What's new

Senior educationist Dr Bernadette leaves Pakistan after receiving death threats

Diggy

Reaction score
Country
India
55515cd2035f8.jpg

KARACHI: A senior educationist and member of the government-appointed advisory committee for curriculum and textbooks reforms has left the country ‘fearing for life’ after receiving threatening calls and facing a ‘hate propaganda campaign’, it emerged on Monday.

Dr Bernadette L. Dean, director of VM Institute for Education and former principal of St Joseph’s College for Women and Kinnaird College, in an email sent to her friends and colleagues first said ‘sorry’ that she had not been able to contact them in recent days and then described reasons for that. She said she had to leave Pakistan fearing for her life on the advice of family, friends, colleagues and police.

She said a political party was instrumental in unleashing the ‘hate campaign’ against her for writing textbooks as a member of the advisory committee. “This campaign started a few months ago with threatening phone calls to members of the advisory committee on curriculum and textbook reform and Sindh Textbook Board, visits of religious leaders from the Punjab and Sindh to the STBB to complain about me and the work I am doing with respect to textbook writing, a vicious letter accusing me of being a foreigner woman who has single-handedly made changes to the curriculum and textbooks that made them secular and called me an enemy of Islam.”

With her email, she also attached multiple files. One of them included a letter to the Karachi police chief from a civil society organisation appealing for the removal of banners against her put up by the political party.

She also referred to the ‘All-Parties Conference’ held at the Karachi Press Club in April where she had been blamed for carrying out such amendments to the curricula. She raised the concern with the authorities but in vain, said the email.

The fresh statement from Dr Dean came just weeks after the gun attack on an American national, Debra Lobo, on Shaheed-i-Millat Road. Mrs Lobo, the Jinnah Medical and Dental College vice principal for student affairs, was seriously wounded in the attack carried out by four unidentified gunmen on Shaheed-i-Millat Road. In her email, Dr Dean also clarified her role as a member of the committee citing that she just co-authored the reformed books with Muslim authors and all the books were reviewed multiple times before being approved.

“The New National Curriculum 2006 approved by the federal government included Islamiat as part of general knowledge in class 1-2 and from grade 3 Islamiat was made a separate subject,” she said.

“The decision was taken at that time that Islamiat-related content would be removed from the other subjects, as Islamiat is a compulsory subject for grade 3 onwards,” she explained.

Dr Dean said the new national curriculum 2006 was reviewed by a committee appointed by the Sindh government following the devolution of power to the provinces for education.

With some minor changes, it was approved in 2011 and textbook writing based on it began in 2012, she added.

“The textbooks for class 1 were written, reviewed, published and distributed to schools in 2013. Books 2-4 in 2014 and Books for class 5 in 2015,” she stated in the email.

“The general knowledge books 1-3 and social studies books 4-5 are co-authored by me. All the co-authors are Muslim and they were responsible for writing the Islamiat sections. Moreover, all the books go through an internal review and a provincial review,” she explained.

Dr Dean has served as principal of St Joseph’s College for Women, Karachi, principal of Kinnaird College for Women, Lahore, and as professor at the Aga Khan University. She has a PhD in education from the University of Alberta, Canada.

Senior educationist Dr Bernadette leaves Pakistan after receiving death threats - Pakistan - DAWN.COM

The nation don't want to see any liberals or secular forces dealing with our text books we wish to see the likes Molvi Muunawar Hassan , molvi Abdul aziz his wife hafsa and aswj's farooqi to take over the books and write the correct history of this great Islamic nation

i should help you kiddo that is at least 26 days old news bot look at this
Teenager gang raped, blackmailed, then burnt alive in India
Chhattisgarh: Man burns children to death after woman resists rape | The Indian Express
i hope this will control bleeding happening inside your body due to use of low quality lubricant.
My blind friend read the article again this incident is mentioned in OP so why not source too.

And i could also post rape of 48 dead bodies and A news about small boys in jinnah park karanchi

My blind friend read the article again this incident is mentioned in OP so why not source too.
The article of OP post is 4 hour old while you posted link is dated 16 April 2015 it's clearly trolling.

The article of OP post is 4 hour old while you posted link is dated 16 April 2015 it's clearly trolling.
Read the 6 th Para BTW no trolling intended but if you felt that way i shall delete it.

Sir don't you think it's under the belt to bring Rape and personal attacks here.
not indeed i fell deeply for both cases, but these type of guys start unnecessary trolling this type of things happen everywhere only we troll by using Rape and Murder cases i already pointed in thread to stop this if i was a pathetic troll you can think i should have posted this as OP.

The nation don't want to see any liberals or secular forces dealing with our text books we wish to see the likes Molvi Muunawar Hassan , molvi Abdul aziz his wife hafsa and aswj's farooqi to take over the books and write the correct history of this great Islamic nation

No, take these Molavies and other radical, extremist mind people away from Textbooks and more over foreigners or other religious minds also should take rest.

btw, we are Pakistani nation not Islamic nation because Islam is the majority religion of the Nation.
Why don't you think before writing? That's not too difficult.......hmmm?

India a place where theres no law to prevent women from getting banged on the side of the roads, or a law where it prevents people from shitting infront of one another.

Pakistan,Bangladesh has no law where educationalists,bloggers shot dead most of the time & still bash others.

Lets open one more Madarsa and appoint a Mullah for preparing textbooks. That serves the mood and attitudes of this nation well, lets dig up further in the ground and crawl inside.

not indeed i fell deeply for both cases, but these type of guys start unnecessary trolling this type of things happen everywhere only we troll by using Rape and Murder cases i already pointed in thread to stop this if i was a pathetic troll you can think i should have posted this as OP.
What was trolling in that? linking the news which triggered an educationist to take the step of leaving a country? or bringing a totally non-linking articles that too of rape (as if no rape happens in pakistan or any where in the world?)???? Do we start posting beheading video done by your ilks and start defaming the islam as a generalization???

btw, we are Pakistani nation not Islamic nation because Islam is the majority religion of the Nation.
Why don't you think before writing? That's not too difficult.......hmmm?
Sorry, you are wrong, the constitution of Pakistan state it very clearly.."Islamic Republic of Pakistan"

Lets open one more Madarsa and appoint a Mullah for preparing textbooks. That serves the mood and attitudes of this nation well, lets dig up further in the ground and crawl inside.
I see lots of open minded Pakistani in the forum who are opposed to Islamization of Pakistan..Is there a way you guys can voice your opinion to the government? Because these small small incidents slowly lead the country and society to totally degradation. (there are instances in India too btw but on different topics)

Back
Top Bottom