What's new

Ship's cat

I was interested to know about blackie only .. The thing is i am yet to meet a person who owns Chartreux . They are rare , plus since they look too much like British Shorthair , English GCCF do not recognize it .

Yeah, it's quite a rare breed all over the world and some people do think they are direct decentant from the british short hair. OUt here in Australia, people generally follow british scheme so there are a lot more people own BSH than Chartreux

Blackie is a British Short hair x.....

Katy is a Russian Blue.

Got some more but they are Domestic Short Hair...Me and my wife went all out to shelter and rescue cat's that schedule for put down. We have a lot of cats lol. And good eyes.

how many cats you do have?

how many cats you do have?

i had about 40 cats over a period of 15 years but at most 15 at once.....Some cat we pick up are already very old to start with and that is why they are homeless in the first place.

Currently we have 10 cats :)

@IND151 , Do IN follow this tradition and have any ship's cat ??

Last edited by a moderator:
@IND151; This thread is interesting because it is part of the legends of sea-faring. However there are no Cats,Dogs or any kind of pets carried on board. For reasons of sanitation and hygiene.
The reason why cats were initially carried on board were to control rodents; who could chew through a ship's sails and cordage. Now there are no sails on board (they have'nt been for a century) and all the cordage/ropes are made of synthetic material such as polyamide, nylon, polypropylene etc. No Rat can eat that! Plus pest control/fumigation ensures that no pests/rodents can be found on board. Nowadays any animals on board are actually seen as potential carriers of organisms and viruses. So animals on board are prohibited. If any are seen/found on board; the ship is likely to be quarantined!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom