What's new

Shourya and Agni-I: What's the Difference?

arp2041

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
Shourya and Agni-1 have identical ranges and similar warhead capabilities, so why do we have two missiles with similar characteristics in our deterrent?

In short, Shourya is not part of our deterrent, yet. Besides, there is little similarity between the two missiles, despite the way it looks. Even their ranges may will be different.

Shourya

Shourya is a two stage missile with characteristics of both ballistic and cruise missiles. Unlike conventional cruise missiles which fly at extremely low altitudes and subsonic speeds using turbo fan engines, Shourya cruises at extremely high altitudes at hypersonic speeds using rocket power.

After being launched like a ballistic missile, Shaurya doesn't follow a pure ballistic trajectory. It stays within the atmosphere and flies to its targets at hypersonic speeds, performing maneuvers to confuse enemy defenses. Its time to target is considerably less than that of a ballistic missile, giving the enemy lesser reaction time.

Shourya is comparable to Russia's Iskander missile that can cruise at hypersonic speed of Mach 6 - 7 at a height of 50 km and maneuver to evade ballistic missile defenses.

The Iskander-M weighs 4,615 kg and carries a warhead of 710 – 800 kg to a range of 480 km, achieving a CEP of 5 – 7 m.

At 6.5 ton, Shourya is considerably heavier than the Iskander-M but has a much longer range.

The Shourya is the land based version of the Saagrika missile developed under the K-15 project for arming India's SSBNs. The missile has a diameter of 0.74 and a length of 10m; it is custom built to fit, three each, in the missile tube of the Arihant class SSBNs.

Shourya is a canisterized. It is road mobile and can be launched from silos.

Shourya has not yet been made a part of India's strategic arsenal.

Agni-I

Agni-I (A1) is a single stage, solid fueled ballistic missile that India decided to develop shortly after the Kargil war in 1999 to plug the gap between the 250km rang Prithvi-II and 2,500km Agni-II.

Basically, the Agni-I is the Agni-II without the second stage.

The missile was conceived and developed from the ground up as a road mobile strategic deterrent against Pakistan. The missile is incapable of being stored and launched from a canister making it more detectable and vulnerable.

The A1, 15m long and 1m in diameter, will not fit into a SSBN missile tube.

Since A1 was first announced with a range of 700 km it has probably been improved. New variants of the Agni-I are likely to be using the 1.2 m diameter first stage developed for use on the improved version of Agni-II and the new Agni-IV missiles.

The bigger first stage probably give the Agni-I a range that is far greater than 700 km. In one of the recent tests, DRDO claimed that the A1 reached an altitude of 900 km!

The A1 is part of India's strategic arsenel.

Agni-1, Shourya Comparison Summary

Agni-I Shourya / Saagrika

Length (m) 15 10

Diameter (m) 1.2 0.74

Range (km) 700 700

Propulsion Single stage, Solid fuelled Two stage, Solid fuelled

Trajectory Ballistic Very High Altitude Cruise with maneuvering

Time to Target More Less

Canisterized No Yes

Operational Yes No

Submarine Launch No Yes

Shourya and Agni-I: What's the Difference?

isn t shaurya is a tactical missile and AGNI-1 is a ballistic missile::what:

why to compare both of them when they belong to different category.

isn t shaurya is a tactical missile and AGNI-1 is a ballistic missile::what:

why to compare both of them when they belong to different category.
Not necessarily :) Shourya would be quasi ballistic missile that would prove more better than traditional Agni I

U forgot to mention, i think not sure... Shourya will cost more then double then Agni-I, as it is more advance.

Back
Top Bottom