What's new

Russia’s Surging Electronic Warfare Capabilities

Stephen Cohen

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
Russia’s Surging Electronic Warfare Capabilities
Russia’s new developments in electronic warfare are on display in Ukraine and Syria.

By Caitlin Patterson

Largely described as a power in long-term decline, the Russian military under President Vladimir Putin has embarked on a military modernization program that may be gaining the envy of some in Washington. Putin has invested billions, supported by revenues during the 2004-2014 period when oil prices were high. These efforts have led to impressive improvements within Russia’s conventional forces arsenal, especially its signals intelligence (SIGINT) and electronic warfare (EW) capabilities.

Rushed to battlefields in Syria and Ukraine, these advances have been put on display for the entire world, a testing ground for Putin’s modernization program. In Syria, Russia has deployed Electronic Intelligence (ELINT) and SIGINT aircraft, such as the Il-20, an offshoot of the United States’ P-3 Orion, and the Tu-214R SIGINT targeting and collection aircraft. While in Ukraine, Russia has dominated the information space through a concerted effort of Russian hackersutilizing a form of denial of service attacks (DDoS) and hacking Ukrainian military and counterintelligence units.

The Il-20, commonly referred to as the “Coot,” comes packed with an array of sensors, antennas, IR (Infrared) and Optical sensors, a SLAR (Side-Looking Airborne Radar), and satellite communication equipment for real-time data sharing. The aircraft is commonly used in the Baltic to spy on NATO member states and is currently rumored to be operating in Syria. The aircraft can be utilized to collect on enemy communications and detect signal emissions that can pinpoint large concentrations of enemy fighters.

The newest Russian spy-plane, the Tu-214R, has ELINT and SIGINT platforms on board. It appears to have fairly effective long-range capabilities and circles in the sky in international zones or near borders with unfriendly countries. There are currently two of these in operation, and one was tracked to Syria.

The Tu-214R, which is a variant of the Tupolev Tu-204, a twin-engined medium-range jet aircraft, can intercept signals from cell phones, planes, military vehicles, radios, etc. This helps pinpoint enemy locations as well as providing indications as to what kind of electronic capabilities the enemy is employing, and can provide an indication of the size of an opposing or rebel force.

Lt. Gen. Ben Hodges, commander of U.S. Army units in Europe, described Russian EW capabilities in Ukraine as “eye-watering.” Ronald Pontius, deputy to Army Cyber Command’s chief, Lt. Gen. Edward Cardon, told a conference this month that “you can’t but come to the conclusion that we’re not making progress at the pace the threat demands.”

While it is natural for countries and militaries to keep evolving their technologies, Russia is investing quite a lot of capital to rapidly modernize its military forces, equipping its army to fight in tomorrow’s battlefields. The United States has beencriticized for ignoring the rapid development of Russia’s SIGINT and EW capability, which was put on full display at the onset of the Russian invasion into Crimea and east Ukraine, as Ukrainian cell-phones and communications equipment fell silent to Russian jammers.

The U.S. has been too focused on counter-insurgency doctrine, bogged down in conflicts from Iraq to Afghanistan, and the result has been a neglect of America’s own SIGINT and EW capabilities for a conventional war with a power like Russia or China. As evident with Russia’s display of its new capabilities, the United States will have a lot of work on its hands to counter these developments if it wants to keep superiority in this emerging domain.

Caitlin Patterson is a veteran of the U.S. Marine Corps where she served as Cryptologic Linguist and Signals Intelligence Analyst. She is a graduate of the Defense Language institute specializing in Dari and Eurasia.

http://thediplomat.com/2016/04/russias-surging-electronic-warfare-capabilities/

@MilSpec @ptldM3 @vostok @Abingdonboy @PARIKRAMA

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PS : India can now hope and expect BETTER avionics for PAK FA

we rather spend tens of billions on stupid crap like LCS and PAC-3/THAAD than invest in EW.

if you dominate the electric spectrum you dominate the battlefield.

we rather spend tens of billions on stupid crap like LCS and PAC-3/THAAD than invest in EW.

if you dominate the electric spectrum you dominate the battlefield.

do not tell me that US military is behind Russia in electronic warfare

do not tell me that US military is behind Russia in electronic warfare
way behind.. in attack EW and defensive EW

only hope is AMDR and Next Generation Jammer, and the EW abilities of the F-35 APG-81.

way behind.. in attack EW and defensive EW

only hope is AMDR and Next Generation Jammer, and the EW abilities of the F-35 APG-81.

How exactly US is "WAY BEHIND" with Russia with respect to EW Capability?

US have a full spectrum EW Warplane that's function in all spectrum and all kind of EW duties. If we have to separate the EW Spectrum, it can basically put into 4 category, and if I remember correctly, only US Military have a full spectrum performance in all 4 field. they are

Direct Attack
Electronic Countermeasure
Electronic Support
Intelligence Mission platform

We have EA-18G/EA-6B to direct interdict enemy combat capability.

We have EC-130 Compass Call to direct infiltrate in enemy communication, control, counter information and network system.

We also have RC-135 /EC-12 for SIGINT mission

We also have EP-3 ARIES for ELINT mission

At the same time, EC-130H, EA-18G and F-16CJ work together to provide EW Countermeasure.

EC-135/EC-130J for EW Command and Control.

Not to mention ground station, F-22 Radar, AEGIS Radar can all be used to jam and provide some degree of Electronic Warfare capability.

Russia is now catching up to US in regard to EW, but if I remember correctly, Russia have no function Direct Attack and Airborne Infiltration equipment, along with C2 Structure under Electronic Warfare

How exactly US is "WAY BEHIND" with Russia with respect to EW Capability?

US have a full spectrum EW Warplane that's function in all spectrum and all kind of EW duties. If we have to separate the EW Spectrum, it can basically put into 4 category, and if I remember correctly, only US Military have a full spectrum performance in all 4 field. they are

Direct Attack
Electronic Countermeasure
Electronic Support
Intelligence Mission platform

We have EA-18G/EA-6B to direct interdict enemy combat capability.

We have EC-130 Compass Call to direct infiltrate in enemy communication, control, counter information and network system.

We also have RC-135 /EC-12 for SIGINT mission

We also have EP-3 ARIES for ELINT mission

At the same time, EC-130H, EA-18G and F-16CJ work together to provide EW Countermeasure.

EC-135/EC-130J for EW Command and Control.

Not to mention ground station, F-22 Radar, AEGIS Radar can all be used to jam and provide some degree of Electronic Warfare capability.

Russia is now catching up to US in regard to EW, but if I remember correctly, Russia have no function Direct Attack and Airborne Infiltration equipment, along with C2 Structure under Electronic Warfare

I can't speak for SIGNIT and ELINT but we are probably ahead of Russia in this department, but IMO Russia is way ahead in offensive and defensive EW

https://in.rbth.com/economics/2015/...ussian_radio_electronic_warfare_systems_41393

Russia is light years ahead in the EW game

I read about "The Cowboy Mentality" of US in a book- and studying the tactics of the US war machine over the years I find certain degree of truth to It-

Of all the EW methods you mentioned- Direct attack is probably the last resort or the least useful even perhaps not as effective against an advanced enemy- But I bet many in US think about this as the strongest and best from of EW and attack- Having said that I think Russian can have such configuration with their Su34 attack aircraft-

I can't speak for SIGNIT and ELINT but we are probably ahead of Russia in this department, but IMO Russia is way ahead in offensive and defensive EW

https://in.rbth.com/economics/2015/...ussian_radio_electronic_warfare_systems_41393

Russia is light years ahead in the EW game

That is individual/mobile jamming equipment, which would be used to compensate the theatre need for EW solution. That's what we called a "Filler" which are defensive measurement.

The problem with Russia is that they do not have a supplicated EW Network that can carry out EW mission 24/7, that's where you need to compliment your system with the stuff that you show here.

Problem is, those 5 mobile electronic warfare still belong to the 4 discipline of EW, just that their capability is lower and it cannot be use in conjunction to other package. A simple question, how do you deploy a Isklander-2 when you are in on the offensive? The answer is, you can't.

You are trying to compare the EW capability of US Army to Russian Military, of course they are light years ahead, as the US Army did not have a functioning EW branch. All Jamming work are done by USAF and US Navy, and unlike the Russian, they can provide Full Global Cover and in depth control and can implement these asset in conjunction to Normal Combat Operation.

And in the end, you are looking at something you don't actually know. US is Ahead of EW game in any conceivable way as possible. Just look at how DEA help Columbian capture Pablo Escobar, and you will understand, basically is what you mentioned here, but happened 20 years ago.

I cannot tell you more about what I know (Unless you hold a TS/SCI Clearance), maybe @Penguin or @gambit can shred some light on the subject

I read about "The Cowboy Mentality" of US in a book- and studying the tactics of the US war machine over the years I find certain degree of truth to It-

Of all the EW methods you mentioned- Direct attack is probably the last resort or the least useful even perhaps not as effective against an advanced enemy- But I bet many in US think about this as the strongest and best from of EW and attack- Having said that I think Russian can have such configuration with their Su34 attack aircraft-

No, actually, people like us who worked in Intelligence and Security would always go for C2 instead of direct attack.

In fact, of all 4 discipline, I would go on record to say Direct Attack (via ALQ-99 and ALQ-218) are the weakest link of the US military full spectrum EW package. they are seriously outdated, and they do not always works. The strongest link of EW package in the US is always the EC-130 Compass Call. Which act as an airborne C&C for EW Ops. But also have the capability to infiltrate enemy communication network. Which are more important than Direct Attack.

That is individual/mobile jamming equipment, which would be used to compensate the theatre need for EW solution. That's what we called a "Filler" which are defensive measurement.

The problem with Russia is that they do not have a supplicated EW Network that can carry out EW mission 24/7, that's where you need to compliment your system with the stuff that you show here.

Problem is, those 5 mobile electronic warfare still belong to the 4 discipline of EW, just that their capability is lower and it cannot be use in conjunction to other package. A simple question, how do you deploy a Isklander-2 when you are in on the offensive? The answer is, you can't.

You are trying to compare the EW capability of US Army to Russian Military, of course they are light years ahead, as the US Army did not have a functioning EW branch. All Jamming work are done by USAF and US Navy, and unlike the Russian, they can provide Full Global Cover and in depth control and can implement these asset in conjunction to Normal Combat Operation.

And in the end, you are looking at something you don't actually know. US is Ahead of EW game in any conceivable way as possible. Just look at how DEA help Columbian capture Pablo Escobar, and you will understand, basically is what you mentioned here, but happened 20 years ago.

I cannot tell you more about what I know (Unless you hold a TS/SCI Clearance), maybe @Penguin or @gambit can shred some light on the subject

No, actually, people like us who worked in Intelligence and Security would always go for C2 instead of direct attack.

In fact, of all 4 discipline, I would go on record to say Direct Attack (via ALQ-99 and ALQ-218) are the weakest link of the US military full spectrum EW package. they are seriously outdated, and they do not always works. The strongest link of EW package in the US is always the EC-130 Compass Call. Which act as an airborne C&C for EW Ops. But also have the capability to infiltrate enemy communication network. Which are more important than Direct Attack.

I have read that Russia once jammed US Destroyer Donald Cook? Is this true?

are you trying to say the U.S is more mobile with it's EW?? like for instance you say FULL GLOBAL COVERAGE, you are saying the U.S can get it's assests where it's needed?

but these systems Russia is developing are very mobile.

let's look at the system I am just saying are better than what the U.S has or doesn't have

Khibiny http://www.deagel.com/Aircraft-Protection-Systems/Khibiny_a002981001.aspx the U.S analog would be the ALQ-99 right?? what I am saying is this system is light years better than what we are using.

next

Moskva-1 http://kret.com/en/news/3876/
Passive location is a method of location that does not emit any signals, while received signals are processed for information, with the coordinates of tracked targets then transmitted to the command center that distributes information to the necessary sources. So, unlike conventional radar, Moskva-1 can remain invisible to the enemy while detecting air targets at ranges up to 400 kilometers.

do we even have anything like that in the West?

next

Krasukha-4 http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/russia-using-electronic-warfare-cloak-its-actions-syria-isis-nato-1523328

The Krasukha-4 broadband multifunctional jamming station is mounted on a BAZ-6910-022 four-axle-chassis. Like the Krasukha-2, the Krasukha-4 counters AWACS and other air borne radar systems. The Krasukha-4 has the range for effectively disrupting low earth orbit(LEO) satellites and can cause permanent damage to targeted radio-electronic devices. Ground based radars are also a viable target for the Krasukha-4.

only system I think of that remotely comes close to this is KORAL

http://www.janes.com/article/58326/turkey-receives-first-koral-land-based-ew-system

next

Rtut-M
This EW system is one of the most advanced to date. Rtut' (Mercury) is designed to protect soldiers and equipment from artillery fire, in case the artillery is equipped with proximity fuses.

In order to cause irreparable damage to manpower and weapons, proximity fuse must explode at the height of 3-5 meters. Rtut' affects proximity-fused ammunition making it explode at a safe height, which keeps the troops intact.

It's not only proximity fuses that Rtut'-BM complex is able to counteract. If necessary, it can be used to kill frequencies at which the enemy is radio-communicating.

One complex (similar to an armoured vehicle with a television antenna) is able to protect an area of 50 hectares.

According to the developers, Rtut'-BM has a great export potential and can be supplied to the traditional markets of Asia, Middle East, Africa and Latin America.

does anyone else have a system that explodes proximity fused artillery and rockets??

and lastly

President-S
President-S is a complex of optical-electronic suppression, which can protect from destruction any aircraft that is being attacked by missiles fired from MANPADS, equipped with heat seekers (elements that react to heat produced by the running engine of an aircraft or helicopter). During test firing, the missiles were fired from Igla (Needle) at a Mi-8 helicopter, fixed up on a special rig. Missiles were fired from a distance of 1000 meters, and not a single one reached the target - all the missiles deviated away from the helicopter and disbanded: missile guidance system was simply missing the target due to electronic interference created by the complex.

we don't have any system like this protecting our helicopters

here is the result of President-S

Russian hackers are translated as US headaches:

hackers.png

Back
Top Bottom