What's new

Russian T-50 Fighter Jet to Start State Flight Test in 2014

lilaspr

Reaction score
Russia will start state flight tests of its fifth-generation T-50 fighter jet in 2014, United Aircraft Corporation's President Mikhail Pogosyan told reporters on Tuesday.

“In 2013 we are expected to wrap up its preliminary tests and start operational testing. In 2014, we are planning to start official state tests,” Pogosyan said on Tuesday, adding "the first stage of the state trials should be complete by 2015."

The test program involves six prototype airframes, including four flying, one static and one systems test airframe. Another flying prototype will join the tests this year, Pogosyan said. "Flight testing this year will go ahead with five aircraft," he said.

The T-50, also known as PAK-FA (future tactical fighter aircraft), first flew in January 2010 and was presented to the public at the Moscow Air Show in 2011.

The T-50, which will be the core of Russia's future fighter fleet, is a fifth-generation multirole fighter aircraft featuring elements of "stealth" technology," super-maneuverability, super-cruise capability (supersonic flight without use of afterburner), and an advanced avionics suite including an X-band active phased-array radar.

India will also buy a fighter aircraft based on the T-50, known as the FGFA (fifth-generation fighter aircraft).

United Aircraft Corporation is the state holding company uniting Russia's aircraft building industry including Sukhoi, a military and civil aircraft manufacturer. (Source)

Russia will start state flight tests of its fifth-generation T-50 fighter jet in 2014, United Aircraft Corporation's President Mikhail Pogosyan told reporters on Tuesday.

“In 2013 we are expected to wrap up its preliminary tests and start operational testing. In 2014, we are planning to start official state tests,” Pogosyan said on Tuesday, adding "the first stage of the state trials should be complete by 2015."

The test program involves six prototype airframes, including four flying, one static and one systems test airframe. Another flying prototype will join the tests this year, Pogosyan said. "Flight testing this year will go ahead with five aircraft," he said.

The T-50, also known as PAK-FA (future tactical fighter aircraft), first flew in January 2010 and was presented to the public at the Moscow Air Show in 2011.

The T-50, which will be the core of Russia's future fighter fleet, is a fifth-generation multirole fighter aircraft featuring elements of "stealth" technology," super-maneuverability, super-cruise capability (supersonic flight without use of afterburner), and an advanced avionics suite including an X-band active phased-array radar.

India will also buy a fighter aircraft based on the T-50, known as the FGFA (fifth-generation fighter aircraft).

United Aircraft Corporation is the state holding company uniting Russia's aircraft building industry including Sukhoi, a military and civil aircraft manufacturer. (Source)

very good thin is project is on track.

hope they solve the non-flat under fuselage problem too, in upcoming prototypes

very good thin is project is on track.

hope they solve the non-flat under fuselage problem too, in upcoming prototypes

BTW,YF-23 did'nt had smooth under fuselage.SU-47 also had Serpentine intakes and flat belly and I think,Sukhoi DSB was not satisfied by Serpentine intakes.Thats why they have replaced it with air-variable intake

Apparently India will start testing the FGFA, in India, in 2014 also.

You mean sukhoi corporation. Other thing when we get it next year, what kind of testing we gonna do ?

Yes, the Sukhoi corporation. And I couldn't tell you the specifics of the flight test program the IAF will conduct but I assume it will start out on the basics, validating flight characteristics and will ramp up from there in complexity and will be boosted as the IAF receives 2 more flight test FGFA vehilces in 2017 and 2019.

What is state testing anyway ?

still now sukhoi tested it completely. RuAF tested a basic parameters only. from next RuAF will start its extensive trials that includes weapon testings with PAK FA.

So now it's confirmed that no T-50 for india. IAF going for FGFA only. i think we have to buy atleast 2 squadron of PAK FA before inducting FGFA.

i think we have to buy atleast 2 squadron of PAK FA before inducting FGFA.

I don't know, going by the latest reports it seems like the orders will be 100% FGFA, now that the twin-seat requirement is out of the window it would make little sense for the IAF to get the PAK-FA/T-50 and the FGFA. The FGFA is the variant of the PAK-FA optimised for India's needs and requirements.

maybe @sancho knows for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know, going by the latest reports it seems like the orders will be 100% FGFA, now that the twin-seat requirement is out of the window it would make little sense for the IAF to get the PAK-FA/T-50 and the FGFA. The FGFA is the variant of the PAK-FA optimised for India's needs and requirements.

yes dude that's what i mentioned. if we order PAK FA then we will get our first fifth generation fighter atleast in 2018/19. but for FGFA the estimated date itself 2022, so it will be ready at 2023/24 only.what's your opinion about inducting 2 to 3 squadron of pak fa and its strategic advantage in our airforce. because i think surely it will be a force multiplier because in 2018 we will be having only sukhoi 30mki in mass numbers and also we will be having just 30-40 rafale and 40 LCA mk1 only. so with pak fa we will maintain our fleet strength too because at that time we are going to retire all our mig 21's.

IAF always made it clear that they want a fully developed FGFA, not the preversion of Pak Fa that the Russian want to induct early. So don't expect the early version, unless the threat perception changes and makes an early procurement necessary.

yes dude that's what i mentioned. if we order PAK FA then we will get our first fifth generation fighter atleast in 2018/19. but for FGFA the estimated date itself 2022, so it will be ready at 2023/24 only.what's your opinion about inducting 2 to 3 squadron of pak fa and its strategic advantage in our airforce. because i think surely it will be a force multiplier because in 2018 we will be having only sukhoi 30mki in mass numbers and also we will be having just 30-40 rafale and 40 LCA mk1 only. so with pak fa we will maintain our fleet strength too because at that time we are going to retire all our mig 21's.

Mate, I understand what you are saying but on a practical level I think there isn't all that much sense in getting the PAK-FA just for the sake of having a 5th gen fighter a few years early ( I think the IAF will realistically have their first operational FGFAs in 2021/22). One could use the analogy of the MKIs and how the IAF first received the MKs, then traded them back and received the full-blown MKIs. However I think the FGFA/PAK-FA situation is far more complex and doesn't require this kind of plan.Let's not overlook the fact the IAF will have the formidable SUPER SU-30MKIs by this time which are more than a match for any fighter flying in the region at that point. Additionally I can't see the Russians being able to deliver 2-3 SQDs worth of PAK-FA by 2018-2022 to the IAF considering the RuAF has there own orders for ~200 PAK-FA/T-50 that will be under production at this point (2018-22).

Not to mention the issues of having two different variants will cause down the line. You will end up with a scenario where the T-50/PAK-FA and FGFA will have to be serviced in separate facilities or at least by separate technicians. Yes, the differences aren't stark but they are enough to cause a needless headache to the IAF. The T-50/PAK-FA is optimsed for the RuAF's needs and the FGFA for the IAF's so it makes sense for the IAF to stick with the FGFA for the entire 200-250 unit order, no need on diversifying.

+ @selvan33 there's no need for the IAF to jump the gun here. As @sancho says, unless the threat perception drastically changes the IAF will be more than capable in meeting its adversaries minus the FGFA until well past 2020. As it stands it looks like the IAF will be the first nation in the region to operate a full-fledged 5th gen fighter.

Let the FGFA be properly developed, let India reap the industrial benefits, let the IAF go about raising the proper infrastructure etc etc there's no rush at all.

+ @selvan33 there's no need for the IAF to jump the gun here. As @sancho says, unless the threat perception drastically changes the IAF will be more than capable in meeting its adversaries minus the FGFA until well past 2020. As it stands it looks like the IAF will be the first nation in the region to operate a full-fledged 5th gen fighter.

Let the FGFA be properly developed, let India reap the industrial benefits, let the IAF go about raising the proper infrastructure etc etc there's no rush at all.

well i understood mate, and rafale is also going to be a changer in our region if we signed a deal in this year itself..

Back
Top Bottom