What's new

Saab offers to make Gripen in India, with transfer of technology

Wow, the Sea Gripen has even less chance than the Gripen itself (that I would quantify as <5%) of entering into Indian service.

Feeling the Heat buddy. MK-2 with 5.5 ton weapon store, Active Aesa MMR, Swing Role MultiRole Fighter Plane, Vergilus Internal Jammer, RWR, LWR, MAWs, Frameless HUD Glass Cockpit in 40 Million Unit stands in the front of 85 Million Grippen. Now add some more Million for the Centric Fussion of all the Sensors, we have LCA MK2 with Short take off proved in the tropical condition, and High altitude airlift from LEH (So this is the reason, each and every vehicle send their cars in Leh Manali to prove something in Indian condition).

They can hire some test bed, but question is do they have funds to pay them, with few orders from Brazil.

<5% is wrong figure. 0% is the right one :lol:

All prospect for SAAB in IAF have ended except sensors they can offers, but something is fishy, they still believe they could get some share. Similarly Euro fighter consortium believe that Dassault could not supply Rafale to India in prescribed time frame.

Dont stop at that Pakistan is also inducting JF Thunder Block 2 and soon upcoming Block 3. Who knows what we will have in our inventory by the time Rafales are inducted or even if they are inducted in our air force. SU 30 MKI remind me how many of them are grounded due to Technical issues? I think if you want to gloat then your 10 Mirage 2000 are far superior to any thing in your inventory at present date.

LOLZ every one is concern with the MKI grounded due to technical issues, and that too 5 year old story, and all glitches related to engine, and display have been sorted out. Many Pakistani concern with the availability of the MKI which is 50% according to some report in the media but no hush hush for the availability of the Typhoon in RAF with 35% availability in media. He He those are more related to decrease the cost of the imported spares.
What about F-16 availability in PAF which is 54%. ??

All prospect for SAAB in IAF have ended except sensors they can offers, but something is fishy, they still believe they could get some share. Similarly Euro fighter consortium believe that Dassault could not supply Rafale to India in prescribed time frame.

It all comes from our requirement and India is currently the only country which can keep production lines alive for any country and any maker. So Gripen is not an exception. Regarding someone saying Gripen could be used in Naval roles is not true, as no one in the world operates single engine fighters from its aircraft carriers. Reason being if one engine fails then the plan will embrace the sea forever.

It all comes from our requirement and India is currently the only country which can keep production lines alive for any country and any maker. So Gripen is not an exception. Regarding someone saying Gripen could be used in Naval roles is not true, as no one in the world operates single engine fighters from its aircraft carriers. Reason being if one engine fails then the plan will embrace the sea forever.

Well very correct. In the international fighter aircraft market, there are two big market -- One is India, and another is Brazil, rest big airforce like USAF, Ruaf, Europe, Plaaf have their own indigenous fighter planes. Rest are small markets with limited funds available. Grippen most probably the last fighter plane of SAAB due to lack of funds and after EF-2000 don't think Europe consolium will go for another project -- Britan, and France will probably go with 6th gen Stealth UAV program either alone or together.

Now new era have emergies the era of F-35. Great thinking and Strategy to bound all the allies and dependency under US Control, using US network, equipment, Server, Satellite in short NATO. In future, those countries who are incapable of 5th warfare would be left vulnerable, because the next gen smart weapons would shift the whole warfare to the next level, where the war would be short, high centric and high intensity and the goal would be to achieve the intended goal, not to hold the land. Even the weapons fired would be the sensors type which update not only the platform, but the whole battlefield management, and the commander could easily monitor the whole battle in real time. What would be left is either to developed your own solution, which would be impossible for the most of the countries, or to adapt the developed solution, for which naturally you pay the price for that. Dependancy on equipment, weapons could be countered with the home grown solutions or another party solution, but dependency in the system, would logically takes you to a block, which India have always avoided from the age of Cold War times. So this oppurtunity of us provided by this small, tiny, fighter plane have given us small footing which is called as Last Chance Aircraft by some of our friends should be fully utilized, because in next decades we are not the important economy, but also because due to youngest country in the world with the youngs ones of the age of 15-40 years of more than 65% making 25% of the whole Labour available in the world, the jobs which would transform the country, because its them who deserve better oppurtunity, life, education, country and its them who would be responsible to take the country forward.

Believe me or not in one or two decades India Aerospace would be global Giant with Not only HAL, but various pvt players mfg military, civilian fixed wing and rotary planes, and providing logistic and support making it an aerospace hub.

Look at the Aerospace giants (left LM intentially) Boeing, Airbus, SAAB they are mere integrator and in this global world, Boeing and Airbus with 40,000 subcontractor spread in the whole world. To become the global leaders, first we have to believe in ourself, give small support to home grown solution till it becomes strong enough to compete in the international arena. AMCA should be the natural project, but not before MK-2 but parallel development should be started with the subsystems developed for both MK-2 so that they could be available for the AMCA e.g Active Aesa MMR, Long Range BVR, Sensors, Communication Devices, and the approach should be intelligently coordinated between hundereds of PSU's and different agencies.

Last edited:
Feeling the Heat buddy. MK-2 with 5.5 ton weapon store, Active Aesa MMR, Swing Role MultiRole Fighter Plane, Vergilus Internal Jammer, RWR, LWR, MAWs, Frameless HUD Glass Cockpit in 40 Million Unit stands in the front of 85 Million Grippen. Now add some more Million for the Centric Fussion of all the Sensors, we have LCA MK2 with Short take off proved in the tropical condition, and High altitude airlift from LEH (So this is the reason, each and every vehicle send their cars in Leh Manali to prove something in Indian condition).

They can hire some test bed, but question is do they have funds to pay them, with few orders from Brazil.

LOLZ every one is concern with the MKI grounded due to technical issues, and that too 5 year old story, and all glitches related to engine, and display have been sorted out. Many Pakistani concern with the availability of the MKI which is 50% according to some report in the media but no hush hush for the availability of the Typhoon in RAF with 35% availability in media. He He those are more related to decrease the cost of the imported spares.
What about F-16 availability in PAF which is 54%. ??
F16 availability 54% are u high? Where did u find those stats?

and another is Brazil
Brazil cant be compared to India in terms of defense purchases, at least now.

So this oppurtunity of us provided by this small, tiny, fighter plane have given us small footing which is called as Last Chance Aircraft by some of our friends should be fully utilized

My friend, all this what you hear from Boeing, Gripen, Typhoon etc, are not going to add more 10% of your proposed honest intentions. Its a fact. Better focus on LCA and make it the best 4+ gen plane ever and then you will see, what a quantum leap we had taken and will take to the future!

Brazil cant be compared to India in terms of defense purchases, at least now.

My friend, all this what you hear from Boeing, Gripen, Typhoon etc, are not going to add more 10% of your proposed honest intentions. Its a fact. Better focus on LCA and make it the best 4+ gen plane ever and then you will see, what a quantum leap we had taken and will take to the future!

My friend, I modify my earlier post, pls read it again. There is nothing quantum leap, thus only believe in step by step approach. Step by Step here is the solid background learning procedure, which we have done. Those firms are more of mere Integrator, with huge budget, but with huge experience also. What I am saying is that Naval LCA is not only the IN bird for carrier operation but the learning curve in developing the Carrier variant, which will be helpful in N-AMCA, and when LCA program was launched, the team of HAL in Marut, were either retired, or left HAL, waste of knowledge.

My friend, I modify my earlier post, pls read it again. There is nothing quantum leap, thus only believe in step by step approach. Step by Step here is the solid background learning procedure, which we have done. Those firms are more of mere Integrator, with huge budget, but with huge experience also. What I am saying is that Naval LCA is not only the IN bird for carrier operation but the learning curve in developing the Carrier variant, which will be helpful in N-AMCA, and when LCA program was launched, the team of HAL in Marut, were either retired, or left HAL, waste of knowledge.

Ah, I see, then we are on the same page.

There is nothing quantum leap
The quantum leap will be after the successful completion of LCA project.

If F-18SHs are coming, Rafale won't have much role to do for SFC. With Growlers, the chances of penetrating enemy defense is much higher for Hornets, than Rafales.

I dont think Growlers will be in the package even if SH makes it to India. And Rafale with spectra is similar if not superior to Growler.

Growler won't be in package..
Boeing being a major entity and backed by USA will dictate terms a lot and GOI/MOD won't have much leeway..

In terms of credible tech transfer,it would be interesting what it really brings to our table..

A good question to ask is what happens if tomo we have a conventional conflict with say hypothetically with a US ally.. An example Pakistan.. In such a case what would be the scenario?

Also according to data which I posted from Saab internal proprietary matter, 18s have more operational cost and a little lower capability versus Rafale and then just under EF.

So if we get say 20% price lower than Rafale won't we lose the same via operational LCC cost?

What about the 3 agreements (LSA, CISMOA and BECA)..

And critically won't we have to buy US weapons or pay customization charges for what we already have in our inventory or customize payment for brahmos NG, Nirbhay or even Astra ? If not then we have to buy their equivalents is nt it?

Moreover what about our geopolitical alignment? Will we be in USA camp or still say we are neutral? Anybody thought about Russian relationship?

And yes we won't wire N option for US planes.. so a fleet which we cant use for any N roles secondary or primary in case say others are taken out..

Last edited:

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom