What's new

Shenyang J-15 aircraft carrier-based aircraft

53ed1838ly1gde5nmvux9j21c00u0npd.jpg
53ed1838ly1gde5nov32sj21c00u01kz.jpg

Via @万全 from Weibo

Great ... but I want to see the new Batch 3 J-15s flying!

What are the improvement on batch 3 J-15? It has been more than a year since J-15 conducting rail launch on mock flight deck. Do you prefer EMALS or catapult launch? I prefer steam catapult because it's mechanical and easier to fix.

What are the improvement on batch 3 J-15? It has been more than a year since J-15 conducting rail launch on mock flight deck. Do you prefer EMALS or catapult launch? I prefer steam catapult because it's mechanical and easier to fix.

That's for the moment the Mio.$% question ... so far we've only seen it uses a different - aka green - anti-corrosion primer, but this could bean it is simply a different one or it could mean it covers a different surface material.

Otherwise we know nothing: if it uses WS-10 engines, if it has a new - maybe AESA - radar, if it is catapult capable ...

I think we simply have to wait for more images.

That's for the moment the Mio.$% question ... so far we've only seen it uses a different - aka green - anti-corrosion primer, but this could bean it is simply a different one or it could mean it covers a different surface material.

Otherwise we know nothing: if it uses WS-10 engines, if it has a new - maybe AESA - radar, if it is catapult capable ...

I think we simply have to wait for more images.

I remember you mentioned better paint coating to withstand sea salt. As for the radar, thought it's been using AESA all these while. Or is it because of still under testing and carrier trial, they fitted old pulse doppler radar from J11A/B temporarily until they are fit for active sea patrol? The only thing I could think of is newer WS10 TVC engine.

I remember you mentioned better paint coating to withstand sea salt. As for the radar, thought it's been using AESA all these while. Or is it because of still under testing and carrier trial, they fitted old pulse doppler radar from J11A/B temporarily until they are fit for active sea patrol? The only thing I could think of is newer WS10 TVC engine.

No. ... no J-15 is currently using an AESA and before using the WS-10 TVC variant, I would already more than happy if it would be powered by a regular WS-10 anyway.

What about J-15D?

I think the J-15D is some sort of a special bird, which si - at least by my understanding - not operational yet.
Also, given @kungfugymnast 's remark "it's been using AESA all these while", I was quite sure he meant the regular J-15.

By the way, what is your information concerning the Batch 03 and its radar and engines?

No. ... no J-15 is currently using an AESA and before using the WS-10 TVC variant, I would already more than happy if it would be powered by a regular WS-10 anyway.

J-15 is still on sea trial and at risk of crashing from failed launch. J-15 will only be fitted with old radar and engine until there's good launch system for carrier being truly functional. Why is it so difficult for China to come up with catapult launch that has been around in 50's that even French could develop their own in 60's? There are many commercial catapult technology that China could obtain if it has no access to US or French military technology.

I think the J-15D is some sort of a special bird, which si - at least by my understanding - not operational yet.
Also, given @kungfugymnast 's remark "it's been using AESA all these while", I was quite sure he meant the regular J-15.

By the way, what is your information concerning the Batch 03 and its radar and engines?

Only for J-15 assigned to land based are fitted with AESA & WS10B for pilots training and maritime offshore patrol. PLAN carrier fleet is not combat ready status.

J-15 is still on sea trial and at risk of crashing from failed launch. J-15 will only be fitted with old radar and engine until there's good launch system for carrier being truly functional. Why is it so difficult for China to come up with catapult launch that has been around in 50's that even French could develop their own in 60's? There are many commercial catapult technology that China could obtain if it has no access to US or French military technology.

Nope and I really don't know how you come to these strange conclusions? The J-15 might not have reached the same operational serviceability and performance like say the USN F/A-18E or French Rafale, but to call it "still on sea trial" is plain wrong.

Only for J-15 assigned to land based are fitted with AESA & WS10B for pilots training and maritime offshore patrol. PLAN carrier fleet is not combat ready status.

And here too a IMO very ridiculous statement: There are no such J-15s fitted with AESA & WS10B and others in standard configuration: We know exactly the same aircraft at Huangdicun and off the Liaoning with exactly the same fit, aka regular non-AESA radar and AL-31Fs.

Nope and I really don't know how you come to these strange conclusions? The J-15 might not have reached the same operational serviceability and performance like say the USN F/A-18E or French Rafale, but to call it "still on sea trial" is plain wrong.

And here too a IMO very ridiculous statement: There are no such J-15s fitted with AESA & WS10B and others in standard configuration: We know exactly the same aircraft at Huangdicun and off the Liaoning with exactly the same fit, aka regular non-AESA radar and AL-31Fs.

PLAN carrier is still waiting to confirm whether their next carrier could get catapult or EMALS ready. Ski jump is just not ideal for fighters on full load launch. That's why I call these J-15 on carrier still stuck with sea trial and training. They are pending for future to fix.

If what you said on the land based J-15 is true, I don't see what's the purpose of building that many if they aren't combat ready.

If what you said on the land based J-15 is true, I don't see what's the purpose of building that many if they aren't combat ready.

Exactly... ego, your assumption they are not combat capable is wrong.

Exactly... ego, your assumption they are not combat capable is wrong.

Not to say the J-15 with pulse doppler radar is entirely incapable. Only not as good as AESA in detection, tracking, ECCM against US advanced ECM, more manual work, slower response.

US will be flying latest fighters with AESA if they are up against China. J-15 as maritime fighters will be first to face the F-35C and F/A-18E/F if there's war. EA-18G will go for selective jamming fooling or distorting J-15 pulse doppler radar reducing its effective tracking and missile range worse than AESA that is less susceptible to jamming. US would have at least 4 aircraft carriers at war time, imagine how many US fighters are there launching 2 AMRAAMs at every fighters. US fighters with AESA radar could guide missiles to targets better.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom