What's new

Scoped AK-47s how effective are they?

R4 is no good for hunting - it was not designed for it. 5.56mm is useless for any larger game than an impala. In SA, R4 is illegal for civilian use - only R5 is allowed but severely modified mechanism. I am not sure where you got it. We were not allowed to take it off base under any circumstances. The new rules of firearm possession are more stricter than before. In Namibia and Botswana it is impossible to have a firearm.
I don't know how the farmer got hold of the R4 (it was his btw). The only reason he used it was because the his rifle ran out of ammo and they were after a wounded buck...they only tracked it and finished it off the next day (it was supposed to be a one day hunt so that's why he did not bring lots of bullets). And if the 5.56 can't even kill medium sized buck how is it supposed to be effective on humans ? I have read articles about how the US forces are finding themselves shooting the Taliban multiple times to disable them. Regarding the new firearm laws, in the vrystaat we are finding it easier to get guns...the process is much faster now (about 1 month to get a license)...I don't know what the situation is in the rest of SA.

automatic or semi auto rifles are forbidden for any civilian possession under any circumstance. You can apply for any other regular firearm but any auto/semi-auto rifle is strictly off limits in RSA.

The AK with a telescopic sight would be horrible as it is not that accurate, however the G3 could be used and is actually used by the Germans in a DMR role for ISAF.

Not very much... Unless you have a metal arm like bucky. Lol and are firing on semi-

Well it depends on what you mean by scoped... If you mean a proper scope (telescopic sight) then I think that it is quite useless. Generally the scopes are mounted quite far in front (over the gas tube) because the receiver cover is loose and moves about during firing. This means that you don't get a good sight picture. Some Aks have a side rail for mounting scopes and I suppose that these are OK. Scopes are meant for accurate shooting at longer ranges. Since the AK is designed to engage targets out to 300 meters and the rifle itself is not too accurate the scope is not really necessary.
Red dot sights and ACOG on the other hand are pretty useful on the AK as they allow for easier target acquisition than the iron sights and are more accurate.

R.I.P to those people who put telescopic sights on a 9mm MP5 :what::what:
Also, What about the PSO 1 scopes the Ruskies use on their AK74Ms and other AK weapons like the AN 94? Those are Scopes too since they're 4x, Aren't they? They're effective too. But it would be more sensible to put a scope on a G3 than on a Type 56.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom