What's new

Saudi gives huge aid to Lebanon, Palestine says Israel attacks threaten regional war

Owais

Reaction score
Saudi gives huge aid to Lebanon, Palestine says Israel attacks threaten regional war
RIYADH (updated on: July 25, 2006, 18:49 PST): Saudi King Abdullah decided on Tuesday to grant Lebanon's central bank one billion dollars to shore up its currency and 500 million dollars in aid to help rebuild the country as Israel's devastating onslaught continued, state media said.

King Abdullah also warned of war in the Middle East if Israel continues attacking Lebanon and the Palestinians, in an apparent appeal to the United States, a key ally, to help end the fighting.

Separately, King Abdullah announced 250 million dollars to the Palestinians in aid to help rebuild the Palestinian territories, state media said.

King Abdullah bin Abdul Aziz has given instructions to give "250 million dollars in aid to rebuild the Palestinian territories and also to be a nucleus for an Arab fund to help the Palestinians," said a royal statement read on Saudi television.

The same decree also said that King Abdullah "has given instructions to give a grant of 500 million dollars to Lebanon to be a nucleus for an Arab fund to reconstruct Lebanon".

The kingdom is the world's top oil exporter.

"Saudi Arabia warns everybody that if the peace option fails because of Israeli arrogance, there will be no other option but war," state-owned media quoted the king as saying.

"No one can predict what will happen if things get out of control," he said in a statement.

"The Arabs have declared peace as a strategic choice... and put forward a clear and fair proposal of land for peace and have ignored (Arab) extremist calls opposing the peace proposal... but patience cannot last forever."

The king was referring to an Arab peace initiative, proposed by Saudi Arabia and adopted in a 2002 Arab summit, which offers Israel a comprehensive peace in return for Arab land it seized in a 1967 Middle East war.

The United States has backed Israel's military campaign against Hizbullah in south Lebanon.

Riyadh sees Washington as the only country that has sufficient influence over Israel to force it to halt.

"I think they are scared of being against public opinion which could turn against them. As this goes on longer and more and more Lebanese are killed, it looks bad for them," said a Western diplomat in Riyadh.

Al-Ikhbariya said Saudi Arabia had pledged $500 million to rebuild Lebanon and $250 million for the Palestinians, who are also under Israeli military siege following the capture of an Israeli soldier during an operation.

Saudi Arabia has been a major political and economic sponsor of Lebanon since the 1975-1990 civil war was ended by a 1989 agreement made in the Saudi city of Taif.

Late prime minister Rafik Hariri, who led reconstruction efforts, was a Saudi national. Prince Alwaleed bin Talal is one of Lebanon's major foreign investors, and Saudi Arabia has played a key role in propping up the Lebanese pound.

wooww...that's very nice of Saudis to help out - I'm sorry for my ignorance but which is the richest country in middle east, is it Kuwait? and also, where's Muskat? I have a friend whose dad works in Muskat.

JSK said:
wooww...that's very nice of Saudis to help out - I'm sorry for my ignorance but which is the richest country in middle east, is it Kuwait? and also, where's Muskat? I have a friend whose dad works in Muskat.

Thats a difficult question but in terms of GDP per capita UAE, Bahrain, Kuwait and Qatar are on the top of the list followed by Saudi Arab and Oman.

But UAE has the most diverse economy, less dependant on oil than any other country in the region.

Neo said:
Thats a difficult question but in terms of GDP per capita UAE, Bahrain, Kuwait and Qatar are on the top of the list followed by Saudi Arab and Oman.

But UAE has the most diverse economy, less dependant on oil than any other country in the region.

Kuwait has terrific inequalities in wealth, much more than Saudi, UAE and so forth. In fact it has one of the most unequal distribution of wealth in the world.

In reality though, UAE's economy is not much bigger than Syria (similarily for Bahrain, Qatar not sure abt kuwait) so they dont matter too much in the bigger scheme of things.

Saudi's economy, Egypt's and Israel's are the only ones that are significant in the region. (Saudi n egypt both around 300 and israel around 110 i think) which is similar to Pak. around 300.

JSK said:
and also, where's Muskat? I have a friend whose dad works in Muskat.

Isnt Muscat the capital of Oman? Oman has really improved recently (with quite little oil and gas reserves)

sigatoka said:
Saudi's economy, Egypt's and Israel's are the only ones that are significant in the region. (Saudi n egypt both around 300 and israel around 110 i think) which is similar to Pak. around 300.

If these figures are in PPP than I don't agree with you, Egyptian economy is much smaller than Saudi Arabia and Pakistan but bigger than Israel:

Saudi Arabia:

graph.php
graph.php

Israel:

graph.php
graph.php

Egypt:

graph.php
graph.php

Pakistan:

graph.php
graph.php

Pakistani economy has grown faster than Egyptian, we've climbed a few places on the world ranking.

Source: http://worldfactbook.com

sigatoka said:
Isnt Muscat the capital of Oman? Oman has really improved recently (with quite little oil and gas reserves)

Yes, Muscat is the capital of Oman located at the arabian See.
Oman is undergoing rapid and revolutionary reforms, the country is considered to be most moderate in the region.

saudi arabia buying a huge amount of weapons and upgrading its forces...feeling the heat from israel....

other muslim countries should also follow saudi arabia and upgrade there forces.....is there anything??how much power syria have???can they fight to israel??

Saudi Arabia unveils huge Mideast aid package BEIRUT: The oil-rich kingdom of Saudi Arabia pledged one billion dollars to support Lebanon's battered currency, 500 million dollars to fund reconstruction of its shattered infrastructure and 50 million dollars in immediate relief for its citizens, Lebanese Prime Minister Fuad Siniora said in a press conference.

He said Saudi deposit of billion dollars with the central bank was to "strengthen reserves in
a bid to back the government's efforts to consolidate the stability of the national currency."

Saudi individuals and institutions, both public and private, had also made significant donations, he said.

good work saudis....

other muslim countries should also help their muslim brothers

There's no use of giving funds for reconstruction yet as Israel deliberately is attacking civil infrastructure, its a waste of money.
During first raid only 21 bridges were destroyed, proving the fact that Irasel doesn't want Lebanon to pose economic threat in future.

Immidiate humanitary aid and self defence weaponary should be provided instead.

i think all the arabs should upgrade their forces

reports are there that syria and iran are suporrting hizb...
giving them arms

ali ahmad said:
i think all the arabs should upgrade their forces

reports are there that syria and iran are suporrting hizb...
giving them arms

Arab countires such as Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Bahrain, Qatar and UAE all have well equipped military forces and most of them are undergoing major expansion currently.
When it comes to Syria and Iran, its a different story, their resources are limited to Russia and China. Both are isolated within the muslim community aswell, you've already mentioned their support for Hesbollah.

Back
Top Bottom