What's new

Scientists edge closer to Star Trek’s teleporting beam

SpArK

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
Scientists edge closer to Star Trek’s teleporting beam

London, Sep 9 – The catch-phrase ‘Beam me up, Scotty’ of the iconic ‘Star Trek’ serial could be close to reality with scientists successfully teleporting objects from one place to another with the help of energy rays.

A team of scientists at the Australian National University in Canberra, using tractor beams – rays that can move objects – have managed to shift tiny particles up to 59 inches from one spot to another.

Researcher Andrei Rhode said his team’s technique can move objects 100 times bigger over a distance of almost five feet, reports the Daily Mail.

The method involves shining a hollow laser beam around tiny glass particles which heats up the air around them, but the centre of the beam which strikes the particles stays cool resulting in their being drawn towards the beam’s warm edges.

However, the heated air molecules that are bouncing around strike the surface of the glass particles and nudge them back to the cooler centre.

Rhode explained that by using two laser beams, the particles can be manipulated to move in different directions.

‘We think the technique could work over even longer distances than those we’ve tested. With the particles and the laser we use, I would guess up to 10 metres (about 33ft),’ he said.

The maximum distance he and his team could achieve was limited by the lab equipment.

But he said that unlike the beams in Star Trek, his technique would not work in outer space, where there is a vacuum.

‘On Earth, though, there are many possible applications, such as being able to move dangerous substances and microbes.’

Scientists edge closer to Star Trek’s teleporting beam | Science / Technology

Such an interesting news and nobody comment on it. :rolleyes:

How is pushing something using lasers similar to teleportation?? o_O

Beaming something up is nearly impossible, and I think will stay that way.

To beam someone, one would need to record all the information (like spin, flavour, momentum, etc) at that exact moment of all the sub atomic particles in the body. This alone would require unimaginable amount of hard disk space.

Then one would have to reassemble a person, particle by particle, using above information, with exact same properties!!! This is like killing a person and giving birth to them again. And the question would remain is, is it the same person that is re-created or different one.

So according to me Teleportation....this way....is impossible

To beam someone, one would need to record all the information (like spin, flavour, momentum, etc) at that exact moment of all the sub atomic particles in the body. This alone would require unimaginable amount of hard disk space.
With conventional hard disk, yes.

But think about DNA. It has so much information that our current technology still can't even compete with it now. What if we store information like DNA?

With conventional hard disk, yes.

But think about DNA. It has so much information that our current technology still can't even compete with it now. What if we store information like DNA?

DNA in a single cell holds all the information required for Humans, and that is a LOT. But compared to the number of atoms in the body (about 7*10^27 atoms in body) and their characteristic, even DNA seems like minuscule. And that is just atoms, if we start counting sub atomic particles such as Quarks and Leptons, the number would be even higher.

Plus each of these particles have spin, charge, colour charge, flavour and mass which is different. Storing this much is currently impossible. Though with advancing computer technology and everything going to nanoscale, it may be possible to hold all that information.

But even if we can hold all that information, how the heck do we read all that information! and then disassemble the person and then re-assemble???? :blink:

DNA in a single cell holds all the information required for Humans, and that is a LOT. But compared to the number of atoms in the body (about 7*10^27 atoms in body) and their characteristic, even DNA seems like minuscule. And that is just atoms, if we start counting sub atomic particles such as Quarks and Leptons, the number would be even higher.

Plus each of these particles have spin, charge, colour charge, flavour and mass which is different. Storing this much is currently impossible. Though with advancing computer technology and everything going to nanoscale, it may be possible to hold all that information.

But even if we can hold all that information, how the heck do we read all that information! and then disassemble the person and then re-assemble???? :blink:
I was reading on PDF somewhere about faster then light, (FTL), drive. If we do achieve that, can our bodies, whose mass will be close to zero, be guided along a laser? Won't that take care of the assembling and disassembling process?

Just FYI a little interesting trivia about this particular phrase - "beam me up, Scotty":
Though it has become irrevocably associated with the (Star Trek) series and movies, the exact phrase was never actually spoken in any Star Trek television episode or film.

Just like another famous misquotation from Sherlock Holmes series - "Elementary, my dear Watson".

Australian scientists came up with it! \o/

I was reading on PDF somewhere about faster then light, (FTL), drive. If we do achieve that, can our bodies, whose mass will be close to zero, be guided along a laser? Won't that take care of the assembling and disassembling process?

As far as I know, all the currently proposed theories to travel faster than light involves going around the speed of the light limit. None of them proposes to actually beat the speed of light.

For example, Worm holes, Alcubierre drive, Hyperspace, etc are all ways to travel FTL without actually breaking speed of light barrier as per Special/General Relativity. All of these involves bending, distorting or warping spacetime.

Accelerating a body with non-zero mass to a speed FTL would require infinite energy.

Btw, I don't understand what you mean by "our bodies, whose mass will be close to zero" <-- how will our bodies suddenly loose mass?

A great article explaining this experiment can be found at ABC news. See the October 23, 1998 issue of Science magazine for the article in full, or read the Caltech press release for a summary.

In quantum teleportation, an unknown quantum state is faithfully transferred from a sender (Alice) to a receiver (Bob). To perform the teleportation, Alice and Bob must have a classical communication channel and must also share quantum entanglement -- in the protocol we employ*, each possesses one half of a two-particle entangled state. Alice makes an appropriate projective measurement (Bell measurement) of the unknown state together with her component of the shared entangled state. The result of this measurement is a random piece of classical information which Alice sends to Bob over their classical communication channel. Bob uses this information to choose a unitary transformation which he performs on his component of the shared entangled state, thus transforming it into an output state identical to the original (unknown) input. Notice that the input state is destroyed by Alice's projective measurement, so that teleportation does not result in "cloning" of a quantum state.

Quantum Teleportation

Can almost hear it now, "Very funny Scotty. Now beam the rest of me up!"

Back
Top Bottom