What's new

Russians Hold Up IAF Chopper Contests; trials of Apache & Chinook completed

i feel that comparing chinook with MI26 is a bit weird because the chinook is mainly designed as a troop carrier than a heavy transporter unlike MI26 and the MI26 is mainly desgined as a heavy transporter mainly used to carry large and over sized loads

I think we shouldnt go for Chinook and go for Mi 26.
Its cheap, more versatile, easy to operate, abd can give heavy lift requirements.

Its simply cost effective to go for Mi 26.

I think IAF shud go for APACHE for attack and chinook for transport......since we already have MI 26......

I think IAF shud go for APACHE for attack and chinook for transport......since we already have MI 26......

REALLLY??

mi26_01.jpg

mh-47-slingload-by-mi-26.jpg

MI-26 AND CHINOOK ARE HEAVY LIFT HELICOPTERS.
MI-26 NEEDS A HUGE MAINTAINANCE BUT CHINOOK DOESN'T.
CHINOOK CAN GO HIGHER ALTITUDES COMPAIRED WITH MI-26.
BUT
MI-26 CAN ITSELF CARRY CHINOOK.
MI-26 CAN CARRY BOFORS GUN.

IAF MUST BE VERY MUCH CONFUSED OVER WHAT TO CHOOSE AS BOTH ARE VERY GOOD.

IN ATTACK HELICOPTER COMPETITION APACHE IS THE REAL WINNER.
IN MY OPINION MI-28 LOOKS VERY UGLY.

i feel that comparing chinook with MI26 is a bit weird because the chinook is mainly designed as a troop carrier than a heavy transporter unlike MI26 and the MI26 is mainly desgined as a heavy transporter mainly used to carry large and over sized loads

exactly. there are some advantages and disadvantages for both chinook and mi 26.but overall I think its chinook that we should go for.

I dont care whether we go for Chinook or the Mi-26.

But the attack chopper deal should go to the best machine out there - Apache Longbow D

Man! that Mi 28 sure looks UGLY!!!! its funny, the Russians make some of the most beautiful aircrafts on the planet but some of the worst looking choppers!

Regarding the heavy lift helicopters, the Boeing presentation indeed shows the advantages of the Chinook, especially if we want to use them in the mountain areas in the north. But IAF would never be used it those situations the presentation shows, because it is simply too big. It is way more likely that IAF would use Mi 17s, so if the aim would have been to replace some older Mi 8/17 for these specal roles, the Chinook would be perfect. However, the aim is to replace older Mi 26, which means heavy lift capabilities all over the country should be the main aim right?

If so and going by wiki specs:

Ch 47D (not sure which version is offered)
- MTOW 22680 Kg
- 12700 Kg cargo
- 33-55 troops
- range 2252 Km

Mi 26
- MTOW 56000 Kg
- 20000 Kg cargo
- 90 troops
- range 1920 Km

I guess the latest versions of both might offer even better performance, but by pure lift capability, you need 2 Chinooks to replace 1 Mi 26.
Will be interesting to see what is more important for IAF!

Regarding the attack helicopters, I also hope for the Apaches and although it's not directly related to the competition, I just found these interestng pics of Israeli Apache long bows:

zvrtfzvt.jpg

14940845.jpg

vcxvrr.jpg

xzcfzxc.jpg

It seems like they were customised with Israeli parts too and it would be interesting if we could get those Israeli versions too.
Damn, especially at the last pic they look so bad with the external tank and the bigger size compared to the older Apache A versions of Greece air force in the background.

Why no mention of the 3rd option for heavy lift requirements, the CH-53?? has that already dropped out of what??

oh and in reference to above ^^ i think it's just perspective, not Isreali's being larger as the receive the same basic helo from Boeing and then paint it differently and fit different computer systems, regarding their need. (could possibly be slightly larger fuel tanks on Israeli version)

Indians complaining about other countries being behind schedule? HAL Teja, Arjun, Kaveri, Howitzers competition, CWG's etc etc.

:rofl::taz::cheers: Internal Problems are different from Buyer-Seller Format kid:cheers:

Back
Top Bottom