.
AFAIK range of IRST systems are very low. I'm curious about BVR scenario.

Last edited:
If a third a/c can detects radar waves then can he track and fire a BVR without getting in to enemy's radar field ?
Firstly radar range is usually much higher than missile range.
Secondly, in order to find coordinates from enemy radar you need very complex and expensive system like ALR-94.
Thirdly even ALR-94 is not enough because it gives only direction but not the range.

Firstly radar range is usually much higher than missile range.
Secondly, in order to find coordinates from enemy radar you need very complex and expensive system like ALR-94.
Thirdly even ALR-94 is not enough because it gives only direction but not the range.
So,other than detecting the emission, there is nothing you can do,rite? what if i have AWACS coverage ?
and when i am in the range of the BVR missile,I am already detected by the aggressor radar waves.

Back
Top Bottom