What's new

Saudi Arabia to invest more than $20 billion in its military industry over next decade

KSA did just that in many fields.. mostly concentrating on its resources like OIL.. Check The Saudi Aramco..
And now there are more Aramco-like companies emerging in other fields.. including defence..

There seems to be more to this news then on first pass. The fact that the Saudis never focused on indigenous production, to such a degree, of these technologies means they were leveraging their money for influence, especially when oil prices were high, and the money was just coming in. With influence waning, they must have figured its best to keep the money at home, especially with oil prices low and after all the big ticket items procured under Trump.

Speaking of that, did the big ticket items under trump go into contract, or are they affected under Biden?

There seems to be more to this news then on first pass. The fact that the Saudis never focused on indigenous production, to such a degree, of these technologies means they were leveraging their money for influence, especially when oil prices were high, and the money was just coming in. With influence waning, they must have figured its best to keep the money at home, especially with oil prices low and after all the big ticket items procured under Trump.

Speaking of that, did the big ticket items under trump go into contract, or are they affected under Biden?
The influence comes from first.. the weight of Saudi Arabia in the 2 billion people Muslim world.. second from the fact that it is the biggest Oil producer in the world.. Third from its own investments all around the planet and much more..

$45 billion was signed..the rest will surely follow..as Biden can not fight against the US arms industry and its subcontractors.. hence to lose tens of thousands of jobs all over the US..Simple as that..
The same applies to the UAE's $23 billion for the F-35, the sophisticated drones and ammunition..

The influence comes from first.. the weight of Saudi Arabia in the 2 billion people Muslim world.. second from the fact that it is the biggest Oil producer in the world.. Third from its own investments all around the planet and much more..

$45 billion was signed..the rest will surely follow..as Biden can not fight against the US arms industry and its subcontractors.. hence to lose tens of thousands of jobs all over the US..Simple as that..
The same applies to the UAE's $23 billion for the F-35, the sophisticated drones and ammunition..

Those arms deals and the lobbying effort that supports it will not only tie the Biden administration into allowing it to go through, but tie Saudi into only developing a modest arms industry.

The big defense contractors have a fat Saudi fish on the hook, and their not gonna let anyone, not the US President nor the Saudi interest to diversify to let it go easily.

But the Saudis have to start somewhere

Those arms deals and the lobbying effort that supports it will not only tie the Biden administration into allowing it to go through, but tie Saudi into only developing a modest arms industry.

The big defense contractors have a fat Saudi fish on the hook, and their not gonna let anyone, not the US President nor the Saudi interest to diversify to let it go easily.

But the Saudis have to start somewhere
The fact is that KSA is going both ways; buying what it needs for the hour and building its arms industry for the future..

build it up really nice, advanced and beautiful. Go watch the movie, Home. Babylonians might just come and take everything in a "friendly" invasion. One day all the Arabs wake up in India believing they are the Dalits or in Botswana believing they are bushmen. :agree:

The fact is that KSA is going both ways; buying what it needs for the hour and building its arms industry for the future..

I think US defense contractors will try to put pressure on the Saudis like they tried to do with Pakistan and the JF-17 program, to not build sophisticated platforms. So they can keep cashing in on the Saudis, buy selling them platforms at 2-3 times the normal prices. The Gulf Arabs are seems as cash cows, so I doubt the contractors will let them slip into someone else’s hands without some efforts on their part. It’s business.

The Saudis will have to stand form if they wants their defense industry to grow, and it may also cost them influence on the hill and at the White House. Considering they have been losing support in both places, it seems now is the time they are making their play. Which is why they are even buying, with ToT, Turkish weapons.

I think US defense contractors will try to put pressure on the Saudis like they tried to do with Pakistan and the JF-17 program, to not build sophisticated platforms. So they can keep cashing in on the Saudis, buy selling them platforms at 2-3 times the normal prices. The Gulf Arabs are seems as cash cows, so I doubt the contractors will let them slip into someone else’s hands without some efforts on their part. It’s business.

The Saudis will have to stand form if they wants their defense industry to grow, and it may also cost them influence on the hill and at the White House. Considering they have been losing support in both places, it seems now is the time they are making their play. Which is why they are even buying, with ToT, Turkish weapons.

