What's new

School bombing exposes Obama’s secret war inside Pakistan

ameer219

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
The discovery of three American soldiers among the dead in a suicide bombing at the opening of a girls’ school in the northwestern Pakistan town of Dir last week reignited the fears of many Pakistanis that Washington was set on invading their country.

Barack Obama has banned the Bush-era term “war on terror” and dithered about sending extra troops to Afghanistan, but across the border in Pakistan, the US president has dramatically stepped up the covert war against Islamic extremists.

US airstrikes in Pakistan, launched from unmanned drones, are now averaging three a week, triple the number last year. “We're quietly seeing a geographical shift,” an intelligence officer said.

For the past month drones have pounded the tribal region of North Waziristan in apparent retaliation for the murder of seven CIA officers in Afghanistan by a Jordanian suicide bomber working with the Pakistani Taliban.

Last week America launched its first multiple drone attack, according to Pakistani security officials. Eighteen missiles were fired from eight unmanned aircraft in Dattakhel village, killing 16 people.

The discovery of the dead US soldiers revealed that America’s shadowy war in Pakistan not only involves drones but also small cadres of special operations soldiers.

Pakistan’s foreign minister, Shah Mehmood Qureshi, insisted that US troops were in Pakistan only to provide counter-insurgency training for the Frontier Corps, a paramilitary force operating in the tribal areas.

Other sources said there were about 200 US military inside the country. “I’m not sure you could just call it training,” one official said. “They are hardly behind the wire if they are on trips to schools in Dir.”

The three US soldiers, who have been described variously as special operations forces and civil affairs troops, were killed when their convoy was bombed as it travelled to the re-opening of the school. It had been rebuilt with US aid after being bombed by the Taliban last year.

Three schoolgirls, two villagers and a Pakistani soldier were also killed in the attack, for which the Pakistani Taliban claimed responsibility. More than 100 were wounded, mostly schoolgirls.

It was officially reported that the device was a remote-controlled bomb. It has now emerged that a suicide bomber rammed into the vehicle carrying the Americans. This suggests the bomber had inside information. “This attack was too perfect: they lay in wait for the convoy to pass and knew exactly which vehicle to hit,” a US military officer said.

One of those killed was Sergeant Matthew Sluss-Tiller, 35, the father of a three-year-old daughter. His mother, Jane Blankenship, said her son had been in Pakistan on a civil affairs mission and had grown a beard for it.

One official suggested the “trainers” may be used to pick up intelligence on drone targets, particularly because the CIA did not trust its counterparts from the ISI, the Pakistani intelligence service that has close links to the Taliban.

The Americans insist the drone attacks have been a success, picking off the second and third tier of Al-Qaeda’s leadership. In August they killed Baitullah Mehsud, leader of the Pakistani Taliban. They recently claimed to have killed his successor, Hakimullah Mehsud, but Pakistan’s foreign minister said this had not been confirmed.

To the irritation of Washington, Islamabad has kept up a pretence that drone attacks are carried out without its approval, even though the aircraft are based in Pakistan.

Among the Pakistani public, there has been outcry at the attacks. Surveys constantly show that Pakistanis consider the US a greater threat than the Taliban, despite 3,021 Pakistani deaths in terrorist attacks last year.

If the drones are controversial, the presence of US soldiers on Pakistani soil is far more so. Despite a $1.5 billion (£959m) aid programme, Robert Gates, the US defence secretary, had to fly into Pakistan two weeks ago to reassure its military leadership. “Let me say definitively the US does not covet a single inch of Pakistani soil,” he told Pakistan’s National Defence University.

Additional reporting: Daud Khattak

School bombing exposes Obama’s secret war inside Pakistan - Times Online

This is an interesting article,post your opinions on this.:pakistan:

I also think it was silly to go to a school opening. I'm unsure what the reasoning behind this move that probably got them killed.

However, there is nothing mysterious about opening a school.

It was officially reported that the device was a remote-controlled bomb. It has now emerged that a suicide bomber rammed into the vehicle carrying the Americans. This suggests the bomber had inside information. “This attack was too perfect: they lay in wait for the convoy to pass and knew exactly which vehicle to hit,” a US military officer said

Could there be insiders inside the US military?

This is what happens when a country can not look after it's own security.

Sorry to disappoint you .. but this is not the 1400 years ago .. when soldiers used to run and smash against the front line. Many are hell bent on taking this country back to that age .. Might as well just wear a paper bag over our heads so we dont see our grandchildren playing with stones many years from now.

"But with the way things are, they should have not gone their in the first place."

I doubt you've enough facts and experience to make that determination. Nonetheless, the larger question remains into which most of you on this thread have fallen per the taliban's wish-

With a long route and certain knowledge of the location of the vehicle within a convoy, why was the attack planned near an active school that WASN'T the intended destination but full of young girl students?

Let me help you-killing Americans wasn't as important as killing Americans AND school girls just to generate the hysteria you've provided.

We're not the problem here. The taliban who carefully selected the location of the strike and their all-too-clear objectives are but you keep giving them a pass while searching for nefarious plans by America. This despite your own government authorizing these men's presence and the specific mission upon which they were embarked that day.

That's really quite a shame but a skewed perspective reasoned observers of Pakistan have become too accustomed to viewing.

Thanks.:usflag:

What a total crock of BS!!! Can't support schools for girls without being labeled as colonialists???

