What's new

Shenzhen's new airport looks like something out of a sci-fi movie

Guess why the Chinese civilization endured when Egypt, Greece and Rome all fell into oblivion? We hung on to our language and culture, making us the oldest continuous civilization in the world today. Clothing, architecture, histories and our identities define who we are as a people. You want to throw all that away just to "blend in"?

The main reason China is considered the longest continuous civilization is because we are able to adapt and succeed in the changing times.

As for "blending in", that is impossible. Westerners will never understand what it means to be Chinese. So obviously we can't be copying Western culture, since the Westerners themselves cannot even begin to understand it.

Ninoy Aquino International Airport needs a new terminal. When I was in the Philippines, Terminal 1 was busy as f*ck. In fact, things were disorganized. The terminal is on it's full capacity.
293132_BnHover.jpg

Anyway, Shenzhen airport terminal looks cool.

Yeah looking good, But India is not far to make these things possible in our country.

I hope the designers also considered convenience with the grandiose architecture. One complain I have with ALL mainland Chinese facilities is that they tend to not have enough shop space, clean restaurant, and clean bathrooms. People smoke in Chinese bathrooms and managements turn blind eye. 
To be honest, I am not a big fan of these "future" designs, especially in large public projects. China seems to have become a testing ground for architects to experiment with strange building designs. It is of my opinion that government and public operated buildings should reflect China's own cultural heritage. It is really that hard to blend traditional Chinese architecture with modern design elements?

I second that. China hires way too many crazy western designers. Modern and futuristic architecture with China's traditional cultural touch will bring much more aesthetics instead of just steel and glass.

I think there is something very warm, cozy and homely about SE Asian architecture especially Chinese and it would be pretty exciting to see an airport in China which incorporates such designs and concepts which would give the immediate impression to foreign tourists who steps down from a plane and enters the terminal and reacts,"Okay!!Now I am in China":china: otherwise the reaction would be,"This Airport is just like the one shown in the American movie Minority report"!!:angry:

To be honest, I am not a big fan of these "future" designs, especially in large public projects. China seems to have become a testing ground for architects to experiment with strange building designs. It is of my opinion that government and public operated buildings should reflect China's own cultural heritage. It is really that hard to blend traditional Chinese architecture with modern design elements?

Well, I can only understand your feeling partially. But look at Europe, how many new buildings are still built like 100 or even 300 years ago? Even during the course of our history, the building style has changed dramatically, Romanic, Medieval, Gothic, Renaissance, Roccoco, Barock, Empire, Neo Classic, etc. From time to time, you would find some homage of old architecture in new buildings, but it's rare and a far cry from what they were.

What I really find strange are not the ultra modern buildings, as the modern building materials is the substance that architects have to work with, but rather the fake-ish and freakish looking wannabe Capitol, French château, German fachwerk and Dutch gracht houses.

I agree with Genesis, we all need to go with the modern world. The world changes, let's not get left behind. Chinese Culture is still in our hearts. We shall emit and introduce Chinese in a different modern manner. The world will agree, accept and change the thoughts they have about China. I am jumping on the modern ship, I don't know about you guys.

I have found some really well executed modern Chinese architecture that is modern and still gives you a Chinese feeling.

160442703_wang-shu-hangzhou-9823-528x347.jpg

the-china-academy-of-art-at-xiangshan-in-hangzhou-by-wang-shu.jpg

wang_shu_16.jpg

Wang-Shu-Wins-2012-Pritzker-Prize-main.jpg

LYCS-Architectures-Hangzhou-Spruce-Art-Center-lead-537x328.jpg

holistic_1.jpeg

l1050045.jpg

Congrats china,its indeed impressive work from the part of the dragon!

I think it is more about personal preference. Personally, I like modern looking structures. Culture heritage is important, but that doesn't mean we should not embrace changes.

Back
Top Bottom