What's new

Set Kashmir aside, focus on trade

mujahideen

Reaction score
Set Kashmir aside, focus on trade

ISLAMABAD (Agencies) - In a major shift from country’s long-standing position, PPP Co-Chairman Asif Ali Zardari has expressed readiness to set aside the Kashmir issue to focus on other aspects for improving relations with India.
He emphasised that the relations between India and Pakistan should not be held ‘hostage’ to the Kashmir issue and that the two countries ‘can wait’ so that future generations resolve the dispute in a mature manner in an atmosphere of ‘trust’.
In views reflecting India’s position, Zardari said he was determined to break the barriers and mindsets that deter trade between the two countries. “The idea is that we feel for Kashmir, the PPP has always felt for Kashmir. We have a strong Kashmir policy. We have always had one,” he said.
“But having said that, we don’t want to be hostage to that situation. That is a situation we can agree to disagree (on). Countries do, we have positions, you have positions. We can agree to disagree on everything,” he said this while speaking in CNN-IBN’s programme Devil’s Advocate.
Noting that India and Pakistan could “agree to disagree on (the UN resolutions),” he said. “We can wait. We can be patient till everybody grows up further. Maybe the coming generation grows up even further and then let’s interact as human beings and come to a position of love.”
Asked if the PPP would be willing to put aside the Kashmir issue just as India and China had set aside their border dispute to focus on other aspects of their ties, Zardari said: “Exactly.”
When bilateral relations improve, the two nations can come back and tackle thorny issues with the benefit of improved ties, Zardari said.
“Today, there are fixed notions. When dependency increases (and) we have matured enough (and) we’ve got trust between us, then nobody has fixed issues,” the PPP leader said.
Agreeing that Kashmir issue should be set aside for a wiser generation and a better time, he said: “As it is, it’s going to be a no-border world in the end.”
Asked about the Charter of Democracy signed by the PPP and the PML-N in 2006 that committed both parties to resolving Kashmir issue in line with UN resolutions, Zardari said, “I am not getting hostage to that issue.”
Disagreeing that the Kashmir issue could best be sorted out while the army is in power in Pakistan, Zardari said people-to-people contacts and inter-dependence in trade could help negate the ‘fear factor’ in both countries.
“Well, we’ve had army rule for eight years. Have they solved it? I don’t need to convince them, it talks for itself,” he argued.
While conceding that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and President Pervez Musharraf ‘may have probably had the best understanding ever’, he said: “I want to take (the relations) to a stage of such confidence-building that the fear factor diminishes from both angles.
“People-to-people contacts should be improved, then trade, inter-dependence of trade, if Indian industry depends on Pakistani energy and I depend on the Indian market for my product to be sold, we are both inter-dependent, financially integrated industry-wise.”
Asked if there would be support across the Pakistani political establishment for his views, Zardari said: “I think the economical dependency that I’m talking about, nobody has really made the Pakistanis aware what position they are (in) and what they can gain.
“When they realise that they can change, the world will change. Economically, it’s a thousand per cent leap we’ll get into and the benefit of the thousand per cent leap is going to (have an) effect across the board.”
About the response to a possible invitation for the new Pakistani Prime Minister to visit India, Zardari said he (the Prime Minister) would be accompanied by leaders from all other parties that are part of the government.
“I think the new PM of Pakistan will not only visit India, he will visit India with the political parties’ leaders following him. When he gets down, he’ll be first (with) me, Nawaz Sharif (of PML-N), Asfandyar Wali Khan (of ANP), hopefully Maulana Fazlur Rehman (of MMA), hopefully Altaf (Hussain)’s party (MQM). We should all walk behind him, greeting India,” he said.
The PPP leader added: “I think we should go further than that. Just not visiting and meeting... Let’s hit the road running let’s meet with concrete steps, let’s talk about SAARC, modern technology.”
Asked if such a move could trigger a backlash in Pakistan, he replied: “That’s what leadership is all about, that’s what popularity is all about the fact that I do something with the will of the people is my plus, not my minus.”
Describing Congress Party leader Sonia Gandhi as ‘too great’ for him to emulate, Zardari said his role in a new Pakistani government would be of someone who is with the administration, not above it.
“She’s too great for me to be Sonia,” he said when asked whether he intended to play a role like Congress President Sonia Gandhi in India.
“I don’t want to be above the government, I want to be with the government, supporting the government...,” said Zardari.
Asked what would be his role in the new government, Zardari said, “Well, I’ll take a leaf out of your politics and do something like an inter-political role. Talking to the allied parties, making democracy come alive.”
Zardari indicated that PPP is ‘rethinking’ its position on Makhdoom Amin Fahim being the PM candidate as it would have to choose a person who could take along its coalition partners with a new government in Pakistan.
After the PPP did not get a majority in the 18th February parliamentary polls due to ‘selective rigging’, it began ‘rethinking the position’ because of the considerations of forming a coalition government, according to the PPP Co-Chairman.
The issue of choosing the PM candidate was still ‘wide open’, he said. “Makhdoom Amin Fahim is a very senior person in our party and we respect him tremendously but at the moment the challenge that we are faced with we were looking (before the polls) at getting a two-thirds majority. We thought in the party that this is it, we are going to make it but somehow something happened,” Zardari said.
“It’s not that I need a different person. Now in the party we are rethinking the position. Amin Fahim is of course the first runner, we are just seeing how we are going to get out of this absolute challenge that we have been faced with,” he said.
Asked if choosing a PM candidate was causing a rift within the PPP, Zardari replied, “We haven’t really even come to the position where we have started to select. There are many front-runners.
“The choice of a final candidate is still a ‘few days away’. As the PPP is a ‘federal party’, the choice could be a candidate from Punjab, Balochistan or NWFP, he said.
Asked whether he was confident that PML-N chief Nawaz Sharif would support the PPP-led government for five years, Zardari said, “I think by and large it depends on the larger party because we’ve got the large mandate. We have to show humility, we have to take him into our heart and build confidence in my opponents.
When it was pointed out that the PML-N could become a larger party if defectors from the PML-Q joined it, he said, “I think the problems faced by Pakistan today are beyond the number games, are beyond the immediate politics. So I think the more we get down to business and the more we get into governance, we’ll realise that. When that dawns on everybody, we’ll all stand in line and start delivering.
Referring to Sharif’s demand for immediate impeachment of President Pervez Musharraf and reinstatement of judges deposed during last year’s emergency, Zardari said “No I don’t think it’s a problem. We realise that we have to mature as a democracy and Parliament is the replacement for the system.”