No Turkish weapons..maybe in the future..The GCC is too heavy in influence even in the US.. so no worries.. if getting the best US and Western weapons and TOT is considered milking.. then let it be..

No Turkish weapons..maybe in the future..The GCC is too heavy in influence even in the US.. so no worries.. if getting the best US and Western weapons and TOT is considered milking.. then let it be..

Turkish Drones and Russian Small Arms factories; they look to be diversifying away from Western systems, so they don’t have to fear sanctions as much. They definitely are in the western arms camp, but Biden is making them freak out, and they seem to want to make contracts with everyone. Wouldn’t be surprising if they step up buying Chinese Missiles as well, as it seems they have been doing for the past few years, quietly.

Turkish Drones and Russian Small Arms factories; they look to be diversifying away from Western systems, so they don’t have to fear sanctions as much. They definitely are in the western arms camp, but Biden is making them freak out, and they seem to want to make contracts with everyone. Wouldn’t be surprising if they step up buying Chinese Missiles as well, as it seems they have been doing for the past few years, quietly.

You didn't follow the news well.. As KSA started to diversify its sources for the last 20 years.. The Chinese DF missiles were just one of the deals ..more than 40 years ago.. now there is Ukraine, South Korea, South Africa. China, Russia and many more .. there was a start with Turkey but was stopped .. it might get back on track .. but nothing sure..
The only one freaking out here seems to be you..HaHaHa!

You didn't follow the news well.. As KSA started to diversify its sources for the last 20 years.. The Chinese DF missiles were just one of the deals ..more than 40 years ago.. now there is Ukraine, South Korea, South Africa. China, Russia and many more .. there was a start with Turkey but was stopped .. it might get back on track .. but nothing sure..
The only one freaking out here seems to be you..HaHaHa!

1. what’s with the Hahaha? Sounds childish to be frank. Just say you think I’m wrong and leave it at that.
2. Yes, I don’t follow Saudi defense procurement too closely. It’s not my country, I only know generally about what’s happening there, so I might get some details wrong, I admit that.
3. It’s not the old DF-3 procurements I’m talking about but the new solid propellant factories set up in Saudi by the Chinese over the last few years.
4. Considering how much the Saudis have extended themselves into the US camp, with large arms procurements (tens of billions of dollars in deals), and to be forced to back track on their Qatari blockade and face consequences for what happened to Khashoggi, from the Biden administration may not be “freaking” them out, but it is serious cause for concern.

BTW, are you Saudi or live in Saudi. I don’t have any particular concern in this matter, just an observer, trying to have a civil conversation on a forum.If you rather we end it here, that’s fine by me, and say we difference of opinions.

have a good night

1. what’s with the Hahaha? Sounds childish to be frank. Just say you think I’m wrong and leave it at that.
2. Yes, I don’t follow Saudi defense procurement too closely. It’s not my country, I only know generally about what’s happening there, so I might get some details wrong, I admit that.
3. It’s not the old DF-3 procurements I’m talking about but the new solid propellant factories set up in Saudi by the Chinese over the last few years.
4. Considering how much the Saudis have extended themselves into the US camp, with large arms procurements (tens of billions of dollars in deals), and to be forced to back track on their Qatari blockade and face consequences for what happened to Khashoggi, from the Biden administration may not be “freaking” them out, but it is serious cause for concern.

BTW, are you Saudi or live in Saudi. I don’t have any particular concern in this matter, just an observer, trying to have a civil conversation on a forum.If you rather we end it here, that’s fine by me, and say we difference of opinions.

have a good night
3. it is a follow up on the DF-3

Obviously you are not following the news..The Qatari problem was to put Qatar at its place.. and it was done..

To face consequences for what happened to Khashoggi.. was already done.. Biden can't come up with anything new..It is a closed case as far as KSA is concerned..

Then the $10 of billions of arms deals are paralleled by much more civilian investment in the US up to the US own infrastructure.. KSA .. so you know, is deeply entrenched in the US..

So let's call it a day..

Good night ..

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom