What's new

Russia's T-14 Armata MBT 'has new-gen ERA'

kaonalpha

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
1634527_-main.jpg

Russia's new T-14 Armata MBT features a new generation of ERA, according to Russian defence industry sources. Source: PA Photos
Key Points
  • The Russian T-14 Armata MBT has a new-generation ERA system, according to a Tractor Plants source
  • The new armour's resistance to APFSDS rounds is significantly increased compared with previous ERA systems, according to the source
The new Russian T-14 Armata main battle tank (MBT) is equipped with a new generation of explosive reactive armour (ERA), according to a source at the Tractor Plants company.

p1633366.jpg
The integrated ERA tiles are visible in this infographic of the T-14. (IHS/Andrey Kryuchenko/Russian MoD)

The ERA, developed by the NII Stali research institute "can be described as an innovative one" the source said. "Its specifications exceed those of Kontakt-1, Kontakt-5, and Relict 9 [ERA systems]". He did not provide IHS Jane's with further details, saying only that the ERA has "no known world equivalents".

The source said the new armour's resistance to armour-piercing fin-stabilised discarding-sabot (APFSDS) rounds was significantly increased in comparison with the older ERA systems. "The high protective characteristics of the new armour aren't provided by the simple increase of explosive mass in its containers," said the source. He pointed out that the detonation of an ERA box would not damage the electronics and other equipment installed under the armour.

"The new ERA can resist anti-tank gun shells adopted by NATO countries, including the state-of-the-art APFSDS DM53 and DM63 developed by Rheinmetall [and] anti-tank ground missiles with high-explosive anti-tank warheads," the source said.

In addition to the ERA, the T-14 has bar-slat armour located over the rear part of the hull. This source said this was also developed by NII Stali and "provides protection from 50-60% of RPG [rocket-propelled grenade] rounds".

The base armour on the new tank consists of metal-ceramic plates. Novosibirsk-based company NEVZ-Ceramics has already launched serial production of this product, according to Andrey Nikitin, the head of the company's armoured ceramics bureau. "We finished the trials this year and the elements revealed their declared capability," he said.

Nikitin said the new metal/ceramic armour provides one-and-a-half times more resistance than fully metal systems and will be installed on the T-15, Kurganets-25, and Bumerang combat vehicles, as well as the T-14.

Despite being a very lethal machine, this is a bit over hyped now :)
I have studied the characteristics, have compared that to available platforms, the ARMATA do brings into the battlefield a couple of innovative ideas but is not alien technology and is being over hyped. Perhaps west looking for funding for future land combat vehicles that was being given second priority behind the air forces. :)

I have studied the characteristics, have compared that to available platforms, the ARMATA do brings into the battlefield a couple of innovative ideas but is not alien technology and is being over hyped. Perhaps west looking for funding for future land combat vehicles that was being given second priority behind the air forces. :)
Then Sir I would recommend that you shouldn't be surprised if you start hearing rumors ,when it starts entering south Asia:)

where is the ERA??? was it on T-14 during the parade?

where is the ERA??? was it on T-14 during the parade?

The tanks on parade were covered with a thin metal sheet all over to hide true configuration.You can see the rivets.
Also the gap on the left side of the turret will house a heavy machine gun or cannon ,so i'm hearing.

Then Sir I would recommend that you shouldn't be surprised if you start hearing rumors ,when it starts entering south Asia:)
Rumors about its super alien technology? :P is that what you are referring too?

The name of new ERA is not revealed, may be they will do so in coming days.

Totally agree that it is a little bit over hyped. I am able to read in russian language so can say that some russian experts (Pavel Felgengauer etc) are very critical about Armata. According to them, we can not speak about ready tank now it is more close to prototype.

One more important detail. You can find this info, just google. Company that produces ARMATA - "Uralvagonzavod" is suffering great financial problems that can influence "ARMATA-Project". No money - no ready T-14
Article
"Alfa-Bank" has filed suit in the Moscow Arbitration Court, demanding to recover from the Corporation "Uralvagonzavod" more than 6 billion rubles and 39.72 million dollars to the documents published on the website of arbitration.The lawsuit went to court on April 14, April 21 statement was made to the production, the meeting scheduled for May 27.Deputy General Director of "Uralvagonzavod" Alex Zharich told Tass that the claim is related to the delay of the loan. According to him, the company is now a difficult situation.Recall that in February, "Uralvagonzavod" appealed to the government for additional state guarantees in the amount of 15 billion rubles to support. The documents have already been submitted, after a few instances, but the decision is delayed.The negotiations on debt restructuring are underway with "Alfa Bank" since the middle of last year, but until the credit institution is not going to meet the debtor, according to RBC

Yes the aliens across the border will threaten us with It.:P

Having spend some 7 years now on this forum i have learned enough now to bother about that :lol:
THOSE arguments, i have never seen them yield anything good... :)

As per my study, it is a good machine but it is not something out of the world. Actually, the biggest advantage it offers, it offers to the Russians, that is platform uniformity. They plan to use the same platform for IFV, Howitzer, Tank and a few other armored roles. Now if you induct all these than that is the BIGGEST advantage Armata will give you, component similarity resulting in rapid integration as per role and better cost effective and time efficient maintenance.

What matters to me is that if we know and say this here on forum, those who are responsible will also know all this. No need to worry about bragging or indulging yourself into useless arguments. The Russians think it is good for them, that is enough,, the Indian want to buy it, good for them :)

Totally agree that it is a little bit over hyped. I am able to read in russian language so can say that some russian experts (Pavel Felgengauer etc) are very critical about Armata. According to them, we can not speak about ready tank now it is more close to prototype.

One more important detail. You can find this info, just google. Company that produces ARMATA - "Uralvagonzavod" is suffering great financial problems that can influence "ARMATA-Project". No money - no ready T-14
Article
"Alfa-Bank" has filed suit in the Moscow Arbitration Court, demanding to recover from the Corporation "Uralvagonzavod" more than 6 billion rubles and 39.72 million dollars to the documents published on the website of arbitration.The lawsuit went to court on April 14, April 21 statement was made to the production, the meeting scheduled for May 27.Deputy General Director of "Uralvagonzavod" Alex Zharich told Tass that the claim is related to the delay of the loan. According to him, the company is now a difficult situation.Recall that in February, "Uralvagonzavod" appealed to the government for additional state guarantees in the amount of 15 billion rubles to support. The documents have already been submitted, after a few instances, but the decision is delayed.The negotiations on debt restructuring are underway with "Alfa Bank" since the middle of last year, but until the credit institution is not going to meet the debtor, according to RBC

Finance may not be that much of a problem. They can find customers fast. The have created a nice hype about the machine and people are willing to think that this is some aline technology. They will get customers and that will resolve the finance issues. HOWEVER, inducting a not fully mature machine may result in problems.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom