What's new

Russian stealth fighter inferior to US-made F-35 and F-22 jets - IAF

Indian Air Force believes that the platform lacks the desired stealth characteristics and is inferior to US-made F-35 and F-22 jets.

A multibillion dollar programme to develop and produce a stealth fighter with Russia appears to be in peril, with the Indian Air Force (IAF) against pursuing it as it believes that the platform lacks the desired stealth characteristics and is inferior to US-made F-35 and F-22 jets, said a senior IAF officer familiar with the project.

He clarified there were no plans to go for a US stealth fighter.

In the IAF’s assessment, the proposed Indo-Russian fifth generation fighter aircraft, or FGFA, comes with limited capabilities and design issues at an exorbitant price. “Whether the FGFA programme is on or off will be a political decision. The IAF doesn’t think it’s worth pursuing,” the person quoted above said.

The government is finding it hard to reconcile two different points of view on FGFA.

While the IAF wants the project to be abandoned, a high-powered panel appointed by defence ministry to examine different aspects of FGFA recommended in its report last year that India should go ahead with the scheme.

“We are spending more time to see what are the merits and demerits of both arguments. But yes, the FGFA is abhorrently expensive, so we are looking at what we are getting for our money,” said a top defence ministry official familiar with the project.

Air Marshal Simhakutty Varthaman (retd), who headed the ministry’s panel, refused comments on his report or the contrary IAF view on the stealth fighter. “I would like to leave it to the defence ministry,” he said.

India has been in discussions with Russia but has not signed a $4 billion research and development contract for FGFA.

“I was never enthused by it and I would go by what IAF has to say,” said Air Marshal Vinod Patni (retd), head of Centre for Air Power Studies and a former IAF vice chief.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/indi...with-russia/story-17X10snonrs4A6FwOJAxOI.html
If you are buying Russian, you should adopt their war methodology as well. They were never best, but they still defeated the best(Germans) of the time. Number and Zeal is the key here. You want to buy the best? Buy American.

Russia wanted a Su-30 MKI like deal,wanted to develop the plane with India money but it has to realise that the times have changed.India is a much larger economy than Russia already and has much more options.

Russia wanted a Su-30 MKI like deal,wanted to develop the plane with India money but it has to realise that the times have changed.India is a much larger economy than Russia already and has much more options.

For stealth fighters, what other options does India have besides PAKFA?

For stealth fighters, what other options does India have besides PAKFA?
AMCA is in Final Stages of prototyping with GE414 engines and French and Israeli avionicsand Indian inputs like controls and wirring harnesses

besides AMCA Japan is also ready to share its Shin Shin 5th gen fighter with india and USA & OL has shared Its EMALS tech for nuclear powered 65K Tonne IAC2 in return that india buys at least two full squads of F35 (36) for it & its sister ship rest keep speculating :coffee:

Reported for personal insults and trolling.

:lol:
As if i care :haha:

good luck.jpg

AMCA is in Final Stages of prototyping with GE414 engines and French and Israeli avionicsand Indian inputs like controls and wirring harnesses

besides AMCA Japan is also ready to share its Shin Shin 5th gen fighter with india and USA & OL has shared Its EMALS tech for nuclear powered 65K Tonne IAC2 in return that india buys at least two full squads of F35 (36) for it & its sister ship rest keep speculating :coffee:

As if i care :haha:

View attachment 459954

AMCA is still decades away. Also, Japan will eventually scrap its domestic fifth gen fighter.

And share any concrete proof that US hs offer any F-35 to India. As long as India is tether to PAKFA, India will not get its hands on F-35.

AMCA is still decades away. Also, Japan will eventually scrap its domestic fifth gen fighter.

And share any concrete proof that US hs offer any F-35 to India. As long as India is tether to PAKFA, India will not get its hands on F-35.
your wrong FGFA is coming and so is F35 and AMCA just like we had Mig29 and Mirage 2000 and now even USA & LM wants us to have F16 Blk70/72 and TATA & LM are already in deal for it ;) :D

no worries we will buy all of them F35C(V/STOL) is for 65K tonne IAC-2 and her sister ship while AMCA is a medium wieght for SEAD/ DEAD roles to replcae Mirage2000 & jaguar fleets while Shin Shin is the light 5th Gen but FGFA/PAKFA is the heavy class 5th gen ,... see the role diffrence

IAF should cancel all project and focus on AMCA and Texas fighter. Heck, even China and Pakistan would contribute financially to these planes. Especially if India promise to build its own engine without foreign assistance.
lol:haha::haha::argh:

IAF should cancel all project and focus on AMCA and Texas fighter. Heck, even China and Pakistan would contribute financially to these planes. Especially if India promise to build its own engine without foreign assistance.
lol:haha::haha:

Oh IAF realized FGA is un stealthy only when F-35 possibility increase or it a trick to reduce price by Russian. An as they IAF don't want to get F-35 what alternative they have J-20 from China .:P

Have you ever followed the reasoning and consequent outcome behind a clash between two air fleets of stealth aircraft? Do try it before commenting.

Chinese build for us its a Joint fighter sir 42 % still being built by Chinese, don't live in fool world @xyxmt :hitwall::devil::crazy:

I am not in fools paradise but some people here are because they dont have any idea about business ventures. Its not a joint product with Chinese Air force, but its a joint product between Chengdu and PAC/PAF initiated by PAF with technical/design help from Changdu, it could be made 100% in Changdu but it still is a PAF project who gurantees buying these airplanes, Chinese Air Force has nothing to do with it

Apparently not as MoD has recently cancelled the SE tender so both LM and Gripen aren't in the picture anymore. Yankees wouldn't wanna agree with significant ToT and they may only offer us nut and bolt jobs which is why GoI isn't interested in the F-16 while procuring the Gripen would be the same as dealing with the Americans as it uses a lot of American components and acquiring any SE fighter would kill our indigenous projects (LCA) and this is what our corrupt IAF's top brass wanted to do. No wonder the SE tender has been scrapped.

AFAIK, IAF would go with 2 more squadrons of Rafales and IN may also procure the Rafale-M's for IAC-2/3 which is be the best option available for us as that would maintain uniformity and commonality among our fleets and we wouldn't have to worry about maintenance or logistics. This may also result in the French transferring significant ToT to us and would help us in developing variants of the Kaveri-GTX engine which could be used in our indigenous projects

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...or-wider-competition/articleshow/63034958.cms
Iaf leadership whose job is to defend Indian skies and is the expert and user of jets is corrupt for reject ing Tejas ??? :)

LOls who are talking ... a citizen of a nation which house largest poorest population where basic necessities like toilets are not available and people have to use beaches for that purpose.

aik lahar aty hai aur sary mail dhul jaty hai..

Iaf leadership whose job is to defend Indian skies and is the expert and user of jets is corrupt for reject ing Tejas ??? :)
I'm not saying they're corrupt because of rejecting Tejas and they've already to committed to procuring 123 Mk-1A and 201 Mk-2. What I'm stating is that the corruption involved in Indian armed forces is well known, particularly IAF and IN and there have been numerous reports be in the Augusta chopper deal or the Bofors scam and numerous others which you can see from a simple google search and many such which haven't even see light. They favor kickbacks and wouldn't hesitate to kill any indigenous project in the making

I think iaf wants f-35 but there is no money.also make in India project is not working well.i think before making any new plane,India should send it's engineers to train outside and than make engines and avionics back at home.pakistan don't have the money to buy best fighter jets.we were interested in rafale but cost was too high for us.i think if India signs a contract for more rafale,they must ask french to give them tot.i think India and Pakistan both needs to develop their own fighter jets now.look at the globe,everyone is making fighter jets and we are still uneducated in this department.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom