Russian envoy: media unfair to Russian arms

IND151

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
by Ajai Shukla
8th Dec 11

(A shorter version of this post was published in Business Standard today)

Moscow’s frustration over its declining share of India’s defence market boiled over today, with the Russian ambassador, Alexander Kadakin, alleging unfair treatment by the Indian media at a press conference in New Delhi.

Reacting to a Business Standard/Broadsword report (Technology transfer, supply of assemblies hit Russian stonewall, dated 28th Nov 11), which highlighted contractual lapses by Russia in the indigenous production of the T-90S tank, Kadakin lashed out at this correspondent and simultaneously blamed the Heavy Vehicle Factory (HVF), Avadi, which builds the T-90S tank.

“One journalist… maybe he was having a very difficult hangover in the morning… wrote something that Russia is not supplying drawings for T-90. Russia is not giving the steels or the other necessary (components). Everything he wrote from beginning to end was completely false. Completely false. Russia has completely carried out all its obligations as regards T-90. The problem was with the producers here; the manufacturers here. We were not commenting on this because we were not wanting to blackmouth (sic) the Indian partners. They had problems, not Russia,” declared Kadakin

I accosted Kadakin after the press conference and asked him why the Russian Embassy had not responded to my questionnaire, which I had emailed them a week before actually carrying the story. I asked him whether he had any specific responses now, or was merely trying to dodge the issue by blaming a correspondent’s hangover.

Kadakin made some feeble joke, suggested that I have a vodka (at the hospitality bar that the Russian Embassy had set up for the press conference), and scuttled off.

In the press conference, Kadakin also castigated the Indian media for “rejoicing” when Russia’s Mi-28 attack helicopter lost out to the US-built Apache AH-64D in the trials held earlier this year by the Indian Air Force (IAF), Kadakin said, “Yes, we lost the contract of attack helicopters to Apache. But no correspondent wrote that Russia participated in that tender just to be in that tender. But what a huge noise was raised here. Russia is losing its position… as if one were rejoicing over it.”

While India remains a major buyer of Russian military equipment, Russian sales have been eroded by new competition, primarily from Israel and the US. America’s presence has been boosted by recent sales of the C-130J Super Hercules; and the C-17 Globemaster III transport aircraft; and the P8I Poseidon multi-role maritime aircraft (MMR).

Lashing out at Washington’s recent indication that it would sell India its cutting edge F-35 Lightening II joint strike fighter, Kadakin declared, “Some other countries, sometimes it seems as if they are throwing carrots into India’s garden. They throw a carrot about some 35 plane (i.e. the F-35). Are you sure they will give the technologies,” said Kadakin, taking a swipe at the strict controls that the US exercises over defence technologies.

Moscow’s breezy attitude towards technology controls was evident in the Kadakin’s explanation of how Pakistan’s JF-17 fighter was flying with a Russian RD-93 engine, despite Moscow’s assertions that it would not sell arms to Pakistan: “Sorry, we are not in the picture. If China is selling (the engine to Pakistan)… they should not do it. If they violate (our contract), we are nowhere in the picture.

Kadakin lamented that the media only highlighted delays to Russian platforms, like the Gorshkov aircraft carrier; and three frigates that Russia is building. In a barely disguised swipe at the French Scorpene submarine programme, he said, “Of course there were delays about the (Russian) frigates… But why are you not writing about a three-year delay in some other marine thing… and you know what I mean.”

Pointing obliquely to the Akula class nuclear submarine that Moscow is leasing to India, Kadakin emphasising Russia’s unique role in provided strategic technologies.

“Why don’t you write about other things we are giving you… some underwater things? What other country has given you that?” demanded Kadakin.

Russian media reports have suggested that the nuclear submarine is undergoing final trials before being handed over to the Indian Navy, which will name it INS Chakra. Kadakin confirmed that the submarine was “in the pipeline” and “it will come soon”.

To highlight the success of the India-Russia defence relationship, Kadakin also pointed to the Brahmos programme, in which the two countries jointly built a supersonic cruise missile, Kadakin claimed that Russia had “given India the best of technologies for Brahmos… as a result of which you have the best supersonic missile in the world.”

It was another typically Kadakin example of chicanery. Russia has not “given India” any technologies for the Brahmos! The two sides have developed their respective portions of the missile separately, and both sides’ components and sub-systems are assembled into Brahmos missile systems without any technology being transferred.

Kadakin demonstrated during the press conference that he is neither a military technologist, nor a diplomat. Rather, he is a politician and a showman who can beguile Indian audiences, which tend to have little or no knowledge of military-technical issues.

Kadakin also brought up the GLONAS issue: “Who has have offered you the high-precision signal for GLONAS. Yes, they [i.e. the Americans] can offer you GPS… and you will get in the same trouble as they got in Iraq. India is, was and will be the first and only country which has been offered GLONAS. And the decision was taken by the government to give it only to India as a special exception, taking into account our especially friendly relations.”

one reader had informed Ajay Shukla that Russians are angry due to his article

his ( reader's ) words are proved right

Very true..... Indian media seems to love blaming the Russians for everything..... Take the following example- if we cant manufacture the scorpene submarines fast enough or in time then everybody blames MDL but any problem with the T 90M production and its all Russsia's fault.

Its also very true that no other country will give India the amount of technology that Russia provides - I'd love to see USA or Britain give us plans of the abrams or the challenger - never gonna happen.
But Russia should also not pay much attention to media - because these are not the opinions of the armed forces or the indian govt.

indian DODO is of no use..scrap it or make it private.
you know how much public sector work sincerely..:lol:

I love it, Russians start to lose grip and lash out!

The Russian is trying to make out that this is one "rougue" jurno's rant/vendetta with no precedent or evidence. However he is completely ignoring the FACTS, I cant think of a SINGLE Indo-Russian arms deal that hasn't a) dramatically increased in price from initial quotes, b) been massively delayed c) all of the above. Think about it: infamous Vikramditya (no need to delve deeper), Talwar frigates and follow on order (delayed and massive increase in price), MRTA (going nowhere fast and already talk is of extra cash needed by Indians), T-90 (again no need) Mi-17 (delivered very late) etc etc.

And can the Indian media really be blamed for a "pro-US" agenda when the first Indo-US defence purchases happen in budget and on time (even early)- C-130j (delivered on time), P-8I (first flight already taken place with induction right on schedule), C-17 (Boeing have said they will ramp-up production and take whatever measures needed to deliver IAF C-17s on time or early). Similarly US companies have invested/are investing time/money to set up proper infrastructure to support their products once in service with India whilst time after time the Russians give a shoddy product and when they eventually fall apart they couldn't care less. Evidence- India recently opened global tenders for spares for RUSSIAN equipment after Russian feet dragging and inaction in this area.

I'd say this downward trend in Indo-Russian military trade is going to continue and likely worsen as India's clout on the world stage increases and pockets deepen meaning India can buy anything she wants and the rest of the world are willing to give her whatever this may be. Not to mention Indian products reaching acceptable standards to be inducted (of course some time of in some cases). Russia took India for granted for to long believing India had no option other than Russia for defence equipment, this attitude is going to hurt them now. And it is going to hurt BAD.

For some reason I have never liked Ajai Shukla,don't know why Maj.(retd) Maroof Raza doesnt write much.

Russians are our thickest friend !!! But our media is increasingly becoming US friendly and i may not be surprised if US secretly gives funds for these kinda matters !!!

Back
Top Bottom