What's new

Russia unveils S-300 SAM replacement

senheiser

Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
Sky Defender: Russia unveils S-300 SAM replacement - YouTube

The first prototype of Russia’s new medium-range air defence system that should replace the S-300 was demonstrated on Wednesday.
The Vityaz system was shown during President Vladimir Putin’s visit to a St. Petersburg plant where it is being manufactured by the Almaz-Antei corporation.
The new air-defence system, which will have more advanced radar and a launcher with 16 missiles, compared with only four on the S-300, should enter service next year, Almaz-Antei chief designer Igor Ashurbeili previously told RIA Novosti.
The Vityaz will complement the Morfey, the S-400 and the S-500 air defence systems in the future aerospace defence network to engage targets at ranges from five to 400 kilometers, and at altitudes from five meters to near space.

S-300 was a very long missile. But Syria has used it previously during the Syrian conflict during May? Think I'm right.

^^
no they don't , they still didn't receive there s-300 yet

RUssia's future SAM defences consist around S-500 for ballistic missile defence,s-400 for very long range air defence,Vityaz for medium range defence and TOR M2/PANTSIR for short range defences,MORPHEY very short range quick reaction SAM for point defence.Morphey is first SAM with omni direction circular cupola i think.

^^

The S-400 uses three different missiles to cover its entire performance envelope. These are the extremely long range 40N6, long range 48N6 and medium range 9M96 missile. Each one has different capabilities.

^^
no they don't , they still didn't receive there s-300 yet

Thanks,

But the planes reaching the no fly zone can effect the benefits of getting locked by the S-300? It's very long range so what are the disadvantages of flanking the S-300?

0_c393d_5358c37d_XXL.jpg

0_c393e_fd5b87e3_XXL.jpg

0_c3942_59e2d041_XXL.jpg

0_c3941_15203d3b_XXL.jpg

I think KRL and NESCOM should join in with EU or Ukraine/China to develop similar system as we are in need of it since a decade or so...

Also I think PN should acquire Three batteries of SPADA-2000 ASAP like PAF/PA has acquired 6 of them and they should acquire at least 5 more of them. So in total they should have ordered or done JV with them to acquire a total of 15 SPADA-2000s... :)

Why replace the S-300?
I think the S-300 is one of the best in the world.
Too bad the system was not used in any conflict.

^^

The S-400 uses three different missiles to cover its entire performance envelope. These are the extremely long range 40N6, long range 48N6 and medium range 9M96 missile. Each one has different capabilities.

Only the 40N6 is unique to S-400. The S-300PMU-1 (Russian С-300ПМУ-1,US DoD designation SA-20A, NATO reporting name SA-20 Gargoyle) was also introduced in 1992 with the new and larger 48N6 missiles for the first time in a land-based system. The S-300PMU-1 was introduced in 1999 and for the first time introduces several different kinds of missiles in a single system. In addition to the 5V55R and 48N6E missiles the S-300PMU-1 can utilise two new missiles, the 9M96E1 and 9M96E2.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-300_(missile)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-400_(SAM)

Why replace the S-300?
I think the S-300 is one of the best in the world.
Too bad the system was not used in any conflict.
It will replace only old S-300 systems. And newer S-300 complexes will be in serve.

Military Forum Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom