What's new

Russian Analyst: Russia should support US takeover of Pak nukes

Screaming Skull

Reaction score

NDTV.com: Pak principle nuclear threat: Russia

Saturday, April 11, 2009,

Washington: Describing Pakistan as the "principle" nuclear threat to Russia, an eminent foreign policy and security expert has claimed that Moscow would support any US endeavour to take away Islamabad's atomic weapons in case of any destabilisation in the Islamic nation.

"Russian authorities for many years have been indicating that Pakistan was a much more serious problem, both for nuclear proliferation and for nuclear terrorism, than Iran," Alexei Arbatov, Chairman of the Non-Proliferation Programme of Carnegie Moscow Centre, said at a recent seminar here.

"Russia has been living already for more than a decade within reach of Pakistani nuclear missiles and without any means to defend against them. So Russia considered and considers Pakistan to be the principal threat from the point of view of nuclear proliferation," he said.

Arbatov was a member of the Russian Parliament from 1994 to 2003 and Deputy Chairman of the Defence Committee. Author of several books, he is also a member of the Advisory Council to the Foreign Minister and heads a panel on strategic planning for the Scientific Board of the Security Council of Russian Federation.

DNA: World: Russia considers Pakistan its principal nuclear threat

Referring to the improving Indo-US ties in the last few years, Arbatov said Russia would not try to do a similar thing with Pakistan, as is being said in certain quarters, to counter the coming together of India and the US.

"That does not command any respect or any support. That's -- of the few things of which I'm sure that Russia will not do such a U-turn," he asserted.

"I think that Russia would support whatever may be done to stabilise Pakistan, to have some precautions and some tentative planning to take away Pakistani nuclear weapons, one way or the other, if the country becomes totally destabilised," Arbatov said.

However, he said "India and Iran would be much more important American partners in dealing with the situation of Pakistan and China".

Last edited:
I always knew it would come to this.
There is no way anyone can take away nukes from the only Muslim nation that has it.The russians,indians,americans they all want our nukes to be taken aay from us.
What do you guys think China would do if they did try it,i mean would they support them or would they support us remember how they said "dealing with the situation in china and pak"

Last edited:
Not a single non-Indian source reporting this.

This is the same source that claimed India has rail guns and is working on UFO technology.
Even if his statement is true we can understand why he is saying this.After all we broke the backs of Soviet Union during Afghan war.

Even if his statement is true we can understand why he is saying this.After all we broke the backs of Soviet Union during Afghan war.
He is no longer a part of the government hes just an expert that sits on some committee. His comments don't represent Russian government's views. India does have deep roots in Russia and it can engineer such comments.

He is no longer a part of the government hes just an expert that sits on some committee. His comments don't represent Russian government's views. India does have deep roots in Russia and it can engineer such comments.

it is not a comment posted on a forum...but in a seminar...do you think that russia thinks otherwise?
chechenya...is a prime pain in the a$$ for the ruskies...they just share the concern of the americans that given the rising instability....nukes might go hither-thither.

Alexei Arbatov's profile- The Carnegie Moscow Center - Expert Council and Staff - Alexei Arbatov

Carnegie Moscow Centre Wbsite- The Carnegie Moscow Center

2009 Carnegie International Nonproliferation Conference held from April 6-7 2009 in which the comments were made. The Carnegie Moscow Center - News and Events - 2009 Carnegie International Nonproliferation Conference

This was a conference held by top delegates from world over. The comments were made in their presence. Do you still believe that these were engineered by India?

Conference Agenda- http://www.carnegie.ru/en/pubs/media/11905agenda_6_7_04_2009.pdf

See page 9 of the Agenda. There is a session called 'Nuclear Crisis Points: Iran, North Korea, Syria, and Pakistan'

lol i love these armchair generals all these people just barking c'mon for many years now these politicians and think tanks are talking about pak nukes well come on then what are they waiting for ? since we're so dangerous come on in and take them they been talking for years now and done nothing fact is they don't have the balls or capabilty to take them from us .Making statements is the closest they'll ever get to our nukes.

A lame research centre this guy is working in...he representing Russia?

Alexei Arbatov's profile- The Carnegie Moscow Center - Expert Council and Staff - Alexei Arbatov

Carnegie Moscow Centre Wbsite- The Carnegie Moscow Center

2009 Carnegie International Nonproliferation Conference held from April 6-7 2009 in which the comments were made. The Carnegie Moscow Center - News and Events - 2009 Carnegie International Nonproliferation Conference

This was a conference held by top delegates from world over. The comments were made in their presence. Do you still believe that these were engineered by India?

Conference Agenda- http://www.carnegie.ru/en/pubs/media/11905agenda_6_7_04_2009.pdf

See page 9 of the Agenda. There is a session called 'Nuclear Crisis Points: Iran, North Korea, Syria, and Pakistan'
elected official? No.

Well.. its a fact.. that pakistan is facing serious threats from extrimists. And there is no strong politcal will to curb these menace.. taliban is within the country taunting the nation. A country where every walk of life is governed by religion you cannot keep away an extrimsts from the system. He can be in your nuclear program, government, isi, security forces, army police etc... If pakistan doesnt concentrate on econcomic development.. the other alternative for the poor people will only be extrimsm..If this continues moderates will be outnumbered by the extrimists very soon.. so i would perfer a stable pak with no nukes..the world would be a much safer place..!!!

Well.. its a fact.. that pakistan is facing serious threats from extrimists. And there is no strong politcal will to curb these menace.. taliban is within the country taunting the nation. A country where every walk of life is governed by religion you cannot keep away an extrimsts from the system. He can be in your nuclear program, government, isi, security forces, army police etc... If pakistan doesnt concentrate on econcomic development.. the other alternative for the poor people will only be extrimsm..If this continues moderates will be outnumbered by the extrimists very soon.. so i would perfer a stable pak with no nukes..the world would be a much safer place..!!!

No Pakistan is not extremist. India is Hindu extremist. India needs to be disarmed because it poses the serious threat to this South Asian subcontinent. :smokin:

No Pakistan is not extremist. India is Hindu extremist. India needs to be disarmed because it poses the serious threat to this South Asian subcontinent. :smokin:

:lol: You can be beat my pet parrot..!!! ;) Well i never said pakistan is a extrimst nation, its is affected heavely by the extrimsts. Islam is the end word for i believe 99 percent of muslims in pakistan, unlike the hindus here, who have no concrete body to enforce /guide or lead people or instil the so called hindu virtues.. they dont have ny proper school to teach religion like the madrassas... The VHPs and the bajrang dal's have a very little or close to nil influence the religious part of any hindu.

So chances of extrimsm to influence or to take over pakistan is more as they have a system laid out on the basis of religion.. which have been misused or misintpred or exploited by the peopls like mehsud talibans etc. So i would say that there is a geninune case for worry by the world.

:lol: You can be beat my pet parrot..!!! ;) Well i never said pakistan is a extrimst nation, its is affected heavely by the extrimsts. Islam is the end word for i believe 99 percent of muslims in pakistan, unlike the hindus here, who have no concrete body to enforce /guide or lead people or instil the so called hindu virtues.. they dont have ny proper school to teach religion like the madrassas... The VHPs and the bajrang dal's have a very little or close to nil influence the religious part of any hindu.

So chances of extrimsm to influence or to take over pakistan is more as they have a system laid out on the basis of religion.. which have been misused or misintpred or exploited by the peopls like mehsud talibans etc. So i would say that there is a geninune case for worry by the world.

:lol: You can be beat my pet parrot..!!! ;) Well i never said India is an extrimst nation, it is affected heavely by the Hindu extrimsts. Hindu is the end word for i believe 84 percent of Hindus in India, unlike the Muslims here, who have no concrete body to enforce /guide or lead people... The VHPs and the bajrang dal's have a very strong influence in the religious part of any fanatic hindu, like you.

So chances of extrimsm to influence or to take over India is more as they have a system laid out on the basis of religion.. which have been misused or misintpred or exploited by the peopls like Thackerey RSS etc. So i would say that there is a geninune case for worry by the world. :smokin:

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom