What's new

Ship-Launched Ballistic Missile Dhanush test fired

If Indian test BM it can have Anti Ship capability but when China developed DF-21 it was piece of crap and not possible to have Anti Ship capability, what a hypocrisy.

By the way Congrats. :-)
The problem with Chinese claim is that it has a very high apogee and high reentry speed, and a solid fueled missile, so controlling direction and thrust is an issue, there is also a midcourse guidance issue especially due to atmospheric re-entry. But hey those are all technical details, I dont think its impossible though. Also read below.

A ballistic warhead is an unpowered vehicle that depends on gravity for its travel, which is limited to a descent. Being unpowered does not mean you cannot maneuver. Of course you can maneuver, but your maneuverability is quite limited: lateral. Meaning you can only change your path to either side. You cannot make a U-turn like an aircraft. And you cannot reverse. As a ballistic vehicle, you have only one direction: down.

Prithvi is a liquid fueled missile, so the thrust can be easily controlled, and the range is way shorter than DF21 and no atmospheric re-rentry so not a problem of communication.
You are welcome :D

The problem with Chinese claim is that it has a very high apogee and high reentry speed, and a solid fueled missile, so controlling direction and thrust is an issue, there is also a midcourse guidance issue especially due to atmospheric re-entry. But hey those are all technical details, I dont think its impossible though.
Prithvi is a liquid fueled missile, so the thrust can be easily controlled, and the range is way shorter than DF21 and no atmospheric re-rentry so not a problem of communication.
You are welcome

If US sees DF-21 as a threat then it is definitely a capable system.

So.........is the Dhanush a 'carrier-killer' too? ;)

I would hardly think it would be useful in that sense. That liquid fuel will always hold it back from a quick response system. I wonder why this system has been persisted with unless the idea was to test the launching of a Ballistic missile from a ship and not the Dhanush itself?

I would hardly think it would be useful in that sense. That liquid fuel will always hold it back from a quick response system. I wonder why this system has been persisted with unless the idea was to test the launching of a Ballistic missile from a ship and not the Dhanush itself?
How would liquid fuel hold it back from a quick response system? It would not give it the same amount of power, therefore range, but liquid fuel would allow control of flow unlike solid fuel, thus allowing better response.
The idea was indeed to develop the Dhanush launcher for sea based missiles and not just ship based.
Actually Dhanush means bow, so mostly this was used to describe the launcher and not the missile, but it stuck, so we see Dhanush missile tests :D

The problem with Chinese claim is that it has a very high apogee and high reentry speed, and a solid fueled missile, so controlling direction and thrust is an issue, there is also a midcourse guidance issue especially due to atmospheric re-entry. But hey those are all technical details, I dont think its impossible though. Also read below.

You are welcome :D

At the same time, it will a lot of time to get the Prithvi going.. A solid fuelled version would have much more luck as a quick response ship based weapon.. A canister version even more so.

At the same time, it will a lot of time to get the Prithvi going.. A solid fuelled version would have much more luck as a quick response ship based weapon.. A canister version even more so.
So yeah, the power issue would play a role. I misunderstood quick response in your post, you meant it in launching, I thought in quick maneuvering response.
But I dont think this system is supposed to a quick reaction system, especially due to the way it is tested/used. Not to mention the time it takes to install before launching.
PS These guys at ITR are quite sneaky, they use Dhanush launches as a cover for other missiles like K15. So cannot be sure if its just Dhanush launch, plus it happened at night, so doubly unsure. my guess no proof.

How would liquid fuel hold it back from a quick response system? It would not give it the same amount of power, therefore range, but liquid fuel would allow control of flow unlike solid fuel, thus allowing better response.
The idea was indeed to develop the Dhanush launcher for sea based missiles and not just ship based.
Actually Dhanush means bow, so mostly this was used to describe the launcher and not the missile, but it stuck, so we see Dhanush missile tests :D

It would not be a quick response system unless the Indian Navy is ok with the rather dangerous propellants being in close proximity with each other on a rolling and pitching ship. Most sea and land based liquid fuelled missiles are fuelled up before they are launched as a safety measure. Where this was not done there were accidents which led to deaths.

I think the Prithvi needs to be abandoned , since there are better system such as the Sagarika which can be adopted to the system.

They can if they adopt a SSM version of PDV which is solid fuelled as well as a canister version .

PS These guys at ITR are quite sneaky, they use Dhanush launches as a cover for other missiles like K15. So cannot be sure if its just Dhanush launch, plus it happened at night, so doubly unsure. my guess no proof.

I doubt there is any sneakyness involved in this. If the history of Indian R&D is testament then there is a general tendency to reveal much more than is needed just to play out on achievements.. which leads to the more calmer and smarter people in these matters banging their heads.

They can if they adopt a SSM version of PDV which is solid fuelled as well as a canister version .

Again, I am not much of a fan of Ship launched ballistic missiles. There is little precedent for it... especially when a system like the Arihant is coming online .

I doubt there is any sneakyness involved in this. If the history of Indian R&D is testament then there is a general tendency to reveal much more than is needed just to play out on achievements.. which leads to the more calmer and smarter people in these matters banging their heads.
Generally it is true, the only exception has been the K15 which was tested under the cover of dhanush test.
Also I think Dhanush is just a tech demo program with very little actual utility possible, It gives the Navy a place holder for ballistic missile and a third leg of deterrent even if in name only.

Back
Top Bottom