What's new

Russia-Ukraine War - News and Developments PART 2

1) NATO can decide to end military and financial support. The Ukrainians can decide at that point what decision they want to make. A negotiated end to the current conflict resulting in a smaller, de-militarized Ukrainian State OR continued war without NATO support.

2) If Ukraine doesn’t want to surrender, then let them keep fighting the Russians the Afghan way, on their own dime. I don’t see Ukraine lasting in a conventional war against Russia without NATO support.
Doubt the Ukrainians would demilitarized themselves to be easily invaded again by Russia especially led by Putin. Not to mention with the technology the Ukrainians have gained from NATO equipment, modern Russian equipment and even the Shahed kamikaze drones provided by Iranians which allowed the Ukrainians to be able to hit deep in Russia which they didn't have before.

@jhungary

With the upcoming winter, I'm betting the Russians will try again to target the Ukrainian power infrastructure to force them to surrender. The Ukrainians should show what happens by hitting Russian power grids and sub stations especially that provides power towards cities of St. Petersburg and Moscow. Plunge them into darkness.

Last edited:
there is v. Little tank on tank action going on .. not sure these rounds are required?
Agree. Plus Ukraine should have received APFSDS ammo for their Leo2s that they can use on Abrams.

To what end?

What actual threat did Russia pose to NATO, prior to the Ukraine war, that justifies the (likely) trillions in global economic costs, hundreds of thousands dead, and the domestic opportunity cost for NATO (US especially)?
I agree with your comments here, especially about the potential threat Russia poses to NATO- i would reword that and say Russia isnt a threat to NATO but instead is a "challenge" to NATO's domination of the world- NATO needs Russia's resources and dismantling so NATO can continue feeding its unsustainable economic growth through capitalism with ease. An independent, strong and united Russia blocks NATO's control of and access to critical resources and Eurasia.

An we all know the only reason Russia can’t pull out of Ukraine is because for Putin,
thats false, because at least 70% of Russians support the SMO and Russian military- if you remove Putin now, Russia will continue the war in Ukraine- the Russian govt, including Putin, support the war efforts there. people who think all Russia does "is because of Putin" = fixated on Putin's personality + lack of understanding of how the modern Russian state works.
this would be an admission of defeat.
US would know lots about that...but wait a minute...
Therefore, we get the endless destruction of the Russian Army until he has no choice but to accept defeat.
did US army give Taliban "endless destruction"? If no, how will it do it to Russia when US and NATO 1) are the ones running out of ammunition and weapons and 2 ) haven't given any adversary in the past century an actual endless destruction - unfortunately US also is low on military momentum and steam these days, especially after it unwisely jumped into this Ukraine conflict with Russia right after the disastrous pullout from Afghanistan- strategy, logic and timing all off!

(1) Mortal Enemy - thats a hangover from the Cold War mindset, and no longer justifiable.

Outside of Ukraine, and prior to the Ukrainian conflict, Russia was increasingly building economic ties with the EU and the rest of the world, especially with regards to provision of natural resources.

So please explain exactly what kind of threat Russia posed to be declared a ‘mortal enemy’ of the US.

(2) Somebody else’s lives lost - something you and I will never agree upon. I find that position morally repugnant and reminiscent of cruel empires and warlords. I’m sure you and others will justify it as ‘real politik’, but what you’re justifying at a global level is essentially the brutality of tribes and warlords of our past.
Russia did not/was not capable of an overt military threat. That said, they certainly were interfering with various means: cyberattacks traced to Russia, attacking dissidents, and manipulation of electoral systems via social media. You don’t have to believe these, but if the Governments believed that this sort of interference was not acceptable and was going to increase (because of Putin’s insecurity), then Russia had to be countered. And this gave that once in a million chance.

Russia will come back from this more backward country , unfortunately for the Russian population EVEN if keeps the land it acquired.

Putin would have to have been a NATO intelligence agent to have put Russia through this. Thats how he will be judged.

Their choice to keep fighting then - they should do it on their own dime.
LOL! Even during the American Revolution the colonists didn't fight just on their own dime with help from France to Spain and so on. Same for the Afghans during the Soviet-Afghan war. Or even during the Vietnam war when the Russians supported the North Vietnamese heavily even provided fighter jets.

Doubt the Ukrainians would demilitarized themselves to be easily invaded again by Russia especially led by Putin. Not to mention with the technology the Ukrainians have gained from NATO equipment, modern Russian equipment and even the Shahed kamikaze drones provided by Iranians which allowed the Ukrainians to be able to hit deep in Russia which they didn't have before.

@jhungary

With the upcoming winter, I'm betting the Russians will try again to target the Ukrainian power infrastructure to force them to surrender. The Ukrainians should show what happens by hitting Russian power grids and sub stations especially that provides power towards cities of St. Petersburg and Moscow. Plunge them into darkness.
I very much doubt it. Because unlike last year. Ukraine air defence had improved a lot, also improved a lot is their ability to rage war in Russia. Ukraine may launch retaliate strike on Russia in the scale of the drone strike they have last week

Russia would have to balance whether they want to make progress in Ukraine or risking bringing a tic-for -tac war in Russia. War is not going well in the frontline and it could spell disaster for Russia if they were attacked inside.

On the other hand, Russia would need to deal with Ukrainian long range artillery in Zaporizhya, otherwise the Ukrainian may pull another Kherson out of the Russian, so if I were the Russian overall commander, I would probably try to hit Ukrainian artillery with whatever Lancet and Shahed drone I have.

Their choice to keep fighting then - they should do it on their own dime.
Precedence of not letting friends of the moment not fight on their own dime was set in the 20th century. USSR was also not allowed to fight on its own dime in WWII with material and supplies coming to all countries resisting Germany in WWII from the US. Its an inherent desire so it continues.

I agree with your comments here, especially about the potential threat Russia poses to NATO- i would reword that and say Russia isnt a threat to NATO but instead is a "challenge" to NATO's domination of the world- NATO needs Russia's resources and dismantling so NATO can continue feeding its unsustainable economic growth through capitalism with ease. An independent, strong and united Russia blocks NATO's control of and access to critical resources and Eurasia.

thats false, because at least 70% of Russians support the SMO and Russian military- if you remove Putin now, Russia will continue the war in Ukraine- the Russian govt, including Putin, support the war efforts there. people who think all Russia does "is because of Putin" = fixated on Putin's personality + lack of understanding of how the modern Russian state works.

US would know lots about that...but wait a minute...

did US army give Taliban "endless destruction"? If no, how will it do it to Russia when US and NATO 1) are the ones running out of ammunition and weapons and 2 ) haven't given any adversary in the past century an actual endless destruction - unfortunately US also is low on military momentum and steam these days, especially after it unwisely jumped into this Ukraine conflict with Russia right after the disastrous pullout from Afghanistan- strategy, logic and timing all off!
You live in a dreamworld: nobody is running out of ammunition: just a more diverse set of ammunition is being used that is being used for deep strike (500miles inland) at a scale (by Ukraine standards) not being done before.

And this is not the 20th century where battle is settled with artillery shells. More important than is signal intelligence and targeting information. That is what NATO sensors are providing and every day. Its how Ukraine knows where to target its HIMARS, and its long range drones to know there are unprotected transport aircraft.

Till then you can keep your hopes up that artillery shells will finish.

May be you should be reminded of the instance when in April 2018 US struck Syrian military facilities and knocked out several facilities as a punitive move. This was under the so-called Russian protective umbrella that wasn't able to do crap to help the Syrians against US air strike then, and doesn't offer any protection against Israeli's repeated incursions and air strikes. And you are happy about a few worthless wells being blown when US is the world's largest oil producer (and consumer as well)

Last edited:
LOL! Even during the American Revolution the colonists didn't fight just on their own dime with help from France to Spain and so on. Same for the Afghans during the Soviet-Afghan war. Or even during the Vietnam war when the Russians supported the North Vietnamese heavily even provided fighter jets.
How does any of that justify spending taxpayer money on this particular senseless and endless war that looks like another money and body pit with a quarter million casualties already and increasing global economic impact?

Precedence of not letting friends of the moment not fight on their own dime was set in the 20th century. USSR was also not allowed to fight on its own dime in WWII with material and supplies coming to all countries resisting Germany in WWII from the US. Its an inherent desire so it continues.
The Ukrainian conflict was never going to be a world war and ‘precedents’ can be changed.

Not one single individual has been able to provide a cogent reason for NATO escalating and continuing this war, in terms of a tangible Russian threat to NATO, either before or even now.

Some of you, like @jhungary and @dbc have been honest - this war isn’t about democracy, freedom or ‘friends’, its about war-mongers finding an opportunity to bleed a geo-political competitor with another country’s blood, consequences be damned.

You guys want the US to keep funding this senseless war, that is your choice, as is mine to oppose it, but at least be honest about what the war is about.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom