What's new

Russian submarine hits UK warship’s sonar during chase in North Atlantic

Muhammed45

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Iran, Islamic Republic Of
A Russian submarine collided with a British warship’s sonar during a chase in the Arctic Circle.

The Ministry of Defence (MOD) has confirmed for the first time that the crash took place with the Royal Navy submarine in late 2020.

The Russian submarine struck HMS Northumberland’s towed array sonar - a cable covered in hydrophones - which it was trailing hundreds of metres behind it.
HMS Northumberland had been tracking the submarine 200 miles north of Scotland before it reportedly disappeared from the ship’s radar.

The MOD rarely comments on operations but did so because the crash was caught on camera while Channel 5 were filming for its Warship: Life at Sea series.

Obsolete Russian Navy sub was caught by the British warship with a "towed array sonar - a cable covered in hydrophones - which it was trailing hundreds of metres behind it."

It would be interesting to know which submarine was it of the Russian Navy. As I understand, Russia has deployed two new classes of submarines and they are by far one of the most formidable submarines ever built.

Lots of these events happened during the cold war - collisions and mishaps as they played cat and mouse games in the Atlantic. But that old ship certainly nailed that sub for sure -

Must be the way Navy says "shut-up!".

It would be interesting to know which submarine was it of the Russian Navy. As I understand, Russia has deployed two new classes of submarines and they are by far one of the most formidable submarines ever built.

Considering that the UK is tracking it, if I was Russian I be worried.

Considering that the UK is tracking it, if I was Russian I be worried.

Vigilant, yes ... worried, no. In the end, it boils down to numbers and that's one thing uk does not have. Russia has taken the necessary steps to ensure it has qualitative technological advantage over its territory against any adversary.

Vigilant, yes ... worried, no. In the end, it boils down to numbers and that's one thing uk does not have. Russia has taken the necessary steps to ensure it has qualitative technological advantage over its territory against any adversary.

Considering Russia is dealing with multiple European navies alone, Europe would have the advantage in quantity category.

Considering Russia is dealing with multiple European navies alone, Europe would have the advantage in quantity category.
Considering that if it turns into a Europe + US vs. Russia thing, it will be basically like a world war and China and Iran and possibly some other countries like North Korea and Pakistan will join the show as well, Europe will lose that quantitative advantage very fast.

Considering that if it turns into a Europe + US vs. Russia thing, it will be basically like a world war and China and Iran and possibly some other countries like North Korea and Pakistan will join the show as well, Europe will lose that quantitative advantage very fast.
Russia and China can take on all of Europe if they wanted to.

Russia and China can take on all of Europe if they wanted to.
Russia and China? Russia alone can do that if push comes to shove.
I'm just adding China, Iran and North Korea because of the US factor.
The US is what keeps NATO a formidable power.

Obsolete Russian Navy sub was caught by the British warship with a "towed array sonar - a cable covered in hydrophones - which it was trailing hundreds of metres behind it."
Brits should have used a large fishing net to catch the sub instead.

You know there are other countries allied with Europe and U.S. besides what you see? Like if China and Iran are involved who do you think will also get involved?

You know there are other countries allied with Europe and U.S. besides what you see? Like if China and Iran are involved who do you think will also get involved?
Like whom? Saudi Arabia that even with a multinational coalition and multi-billion dollar arms purchases has failed to defeat the impoverished Houthies in Yemen after 7 years?

Meanwhile, besides China and Iran, Russia too has other allies as well. Venezuela, Cuba, Kazakhstan, Syria, North Korea and even Pakistan (because of the Chinese influence) may get involved. It can get pretty ugly for the world real quick. Even India may support Russia because of her previous well-established alliance with them. Russia and China have been establishing military ties with some of the most pro-US states in recent years. Egypt, Turkey and even Spain come to mind. Do not generalize your Russophobia to all parts of the world so easily.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom