What's new

'Share My Dabba' plan gets food left over in tiffins to street kids

illusion8

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
Enjoy your lunch? Now here's a chance to share that joy with someone less fortunate. The 'Share My Dabba' initiative aims to get food left over in dabbas to hungry street children, using just a tiny Share sticker and the extensive dabbawala network. The initiative is a joint effort between Happy Life Welfare Society and The Dabbawala Foundation.

Abhinav Tripathi, who uploaded the video explained that the red 'Share sticker' gives a system that can work within the dabbawala's existing system.

The Share sticker dabbas are simply kept aside while the dabbawala's sort the ones without stickers. In that window, volunteers give the food to children and repack the dabbas. Now the dabbawalas can sort these dabbas.

SHARE MY DABBA - A SMALL STICKER CAN MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE - YouTube

'Share My Dabba' plan gets food left over in tiffins to street kids

:smitten::smitten::smitten:

GREAT EFFORT!! :tup:
And its perfectly workable.
There are variants of this idea. One idea which is being carried out in TN (in Chennai, if I'm not mistaken) involves left-over food from Restaurants being collected late at night and being used to feed old, indigent and homeless people. Its working well.
Even you can do it in a small way. Next time that you eat out with family or friends; if there is food left-over--then ask the Restaurant Staff to pack it for you, take it out with you and give it somebody on the street.
Make sure that the food you paid for, ends up in somebody's stomach; not in a garbage bin.

GREAT EFFORT!! :tup:
And its perfectly workable.
There are variants of this idea. One idea which is being carried out in TN (in Chennai, if I'm not mistaken) involves left-over food from Restaurants being collected late at night and being used to feed old, indigent and homeless people. Its working well.
Even you can do it in a small way. Next time that you eat out with family or friends; if there is food left-over--then ask the Restaurant Staff to pack it for you, take it out with you and give it somebody on the street.
Make sure that the food you paid for, ends up in somebody's stomach; not in a garbage bin.

Food gets wasted in Marriages and parties like crazy - someone should do something similar with it.

lovely effort.....hats off to whoever came up with this idea

The best work is done remaining in the shadows - the organizers made it a point not to publicize themselves.

Food gets wasted in Marriages and parties like crazy - someone should do something similar with it.

Sure somebody should do something about it. How about you or someone like you?
Create awareness; then get some people together to collect the stuff from Marriage Halls etc; identify potential recepients who can be given the food e.g. orphanages, hostels for poor children, old people's homes, beggar's homes etc. and then JUST DO IT.
It will work; even better than your wildest dreams. You can even plan the days that you will need to go out for this purpose: the "auspicious days" in the almanac for marriages etc.
Quite simple.

Sure somebody should do something about it. How about you or someone like you?
Create awareness; then get some people together to collect the stuff from Marriage Halls etc; identify potential recepients who can be given the food e.g. orphanages, hostels for poor children, old people's homes, beggar's homes etc. and then JUST DO IT.
It will work; even better than your wildest dreams. You can even plan the days that you will need to go out for this purpose: the "auspicious days" in the almanac for marriages etc.
Quite simple.

Sure, will start off on that.

Sure, will start off on that.

You just need a few people to help. For transport; use your cars or even auto-rickshaws depending on the circumstances. If you know or are able to convince the Mariage Hall owners or Caterers, then you can borrow their utensils for delivery and return them later or leave some money as a refundable deposit. If that does not work then hire some containers.
Worst case scenario: use clean unused heavy duty P/E Bags/Garbage Bags for dry stuff and borrow metal buckets from your Grandma for liquid stuff. There is no shortage of ideas how to do it. Just needs the effort.

You just need a few people to help. For transport; use your cars or even auto-rickshaws depending on the circumstances. If you know or are able to convince the Mariage Hall owners or Caterers, then you can borrow their utensils for delivery and return them later or leave some money as a refundable deposit. If that does not work then hire some containers.
Worst case scenario: use clean unused heavy duty P/E Bags/Garbage Bags for dry stuff and borrow metal buckets from your Grandma for liquid stuff. There is no shortage of ideas how to do it. Just needs the effort.

Excellent suggestions - Keep 'em coming.

Oh; now you're looking for "free consultancy" eh? ;)

What's the harm in that? I actually liked your ideas and your push for me to do it too. A few friends will get together and brainstorm on it - and your ideas will give a start to it.

What's the harm in that? I actually liked your ideas and your push for me to do it too. A few friends will get together and brainstorm on it - and your ideas will give a start to it.

Hey, I was only kidding. :) I could feel your enthusiasm hence I said what I did. But those ideas have been used and I can vouch for their practicability.

Slightly off-topic; just google for the "Hole in the Wall" experiment and read up/see all that you find. You might find it to be a a terrefic revelation- I did some time ago. Now we are trying to use that as a model for some other stunts.
I can give you links for it; but will refrain from doing so.

Back
Top Bottom