BoQ77

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Viet Nam
S. Korea To Build Jet With F-35, Tech Transfer Deal

By GILLIAN RICH, INVESTOR'S BUSINESS DAILY

Posted 09/24/2014 01:08 PM ET
  • South Korea announced official terms for its Lockheed Martin (NYSE:LMT) F-35 stealth fighter deal, which includes technology to build its own fighter as tensions rise with North Korea.

Seoul will pay $7 billion for 40 F-35A jets, which it had agreed to buy in March, marking the country's largest military order and making it the third nation to order the conventional-takeoff variant, along with Israel and Japan.

The deal also includes terms for technology transfers to help South Korea build its own fighter, similar to Lockheed's F-16 Fighting Falcon. Delivery of the F-35s is expected to start in 2018.

2d25b997ff23ed50c5cac00376ab50ca._.png
    View Enlarged Image

Lockheed shares were up 0.9% on the stock market today.

Seoul's original plans to replace the aging F-4 and F-5 fighters in its fleet called for a 60-plane deal, and only Boeing's (NYSE:BA) F-15 bid fell under budget guidelines. But under pressure from the military, the government rejected the bid to look at stealth planes.

Lockheed's radar-evading F-35 is the most expensive weapons system ever built, running at $400 billion, and well over budget. Mechanical issues, along with costs, have dampened sales forecasts for the jet.

In late June, a United Technologies' (NYSE:UTX) Pratt & Whitney engine caught fire during a takeoff at a Florida air base and the fleet was grounded July 3. Lockheed has resumed flights and said a fix is near.

The company is reportedly close to a 43-plane, $4 billion deal with the U.S. Defense Department that should bring the cost of the eighth batch of planes down 2%-4%.

Also, Pratt & Whitney said that the next two rounds of engines for the jet, the seventh and eighth batches, are expected to be 7%-8% cheaper than the prior one, on top of a 50% savings from earlier batches.

Read More At Investor's Business Daily: S. Korea To Build Jet With F-35, Tech Transfer Deal - Investors.com

Good decision, Korea. Good to see our Korean little brothers come to the fold, again. ;)

they surely would be unhappy to be called as Japan little brother

Hmm, yes, you're right Ms. @madokafc . That was presumptive of me and insensitive , i should have known better.

Permit me to correct myself. Korea and Japan are equal brothers. ^^,

Hmm, yes, you're right Ms. @madokafc . That was presumptive of me and insensitive , i should have known better.

Permit me to correct myself. Korea and Japan are equal brothers. ^^,

Not according to quite a few rankings of military that have Korea first. Keep in mind I didn't make the rankings, at least not all of them.8-)

Also Korea is higher in PPP per capita, which surprised me.

Now about this fighter, China must sue them for taking our IP, jacking of J-20 design is not the way to go, we take your designs, you don't take ours.:sniper:

Also about this image, half of this picture has no real prototype or test flight and the J-31 which has both is not on it.....

1596ad76d659d054613f8a58a61ecf8f.jpg

:bunny:

Not according to quite a few rankings of military that have Korea first. Keep in mind I didn't make the rankings, at least not all of them.8-)

Also Korea is higher in PPP per capita

South Korea's PPP is 1.7 Trillion.

Japan's PPP is 4.8 Trillion.

I'm sure they have the means to defend themselves if and when NK were to initiate hostilities.

Now about this fighter, China must sue them for taking our IP, jacking of J-20 design is not the way to go, we take your designs, you don't take ours.:sniper:

Cool picture.

Last edited:
Sorry meant Taiwan, always get those two confused for unknown reasons.

GDP per capita in Taiwan is $ 22,000 .Japan's GDP per capital is $38,000.

Their Nation's GDP is $900 Billion.

To give you perspective, Both South Korea and Taiwan combined, is barely 1/2 of Japan's economy.

2 South Koreas + 2 Taiwans = 1 Japan.

GDP per capita in Taiwan is $ 22,000 .Japan's GDP per capital is $38,000.

Their Nation's GDP is $900 Billion.

To give you perspective, Both South Korea and Taiwan combined, is barely 1/2 of Japan's economy.

2 South Koreas + 2 Taiwans = 1 Japan.

you really don't know what I'm talking about. I very much doubt that. Or maybe you are distracted, it happens to me sometimes.

Also Korea is higher in PPP per capita, which surprised me.
Why surprise, pal ?

Btw, even with the more narrow resource, a nation could focus on making themselves long-range ballistic missiles and satellite launching capacibility.
I means NK case.

SK even adopted Protestant from USA

Back
Top Bottom