What's new

Russia, Egypt ink $2 billion arms deal

Falcon29

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Palestinian Territory, Occupied
Russia, Egypt ink $2 billion arms deal – media - News - Economy - The Voice of Russia: News, Breaking news, Politics, Economics, Business, Russia, International current events, Expert opinion, podcasts, Video

Egypt has reportedly struck a deal with Russia to buy $2 billion worth of military equipment. This is according to the Egypt Independentwho has cited a senior official in Cairo. Saudi Arabia and the UAE have agreed to pay the price on Egypt’s behalf.

According to the source, Moscow and Cairo spent the past few weeks thrashing out the new arms deal, which was first tabled in November 2013 when Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov and Defense Minister Sergey Shoigu came to Cairo on an official visit.

The first batch of cutting-edge Russian weapons will be delivered by the mid-2014. The money will be paid in installments, the paper said.

@Frogman @Mahmoud_EGY .....any idea what weapons these will be?

Russia, Egypt ink $2 billion arms deal – media - News - Economy - The Voice of Russia: News, Breaking news, Politics, Economics, Business, Russia, International current events, Expert opinion, podcasts, Video

Egypt has reportedly struck a deal with Russia to buy $2 billion worth of military equipment. This is according to the Egypt Independentwho has cited a senior official in Cairo. Saudi Arabia and the UAE have agreed to pay the price on Egypt’s behalf.

According to the source, Moscow and Cairo spent the past few weeks thrashing out the new arms deal, which was first tabled in November 2013 when Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov and Defense Minister Sergey Shoigu came to Cairo on an official visit.

The first batch of cutting-edge Russian weapons will be delivered by the mid-2014. The money will be paid in installments, the paper said.

@Frogman @Mahmoud_EGY .....any idea what weapons these will be?

Only rumors so far, nothing concrete, as usual when dealing with the Russians. This is reportedly the first of a series of deals. This is what will reportedly be delivered from April 2014:

Buk-M2, Egypt already has the Buk-M1-2.
Tor-M2, Egypt already has the Tor-M1.
Kornet-E, Egypt has a limited number which it bought from Bulgaria 2007.
Igla-S, Egypt already has the Igla-18.

Only rumors so far, nothing concrete, as usual when dealing with the Russians. This is reportedly the first of a series of deals. This is what will reportedly be delivered from April 2014:

No MiGs or SUs?

Negotiations for a second deal which will reportedly include 24 Mig-29M2/Mig-35s, Mi-17V5s, BMP-3s and unspecified weapons systems for the Air Defence and Navy are ongoing.

Egypt should buy MiG-35s. We got your backs :coffee:

Negotiations for a second deal which will reportedly include 24 Mig-29M2/Mig-35s, Mi-17V5s, BMP-3s and unspecified weapons systems for the Air Defence and Navy are ongoing.
i was hoping for su 35 but it is ok mig 29 would be great

Egypt should buy MiG-35s. We got your backs :coffee:

:lol:

I believe the problem with the Mig-35 is that its AESA radar isn't mature enough yet, if any one can correct me on that there would be no problem. The Mig-29M2 is exactly the same as the Mig-35 but without the AESA radar, although if needed in the future the radar on the Mig-29M2 can be replaced incredibly easily.

i was hoping for su 35 but it is ok mig 29 would be great

The Su-35 just isn't ready for export.

Last edited:

That's interesting they would get Kornet-E, I like that idea obviously it's for use against modern armor. They need to modernize their anti tank arsenal somewhat. I hope the Igla-S is a more modern version that can be more effective.

As for the other two, could you tell me what they are? Military APC's? Helicopters?

:lol:

I believe the problem with the Mig-35 is that its AESA radar isn't mature enough yet, if any one can correct me on that there would be no problem. The MIG-29M2 is exactly the same as the Mig-35 but without the AESA radar, although if needed in the future the radar on the Mig-29M2 can be replaced incredibly easily.

The Su-35 just isn't ready for export.

Bah. Would the Su-35 do once it is ready to export?

That's interesting they would get Kornet-E, I like that idea obviously it's for use against modern armor. They need to modernize their anti tank arsenal somewhat. I hope the Igla-S is a more modern version that can be more effective.

As for the other two, could you tell me what they are? Military APC's? Helicopters?

Surface to air missiles.

Tor missile system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Buk missile system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bah. Would the Su-35 do once it is ready to export?

It would be an incredible addition to the EAF.

Okay I see, so air defense and ground warfare defense weapons...exactly what Egypt needed to modernize.

Our air defence was/is already excellent, this improves on an already excellent base. The Kornets were needed in larger numbers though, I believe.

Now they should work on F16 upgrades IMO....

The priority right now is replacing all third and 3+ generation aircraft, only then do I see us modernising our Block 40 F16s to Block 52+ standards, for now I believe delivery of new F-16s will suffice.

Our air defence was/is already excellent, this improves on an already excellent base. The Kornets were needed in larger numbers though, I believe.

I never knew Egypt uses Kornets...and I remember on my way to Cairo from the Sinai I saw many air defense systems in the desert including older large artillery placed in several locations around the desert where there isn't any population. Should've taken photos but I believe some were used in the 73 war.

The priority right now is replacing all third and 3+ generation aircraft, only then do I see us modernising our Block 40 F16s to Block 52+ standards, for now I believe delivery of new F-16s will suffice.

This is good, I think they should upgrade radar and missile capabilities.

I never knew Egypt uses Kornets

In small numbers, issued to anti-tank Special Forces. Bought off the Bulgarians in 2007.

and I remember on my way to Cairo from the Sinai I saw many air defense systems in the desert including older large artillery placed in several locations around the desert where there isn't any population. Should've taken photos but I believe some were used in the 73 war.

You see a lot of antiquated stuff on the roads leading too and from the Sinai or the north coast even, once I saw a cannon that was used under Mohammed Ali Pasha :lol:

This is good, I think they should upgrade radar and missile capabilities.

The radars are alright, the same as all other F-16s around the world, of the same block. I believe we need modern BVR AMRAAM such as the AIM-120 on our F-16s, some sources say that we have an alternative but I think its BS although they usually are a reliable source.

In small numbers, issued to anti-tank Special Forces. Bought off the Bulgarians in 2007.

That's great, I think they should increase quantity too, because now Gaza is catching up. :D :)

You see a lot of antiquated stuff on the roads leading too and from the Sinai or the north coast even, once I saw a cannon that was used under Mohammed Ali Pasha :lol:

LOL! Why did I say artillery, I meant cannons. They were very interesting and all over the Sinai I've seen M1A1's near Al Arish and military vehicles with mounted m-240b machine guns.

The radars are alright, the same as all other F-16s around the world, of the same block. I believe we need modern BVR AMRAAM such as the AIM-120 on our F-16s, some sources say that we have an alternative but I think its BS although they usually are a reliable source.

Yeah you do need them but I heard US won't allow integration...I'm not sure but there should be more freedom for all those systems for the EAF....

Back
Top Bottom