There should be no Americans in Pakistan. No matter if you have good or bad intentions. The Americans are a security threat for every Pakistani. You're bad omen for every Pakistani. This attack is just the latest indication that the trust deficit between Pakistanis and Americans is only growing. Just get out of Pakistan and fight your petty war in Afghanistan. Your presence in Pakistan is unwanted and unholy. Stop destabilizing Pakistan. Neither do the Pakistanis want to be shackled by US bribe aid. Stop interfering in Pakistani matters. These suicide attacks are only happening since Pakistan joined hands with the Americans in their illegal WoT. Suicide attacks never before happened in Pakistan. The only way out for Pakistanis is to abandon this illegitimate WoT. Otherwise, be prepared for more suicide attacks. That's the blunt truth.

Last edited:
I also think it was silly to go to a school opening. I'm unsure what the reasoning behind this move that probably got them killed.

However, there is nothing mysterious about opening a school.

That's exactly the main question. What on earth were US soldiers doing at a ceremony of girls school? What was the purpose of their visit to the school even knowingly that they're a target? These Americans are really becoming a destabilizing factor for Pakistan. It has become apparent that Blackwater is freely spreading terror inside Pakistan despite the initial denials on both sides.

Blackwater present in NWFP, admits Bilour

Sunday, February 07, 2010

31aa185cc0015b8f22258ed71bc77aa5.gif

By our correspondent

TIMERGARA: NWFP Senior Minister Bashir Ahmad Bilour on Saturday said the guards of Blackwater were present in the province to provide security to US officials.

“Yes, Blackwater is responsible for providing security to the international non-governmental organisations and the US embassy staff in the province,” the minister told reporters after his visit to the hospital, where he met those injured in the recent suicide bombing in Dir Lower district that killed, among others, three US soldiers.

The ANP leader said his party had launched an all-out war against the militants and there would be no deal with the enemies of peace.

Bashir Bilour, however, also condemned the US drone strikes in the tribal areas and termed the attacks a blatant violation of the country’s sovereignty. He added that unity was essential for the defeat of the militancy in the region.

He said the security situation in the Malakand region had improved and it would be further strengthened in the next six months. He said talks would be held with only those militants, who renounce militancy, as there would be no leniency towards those fighting against the state.

During his visit to the District Headquarters Hospital, he directed the doctors to provide best possible treatment to the victims of the blast.

The senior minister distributed compensation cheques among the families of the blast victims, including the four schoolgirls, who were killed.

Source: http://www.thenews.com.pk/top_story_detail.asp?Id=27114

Last edited:
There should be no Americans in Pakistan. No matter if you have good or bad intentions. The Americans are a security threat for every Pakistani.

I dont agree with this convention , Those soldiers were here to train our Police , Thus they were helping our Police to tackle such coward scenarios by those irhabists , Thus it was a step to prevent the loss of overall ordinary Pakistanis who become the victim of their retard ideology . I dont see any crap in accepting help from the Americans in the training domain , After all they are still the best and well informed force in COIN ops.

I dont agree with this convention , Those soldiers were here to train our Police , Thus they were helping our Police to tackle such coward scenarios by those irhabists , Thus it was a step to prevent the loss of overall ordinary Pakistanis who become the victim of their retard ideology . I dont see any crap in accepting help from the Americans in the training domain , After all they are still the best and well informed force in COIN ops.

I don't care whether they were here to train police. I don't care whether Americans are best in anything. All I know is that American presence isn't in the best interest of Pakistan. Their presence is only causing more instability and suicide attacks. Unless the Americans don't leave Pakistan, we will see such terror taking its toll. Unless Blackwater crusaders don't leave Pakistan, we can expect more covert suicide attacks. Pakistan has paid enough after 9/11. The Americans had one 9/11. Pakistan is having 9/11 every single day. Unless you fail to grasp the underlying root causes of instability in Pakistan, terror will remain. PA is able to deal with CIA created terrorists long after the Americans have left. Pakistan cannot deal with rouge American activities right under their noses.

Last edited:
Their presence is only causing more instability and suicide attacks. Unless the Americans don't leave Pakistan, we will see such terror taking its toll.

The attack on GHQ wasnt on the Americans . The attack on the Pradeline Mosque wasnt on the American . I find this argument lame as " only due to American presence in Pakistan , the sucide bombings and terrorist attacks inside Pakistan are happening ..!

The attack on GHQ wasnt on the Americans . The attack on the Pradeline Mosque wasnt on the American . I find this argument lame as " only due to American presence in Pakistan , the sucide bombings and terrorist attacks inside Pakistan are happening ..!

Who carried out those attacks on the GHQ? Who carries out those despicable suicide attacks on a daily basis all across Peshawar? NWFP never used to have suicide bombings prior to 9/11. Besides, you cannot deny that in this particular attack the Americans were the target. Due to their provocative and blatant presence these attacks took place. Also, please acknowledge that these terrorists too were and still are on US pay check. The Americans created the monster of Taliban in the first place. Stop denying the root cause.

If you don't agree with this notion provide NWFP with complete independence. It's very easy for you people residing in other places to be judgemental and dictate to us what we should or shouldn't do. We can decide for ourselves how peace can be achieved in our land. We're the people that are daily facing the heinous suicide attacks due to US warmongering and interference. Islamabad has failed to establish law and order. Islamabad has failed to acknowledge the underlying root causes of instability in NWFP. The people of NWFP shouldn't suffer any more at the hands of some evil corrupt crooks sitting in Islamabad. Islamabad is a slave of US aid bribe dollars. Islamabad is complicit! The threshold has reached its limit.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom