What's new

Self measures that needs to be taken - Coronavirus potential outbreak in Pakistan

I am a doctor. Please dont spread this misinformation which has zero evidence.

Testing for identification of suspected cases, strict isolation and quarantine is needed. Stop going out for unnecessary errands. Saudi and UAE stopped congregation in mosques even… but seems we are still sleeping. See the graphic I posted re projections.

Please look up the medical definitions of isolation and quarantine.

I come from a family of doctors, if you want to compare!

And my post is for those infected. It is NOT about TRANSMISSION!

As a doctor, you should know to read fully before responding.

Last edited:
New coronavirus can persist in air for hours, on surfaces for days: study

Reuters

March 18, 2020

5e71c0b280470.jpg

A worker sprays disinfectant to sanitize a public bus as a preventive measure against COVID-19 in Kathmandu on March 18. — AFP

The highly contagious novel coronavirus that has exploded into a global pandemic can remain viable and infectious in droplets in the air for hours and on surfaces up to days, according to a new study that should offer guidance to help people avoid contracting the respiratory illness called COVID-19.

Scientists from the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), part of the US National Institutes of Health, attempted to mimic the virus deposited from an infected person onto everyday surfaces in a household or hospital setting, such as through coughing or touching objects.

They used a device to dispense an aerosol that duplicated the microscopic droplets created in a cough or a sneeze.

The scientists then investigated how long the virus remained infectious on these surfaces, according to the study that appeared online in the New England Journal of Medicine on Tuesday — a day in which US COVID-19 cases surged past 5,200 and deaths approached 100.

The tests show that when the virus is carried by the droplets released when someone coughs or sneezes, it remains viable, or able to still infect people, in aerosols for at least three hours.

On plastic and stainless steel, viable virus could be detected after three days. On cardboard, the virus was not viable after 24 hours. On copper, it took 4 hours for the virus to become inactivated.

In terms of half-life, the research team found that it takes about 66 minutes for half the virus particles to lose function if they are in an aerosol droplet.

That means that after another hour and six minutes, three-quarters of the virus particles will be essentially inactivated but 25 per cent will still be viable.

The amount of viable virus at the end of the third hour will be down to 12.5pc, according to the research led by Neeltje van Doremalen of the NIAID’s Montana facility at Rocky Mountain Laboratories.

On stainless steel, it takes 5 hours 38 minutes for half of the virus particles to become inactive. On plastic, the half-life is 6 hours 49 minutes, researchers found.

On cardboard, the half-life was about three-and-a half-hours, but the researchers said there was a lot of variability in those results “so we advise caution” interpreting that number.

The shortest survival time was on copper, where half the virus became inactivated within 46 minutes.

Lots of misinfo out there.
Those infected need isolation.
There is no evidence for what you have stated. Am very happy for my knowledge to be increased if you can share (no pun intended). Thanks.

Lots of misinfo out there.
Those infected need isolation.
There is no evidence for what you have stated. Am very happy for my knowledge to be increased if you can share (no pun intended). Thanks.

Explain how lungs are infected in flu and COVID19! Explain the exact process in detail, from nose/throat to lungs.

Isolation doesn't stop Lung infection. It stops transmission only.

Based on personal experiences with flu and most likely this virus 3 weeks ago in UK, I would strong advise all those infected to do all they can to stop the low level of nose drip getting down to lungs.

Keep blowing out of nose and cough out all the phlegm stuck in throat, DO NOT swallow or snort it down the lungs!

One table spoon of salt in hot water and gargle. After gargle blow your nose and cough out everything.

Do not sleep with your head higher then your chest. Lung infections from flu and such viruses accelerate during sleep. Sleep sideways with head at level of chest. Any little build up should be blown/coughed out immediately. It's better to sleep less than letting this virus get in your lungs!

I totally disapprove of patients laying on hospital beds and at home in such positions where gravity plays the role in taking the phlegm/nose drip down to lungs!

Blow your nose and induce phlegm exiting throat clearing cough until you no longer feel anything stuck in nose/throat. REPEAT, REPEAT and REPEAT for as many days needed.

Do not swallow and snort the phlegm!

Boxes of tissues at hand!

@Ace of Spades @Mangus Ortus Novem @PakSword @StormBreaker ... Please tag others as well
How are you guys now Sir ?

How are you guys now Sir ?

We are doing okay Alhamdulillah. Thanks for asking bro. How about you all?

Working from home until further notice. Kids still in school but considering pulling them out now. Most likely schools will be shut at the end of this week or sometimes next week. One son has asthma hence the pending decision.

Had to drive to Cardiff city (20 miles) to get milk last night. Panic buying is getting out of hand.

We are doing okay Alhamdulillah. Thanks for asking bro. How about you all?

Working from home until further notice. Kids still in school but considering pulling them out now. Most likely schools will be shut at the end of this week or sometimes next week. One son has asthma hence the pending decision.

Had to drive to Cardiff city to get milk last night. Panic buying is getting out of hand.
Government seems active here despite of whatever their selfish hidden reasons could be behind, but measures are being taken strongly and also sindh police is actively implementing them...

If only they become this good forever...

Government seems active here despite of whatever their selfish hidden reasons could be behind, but measures are being taken strongly and also sindh police is actively implementing them...

If only they become this good forever...

It's actually good to see early actions being taken in Pakistan.

There's a lesson in it for all of us. Maybe this will unite the people as only a united fight can defeat this pandemic.

Explain how lungs are infected in flu and COVID19! Explain the exact process in detail, from nose/throat to lungs.

Isolation doesn't stop Lung infection. It stops transmission only.
Evidence sir… evidence?

This post is for those INFECTED and how to REDUCE THE RISK of Lungs being infected.

This is NOT about reducing or stopping TRANSMISSION.

Based on personal experiences with flu and most likely this virus 3 weeks ago in UK, I would strong advise all those infected to do all they can to stop the low level of nose drip getting down to lungs.

Keep blowing out of nose and cough/spit out all the phlegm stuck in throat, DO NOT swallow or snort it down the lungs!

One table spoon of salt in hot water and gargle. After gargle blow your nose and cough out everything.

Do not sleep with your head higher then your chest. Lung infections from flu and such viruses accelerate during sleep. Sleep sideways with head at level of chest. Any little build up should be blown/coughed+spat out immediately. It's better to sleep less than letting this virus get in your lungs!

I totally disapprove of patients laying on hospital beds and at home in such positions where gravity plays the role in taking the phlegm/nose drip down to lungs!

Blow your nose and induce phlegm exiting throat clearing cough/spit until you no longer feel anything stuck in nose/throat. REPEAT, REPEAT and REPEAT for as many days needed.

Do not swallow and snort the phlegm!

Boxes of tissues at hand!

@Ace of Spades @Mangus Ortus Novem @PakSword @StormBreaker ... Please tag others as well

I am a doctor. Please dont spread this misinformation which has zero evidence.

Testing for identification of suspected cases, strict isolation and quarantine is needed. Stop going out for unnecessary errands. Saudi and UAE stopped congregation in mosques even… but seems we are still sleeping. See the graphic I posted re projections.

Please look up the medical definitions of isolation and quarantine.

Please read disclaimer. My crude projections ; am a doctor but not an expert in stats modelling. Feel free to share. Thanks.

Since both of you guys will understand medical terminology; i will use as such. Covid-19 patients with upper mild to severe presentation are developing pneumonia. Studies are showing that lung CT of covid-19 patients' are presenting with ground glass opacities which are bilateral, peripheral and basal. Clearance of lungs will indeed would be problem, with alveolar collapse to inflammation/ productive pneumonia. The goal would indeed be to excrete the mucus rather to snort it in.

Now for the positioning of the patient; the patients with labored breathing the ideal position is to NOT put them in supine lying position with out head support (pillow). But rather to take away the stress from diaphragm, so in supine lying position; patients shall be in side-lying with good lung down to prevent V/Q mismatch and pillow between knees. If bilaterally it's same, may be in straight lying with pillows under head and knees. In sitting; forward sitting with pillow under elbows and forward bending.

Explain the process from nose/throat to lungs leading to pneumonia, Mr Doctor. You should know it very well!
Hi ,
Dont get angry now.
You have posted some totkas and I don't believe them. Medical advice comes with evidence from peer reviewed journals. Please provide them and I will thank you for this new information ℹ️.
Specifically the phlegm part.
Many thanks again.

I was warned by colleagues not to correct people giving medical advice online on forums/blogs/facebook groups as they felt no one wants to be corrected and an argument follows; they were right. I made a mistake. Please believe what you want to.

Viral particles don't need fluids/phlegm in the airways and the whole respiratory system. One breaths in the virus directly or breaths it in after it has infected ones upper airway. The phlegm/fluid part is thus not of any consequence in a viral infection going into the lungs. A secondary bacterial infection can potentially spread by fluid/phlegm aspiration from the upper Airways but we are talking about the SARS-Cov2 virus here (not bacteria) - a type of coronavirus which causes the disease known as COVID-19 - the current pandemic. Thi virus has been detected in multiple organs of patients who died including the lungs and the blood. There is zero evidence of the effect of swallowing/spitting phlegm or body position in sleep on the severity of infection and prognosis. As requested please share any evidence about this to increase my knowledge ( again no pun intended )

Thank you.

Wilder-Smith et al. The Lancet. Infectious Diseases. March 2020.

Cifuentes-Muñoz. PLoS Pathos. 2018.

Guo et al. Military Medical Research. March 2020.

It's actually good to see early actions being taken in Pakistan.

There's a lesson in it for all of us. Maybe this will unite the people as only a united fight can defeat this pandemic.
Kaash...

Hi ,
Dont get angry now.
You have posted some totkas and I don't believe them. Medical advice comes with evidence from peer reviewed journals. Please provide them and I will thank you for this new information ℹ️.
Many thanks again.

I was warned by colleagues not to correct people giving medical advice online on forums/blogs/facebook groups as they felt no one wants to be corrected and an argument follows; they were right. I made a mistake. Please believe what you want to.

Viral particles don't need fluids/phlegm in the airways and the whole respiratory system. One breaths in the virus directly or breaths it in after it has infected ones upper airway. The phlegm/fluid part is thus not of any consequence in a viral infection going into the lungs. A secondary bacterial infection can potentially spread by fluid/phlegm aspiration from the upper Airways but we are talking about the SARS-Cov2 virus here (not bacteria) - a type of coronavirus which causes the disease known as COVID-19 - the current pandemic. Thi virus has been detected in multiple organs of patients who died including the lungs and the blood. There is zero evidence of the effect of swallowing/spitting phlegm or body position in sleep on the severity of infection and prognosis. As requested please share any evidence about this to increase my knowledge ( again no pun intended )

Thank you.

Since both of you guys will understand medical terminology; i will use as such. Covid-19 patients with upper mild to severe presentation are developing pneumonia. Studies are showing that lung CT of covid-19 patients' are presenting with ground glass opacities which are bilateral, peripheral and basal. Clearance of lungs will indeed would be problem, with alveolar collapse to inflammation/ productive pneumonia. The goal would indeed be to excrete the mucus rather to snort it in.

Now for the positioning of the patient; the patients with labored breathing the ideal position is to NOT put them in supine lying position with out head support (pillow). But rather to take away the stress from diaphragm, so in supine lying position; patients shall be in side-lying with good lung down to prevent V/Q mismatch and pillow between knees. If bilaterally it's same, may be in straight lying with pillows under head and knees. In sitting; forward sitting with pillow under elbows and forward bending.
Yes once ARDS or Resp failure starts (or anything indicative of such) then measures to improve lung function are required as mentioned in the quoted post.

The goal would indeed be to excrete the mucus rather to snort it in.

Thank you.

Hi ,
Dont get angry now.
Many thanks again.

Thank you.

See above the response from @Ace of Spades

Virus is in the whole body yes hence fever but lung collapse is due to mucus containing the highest concentration of virus reaching the lungs.

It's proven by scientists working on this already that throat contains the highest concentration of the Coronavirus with highest transmission levels within first 2-3 days of infection setting in throat.

Back
Top Bottom