What's new

Scoped AK-47s how effective are they?

Reaction score
Country
Barbados
i've been noticing in many pictures in operational areas and none operational areas the pak army operating scoped AKs, I've looked more into it and allot of people say having a scope makes little difference on an AK-47? so I was wondering how effective is a scoped AK, many people who have used one have said it makes little difference in performance.

Well it depends on what you mean by scoped... If you mean a proper scope (telescopic sight) then I think that it is quite useless. Generally the scopes are mounted quite far in front (over the gas tube) because the receiver cover is loose and moves about during firing. This means that you don't get a good sight picture. Some Aks have a side rail for mounting scopes and I suppose that these are OK. Scopes are meant for accurate shooting at longer ranges. Since the AK is designed to engage targets out to 300 meters and the rifle itself is not too accurate the scope is not really necessary.
Red dot sights and ACOG on the other hand are pretty useful on the AK as they allow for easier target acquisition than the iron sights and are more accurate.

i've been noticing in many pictures in operational areas and none operational areas the pak army operating scoped AKs, I've looked more into it and allot of people say having a scope makes little difference on an AK-47? so I was wondering how effective is a scoped AK, many people who have used one have said it makes little difference in performance.
I've seen that too and my first thought has always been "pointless". Red dot sights are a fine addition to the AKs, but telescopic sights on a automatic rifle with such a limited range? What a waste of time. I've seen (once) a scope on a MP-5 and my thinking was the same.

I've seen that too and my first thought has always been "pointless". Red dot sights are a fine addition to the AKs, but telescopic sights on a automatic rifle with such a limited range? What a waste of time. I've seen (once) a scope on a MP-5 and my thinking was the same.

When 20-30 soldiers fighting 150-200 talibs, what do you think would be beneficial, gun without telescopic sight, blind shooting, run out of ammo and talibs over ran your checkpost/ position. That happened or happens quite a lot. Or preserve your ammo, make accurate shots through telescopic sights?

When 20-30 soldiers fighting 150-200 talibs, what do you think would be beneficial, gun without telescope, blind shooting, run out of ammo and talibs over ran your checkpost/ position. That happened or happens quite a lot. Or preserve your ammo, make accurate shots through telescopes ?
Why not just have red dot sights? The telescopic sights will be next to useless on a rifle like the AK.

Usually when I see the scope I also see the fore grip. It's better than just a plain AK. It will improve your accuracy.

Why not just have red dot sights? The telescopic sights will be next to useless on a rifle like the AK.

Talibs usually have a high ground and RPG's and snipers with them and attack usually began after midnight. You want soldiers give away their position using red dot sights and make life easy for talibs so they can concentrate their whole firepower there ?

Talibs usually have a high ground and RPG's and snipers with them and attack usually began after midnight. You want soldiers give away their position using red dot sights and make life easy for talibs so they can concentrate their whole firepower there ?

Mortars and snipers on our side are the answer !

When 20-30 soldiers fighting 150-200 talibs, what do you think would be beneficial, gun without telescopic sight, blind shooting, run out of ammo and talibs over ran your checkpost/ position. That happened or happens quite a lot. Or preserve your ammo, make accurate shots through telescopic sights?
If accuracy is the main concern why not use G3s with scopes

A simple side mount is cheap, and the way the AK was originally intended to have optics mounted anyway.

reflex/holographic site makes the best use of the gun's quick handling characteristics

Usually guys on checkpost didn't have these

Yes thats the Problem, our Sodliers which are at checkposts and in the posts at the mountains, need a KEY a way to call close support, which can be only come via AIR or a mechanized force which must be for 24 hours ready to reach every point in the hostile area in 20-30 minutes. This is the time window which the Soldiers must fight till last men and bullet must survive.

We need a order like that here Order No. 227 for the whole Army, Frontier Corps and Police, to teach the enemy that attacking our Pakistan will be answered by harder battle and punishment !

Read that my friend:

Order No. 227

Order No. 227 issued on July 28, 1942 was a grand order issued by Joseph Stalin who was acting as the People's Commissar of Defense. It is famous for its line "Not one step back!".No commander and Soldier had the right to retreat without an order. Anyone who did so was subject to a military tribunal of the corresponding seniority level or shoot from the commanders.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom