What's new

Russia wants to replace US computer chips with local processors

Errr... If you think that Indian is me then you are wrong. Currently I am using Hawaii netconnect Modem and it is running nice and I have an another one too from Hawaii. But my concern in this thread is about imposing ban on processors and GPUs on comon people who don't carry any risk to national security. I never said indigenous developments should not be pursued but in competition.
Now that "Russia can't do this, China can't do that" comes from my atleast getting 1/3 IPC of single sandy core then that coment wasn't particular for Russia or China but for Global ARM industry and even AMD. Coz this Baikai processor is going to be based on 64-bit ARM which is a RISC processor.
Now I like the Microsoft OS for gaming which comes with x64 only ( Linux gaming yuk).

That's why GPUs is/are paired with CPU and we know that and that's why NV is going to pair their next gen GPUs with 64bit ARM cpus coz they dont have x64 licnse.

ARM is popular in server segment. Less power consumption.

But my concern in this thread is about imposing ban on processors and GPUs on comon people who don't carry any risk to national security. I never said indigenous developments should not be pursued but in competition.

If the noveau riche want such privilege they can pay 200% to 400% more in form of tariffs. Gaming and I5 or i7 is not affordable to common man. Most common man in Russia have dual core PC's with slow speed or Android phone . Not all Russians spend 1000$/700$ on some computer. Likely such heavy tariffs are in the line to wean away

Now I like the Microsoft OS for gaming which comes with x64 only ( Linux gaming yuk).

If microsoft would want to remain in russian/chinese market they will have to adopt to baikal,Elbrus or loongson and close the backdoors.The monopoly is going to end. If microsoft wants to be a dinosaur(which it is becoming increasingly with its bloated code and faulty code which is deliberate) ,then it will become extinct .That can be performed by executive decree ,opening cases of sabotage of national security or heavy tariffs.

Already,Intel and AMD lost 1.3 billion $ with Russian govt canceling orders. The russian market is 3.5 billion-5 billion$ per year .

@Beidou2020 , I agree with your statement of defeatist mentality in Indians and Pakistanis.

Last edited:
Actually,there is a lot of effort being made by Medvedvev to improve transparency and make better business environment in Russia .And his efforts are paying off.

That depends. Russia does not have massive data fusion centers like USA and China . That has been noticed by IT experts outside russia. Due to this ,some companies considered moving their servers to Russia

Just wait and see.Things are changing a lot. In next 6 years you will be surprised.

The issue isn't how competitive the Russian business environment is. The issue is whether Russian products will be compromised by demands from the Russian government, as some American products are alleged to be.

The US has one of the most competitive business environments in the world. That hasn't stopped the government from imposing its demands (allegedly) on some of the most competitive companies in the world.

The issue isn't how competitive the Russian business environment is. The issue is whether Russian products will be compromised by demands from the Russian government, as some American products are alleged to be.

The US has one of the most competitive business environments in the world. That hasn't stopped the government from imposing its demands (allegedly) on some of the most competitive companies in the world.

Russian products likely will not be compromised .Russian govt is trying to build reputation and if it compromises it then ,it will shoot itself in the foot.There is already a pressure by Medvedvev and many russian companies on privacy laws and transparency.

The US has one of the most competitive business environments in the world.

In many industries this is not true .There is a lot of red tape in USA.Google Doug Casey ,Casey report or read through the archive of financial analysis like market oracle. Things are changing a lot these days.

please show us the benchmarks when 64 bit ARM reaches the 1/3 of IPC of single x64 old sandy core. Making indigenous chips for Govt.,strategic and sensitive equipment and institutional body is very good but imposing it on comon public is not.

OpenCL 2.0, CUDA6 and in future with HSA, Parallel computing is going to touch new highs on desktops, mobile phones , servers, workstations, laptops. Quantum computing is a distant thing and not fully backed by big corporate-s.
search for early leaks of Denver chips , its not a vanilla core like what Russia plan to do but it do better than what you said and do it by consuming just 6-7 w of power while having a better GPU than what Intel sandy bridge could dream of providing and also being on a 28nm node

ITAR-TASS: Economy - Russia wants to replace US computer chips with local processors

June 19, 16:44 UTC+4
US microchips Intel and AMD will be replaced by domestically-produced micro processor Baikal in a project worth dozens of millions of dollars
1046466.jpg

MOSCOW, June 19. /ITAR-TASS/. Russia’s Industry and Trade Ministry plans to replace US microchips Intel and AMD, used in government’s computers, with domestically-produced micro processor Baikal in a project worth dozens of millions of dollars, business daily Kommersant reported Thursday.

The Baikal micro processor will be designed by a unit of T-Platforms, a producer of supercomputers, next year, with support from state defense conglomerate Rostec and co-financing by state-run technological giant Rosnano.

The first products will be Baikal M and M/S chips, designed on the basis of 64-bit nucleus Cortex A-57 made by UK company ARM, with frequency of 2 gigahertz for personal computers and micro servers.

The Baikal chips will be installed on computers of government bodies and in state-run firms, which purchase some 700,000 personal computers annually worth $500 million and 300,000 servers worth $800 million. The total volume of the market amounts to about 5 million devices worth $3.5 billion.

Is there additional info about it? for example, it is going to be fabricated by which technology? 22 nm? 45 nm? and in the fabrication facilities of which country? What would be the CPU cache? power consumption? overclock?

okay titan computer cost is 945 million $ ,tianhe-2 is 390 million$. GPGPU is not fully mature in my opinion. Tianhe-2 proves to be cheaper.

2.4 billion Yuan (US$390 million)
Tianhe-2 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

$945 million
Titan (supercomputer) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
in compute world ,the energy use is one of the main factors hear , Titan use 6.5gw and Tianhe-2 use 24gw that's 4 time energy use while doing just while just doing nearly less than twice

in compute world ,the energy use is one of the main factors hear , Titan use 6.5gw and Tianhe-2 use 24gw that's 4 time energy use while doing just while just doing nearly less than twice
power consumption is mostly important for microprocessors that are going to be used in cell phones, ... since it receives power from battery.

Is there additional info about it? for example, it is going to be fabricated by which technology? 22 nm? 45 nm? and in the fabrication facilities of which country? What would be the CPU cache? power consumption? overclock?

Baikal is 28 nm ,if some of the details are right.

If you want to get out of American/Western domination you are going to have to be more aggressive in your approach and not even base it on linux (well maybe you were using it as an example)

Linux was basically written by one man...if you can't even pull that off why are you even wasting your time on microchips?
I think you are referring to Linus Torvalds. Actually, he had a big role, but linux was an achievement of a big group, not only Torvalds's achievement ;) Anyway, I agree with you about the rest of your post. Specially, if Russians are worried about their security, they need to focus on writing a new OS, rather than designing a microprocessor.

Baikal is 28 nm ,if some of the details are right.
It is not bad. It is still a bit behind ITRS roadmaps, though.

power consumption is mostly important for microprocessors that are going to be used in cell phones, ... since it receives power from battery.
its also very important in HPC , who is gonna pay the bill for that 24gw of electricity ?
and higher energy use mean higher heat and higher failure in component and that also means higher higher maintenance fee , and that's why the GPU is popular for HPC .

let show you what a small army of low powered chips can do against a single big chip
GeForce GTX Titan vs a Render Farm with Six GTX 750 | Geeks3D

Code:
Price:

GTX Titan: ~ 1000 euros
    six GTX 750: ~ 750 euros

Rendering time

GTX Titan: 11 min 15
    six GTX 750: 3 min 9

Power consumption

GTX Titan: 250W
    six GTX 750: 257W

here is the picture the left side is the rendering firm and the right side is the rendering farm

tianhe use the 32000 intel xeon E5-2692 12C plus 48,000 Xeon Phi 31S1P while Titan use 18,688 AMD Opteron 6274 16-core CPUs 18,688 Nvidia Tesla K20X GPUs

its also very important in HPC , who is gonna pay the bill for that 24gw of electricity ?
and higher energy use mean higher heat and higher failure in component and that also means higher higher maintenance fee , and that's why the GPU is popular for HPC .

let show you what a small army of low powered chips can do against a single big chip

Code:
Price:

Rendering time

Power consumption

here is the picture the left side is the rendering firm and the right side is the rendering farm
Uhhm, not necessarily. Even if you look up the comments in your provided link, you would see that energy consumption is not much different. About the heating, ... what do you mean by maintenance costs? BTW, using multiple CPUs is only useful when your codes can be run on a multi-thread basis. ;) About the heating, and faults, just simply buy good fans!!! The temperature on a chip is much higher than what you think and it does not cause failure, unless the heat gets accumulated for a long time, and temperature gets very very high. simple solution >> buy big good fans!!!

Code:
Price:

Rendering time

Power consumption

tianhe use the 32000 intel xeon E5-2692 12C plus 48,000 Xeon Phi 31S1P while Titan use 18,688 AMD Opteron 6274 16-core CPUs 18,688 Nvidia Tesla K20X GPUs

power consumption of tianhe-2 is 24 mw.

Hi,

I just finished reading the book THE DIRECTOR by David Ignatius----. The world of Hackers ---- it is shocking as to how vulnerable we all are alongwith the governments.

CJSC "MCST" launched the pilot batch of universal microprocessors Elbrus-8C. Rated operational frequency of chip - 1.3 GHz, manufacturing technology - 28 nm, the computational power 250 gigaflops.
f_czAxOS5yYWRpa2FsLnJ1L2k2MTQvMTQwNi9hYi81OGY1NGYwOThhYTAucG5n.jpeg

Elbrus microprocessor-8C - completely Russian development. Crystal microprocessor designed for 28 nm technology, has 8 cores with improved 64-bit architecture Elbrus third generation, cache level 2 totaling 4 megabytes and third level cache 16 megabytes.
http://www.mcst.ru/novyj-8yadernyj-mikroprocessor-elbrus-8c

Back
Top Bottom