The Nation

Ties with India will not be hostage to Kashmir: Zardari

* PPP co-chairman claims Sonia Gandhi ‘too great’ a political figure for him to emulate

Daily Times Monitor

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan People’s Party (PPP) Co-chairman Asif Ali Zardari said on Saturday that good relations with India would not be held hostage to the Kashmir issue and the two countries would wait for the future generations to resolve the issue in an atmosphere of trust.

“That is a situation we can agree to disagree (on),” he told Karan Thapar in CNN-IBN’s programme Devil’s Advocate. “We can be patient till everybody grows up further.”

Zardari denied that the Kashmir issue could best be resolved while the army is in power in Pakistan.

Asif Zardari said the PPP was “rethinking” its position on Makhdoom Amin Fahim as the prime ministerial candidate and said it would have to choose a person who could take along its coalition partners.

Asked if choosing a candidate was causing a rift within the PPP, Zardari replied, “We haven’t really even come to the position where we have started to select. There are many front-runners.” He said the choice of a final candidate was still a “few days away”. The PPP was a “federal party” he added, so the candidate could belong to any province.

Sonia Gandhi: Zardari said Sonia Gandhi was “too great” for him to emulate, and his role in a new Pakistani government would be of someone who is with the administration, not above it.

Asked what would be his role in the new government, Zardari said, “Well, I’ll take a leaf out of your politics and do something like an inter-political role. Talking to the allied parties, making democracy come alive.”

Asked if the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) could become a larger party if defectors from the PML-Quaid joined it, he said, “I think the problems faced by Pakistan today are beyond the number games.”

Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan

Devil’s Advocate - karan thapar, well what is zardari infront of him, he can make a dead man dance to his tunes, reminds me of the first interview he did for the show which was with mush, karan was all over him. :guns:

i recall the last comment made by mush to karan - "its an apt title for the show".

good relations with India would not be held hostage to the Kashmir issue and the two countries would wait for the future generations to resolve the issue in an atmosphere of trust.

A sane thought

Keep Kashmir not on the boil, but simmering gently and talk trade is the answer to keep all sides of Pakistani opinion on the roll.

Devil’s Advocate - karan thapar, well what is zardari infront of him, he can make a dead man dance to his tunes, reminds me of the first interview he did for the show which was with mush, karan was all over him. :guns:

i recall the last comment made by mush to karan - "its an apt title for the show".

Bring him in front of me i will teach him how to over turn the tune ;)

Keep Kashmir not on the boil, but simmering gently and talk trade is the answer to keep all sides of Pakistani opinion on the roll.

Believe me I agree with you but we mustn't forget that the main reason for mistrust between the two nations is Kashmir. I think it is about time we get serious in talks over Kashmir. We can have all the trade in the world and all the CBM's but until this issue is solved India and Pakistan will never be able to call eachother freinds. I think if this issue is solved India can call Pakistan a friend like it calls Russia and Pakistan can call India a friend like it does China.

Well you know when India is standing with a hose on the Kashmir issue, aiming for a simmer isn't really the smart way forward.

You need to raise the issue in every venue. The goal HAS to be 'naak main dum'.

Of course do not sideline the other bilateral issues. But each activity should be wrapped around a hundred Free Kashmir initiatives. Zardari's party is elected. If he thinks Pakistanis want any unrealistic, unfair compromise, he's dead wrong.

What the hell. It seems Zardari have been offered partnership in Indian companies.
I expect no good from this scum.
What does India produce which Pakistan does not produce?
I do not favor any trade with India, wether Kashmir issue solved or not.
Trade will not help solve the bitter relations, which are not limited to Kashmir.
Where as Kashmir is the foremost of all disputes.
It is stupid to have trade relations while core disputes like Siachin and Kashmir are not solved.
Trade with India in present situation can be best described as 'sleeping with enemy'
I knew this guy is upto some special task and now it is clear. He is working on Indian agenda.
Now it is also clear what forces were behind the murder of Baynazir.

What the hell. It seems Zardari have been offered partnership in Indian companies.

Well I dont blame him Pakistani companies were offering him 10% and Indian companies are offering him 20%. And if American countries affer him 30% he would be willing to negotiate over FATA. You see their is a price if you want to win Zardari's heart and for the right price anything could happen.

His agenda is clear to you now?
Indian companies can offer him 50% to penetrate in such a big market.
He will take his revenge from Pakistan. Actually, all of them have no idea what is required to develop the country. foreign ecxhane reserves are full to soon they will be go down the drain.

Ah! the beauty of the dynasty politics that plague the sub-continent, filled with the westernized alcohol drinking, adulterating kleptomaniacs.When people like these stand up make a claim for the leadership of a "Muslim" country....and then the people choose them..well let just say they only thing "PAK" in Pakistan are the graves of saints,warriors and activities like Jinnah and Iqbal. I am personally glad this is happening, I hope the simpletons that voted again and again for these parties get what they deserve and those who did not vote to suffer for their complicity.

So unless & until Kashmir issue is resolved there cannot be trade or substantial dealings between India/Pak & Kashmir issue wouldn't get resolved unless there is mutual trust between two. This seems like chicken & egg problem.

So unless & until Kashmir issue is resolved there cannot be trade or substantial dealings between India/Pak & Kashmir issue wouldn't get resolved unless there is mutual trust between two. This seems like chicken & egg problem.

Their can only be mutual trust when the Kashmir issue is solved. We have been doing it India's way with the trade and economic collabrations, nows its time are way is tried which is solving the Kashmir issue.

Back
Top Bottom