What's new

Russia & China Gas Deal : Impact on India

npm

New Recruit

Reaction score
Country
India
As most of you know Russia & China have signed a bilateral gas deal which is estimated to be worth over $400bn (BBC news article). The supply is expected to commence from 2018 onwards. By any means of imagination this is a very big deal and can tilt Russia's interest towards China.

With its huge population base China has the same consuming power as India. With this new business development I suspect China will sooner or later bring up the defense contracts too into the equation and Russia will happen to agree. May be because of this new trade Russia may for the first time choose to stay neutral or not support India in case of escalating tension between India and any other country.

Well, that's my analysis at the moment. However I would like to get your opinion on this. Do you think this deal will make Russia think differently regarding India in future? If so which country do we look towards to to neutralize this threat. Also I believe this should be a warning bell to the defense sector to invest more in indigenous home grown technology as Russia may start selling advance weapons to China (or is it too quick to assume so)

Play nice please, just a discussion. Don't offend anyone

~NPM

Russia itself is feeling threatened by the rise of China.How long before China declares that since Russian far east belonged to some obscure Chinese dynasty in the past, it should be returned to China.
Already China is sending settlers by the droves into Siberia and far east.

Russia would be prudent to keep India as a counterweight to check Chinese influence.

So, in my opinion, Russia can not afford to alienate India at the behest of China.

Do you see Putin in India right now, signing deals of the century?

No, he is doing that in China.

As I said try harder.
I am not going to explain myself if you are unable to understand.
Ask a friend if you are having problems with English.
This is my last reply to your irrelevant point :-)

Apparently Russia does not agree with you.

Look at where Putin is now. :D
Apparently, comprehension isn't one of your stronger suits.
Try harder.

He is PDF think tank!!
He got this position for thniking not for putting thinking head in tank .... also not that we cannot be too sure if he had some sort of deal with PDF management (Chinese are known to cut very favorable deals by hook or crook) :sarcastic:

ON topic, Russia has maintained a good balance and managed their relations very well with India and China. They are not position to ignore either and will not ignore India or China.

If I play devils advocate this might be the tool to make China dependent and blackmail in long run :devil:

Well, it'll be making a fool of ourselves if we do not accept China now has the upper hand over India in terms of cooperation with Russia. Just looking at the magnitude of deals being signed around will enlighten us.

And this is why we need Uncle Sam.

Well, it'll be making a fool of ourselves if we do not accept China now has the upper hand over India in terms of cooperation with Russia. Just looking at the magnitude of deals being signed around will enlighten us.

Not just 'murica but Japan, EU et al.

Too bad for China it will never get to enjoy the kind of hegemony US enjoyed in the latter half of last century.
After all China itself has stated it wants a multi-polar world.:D

Be careful what you wish for :lol:

Not just 'murica but Japan, EU et al.

They'll follow suit once Uncle Sam is aboard.

We do need to revamp the diplomatic relationship with US, just as long as we are not 'another' US military base, which is, fortunately, unlikely.

As I said try harder.
I am not going to explain myself if you are unable to understand.
Ask a friend if you are having problems with English.
This is my last reply to your irrelevant point :-)

Or maybe you're unable to explain because you realize that you have no argument to make. :lol:

As your fellow Indian mentioned:

Russia can't depend on India to take a strong stand against America.

Look at the UN Syria resolution for instance. NATO warned both Russia and China not to veto the resolution.

What was the result? Both Russia and China vetoed the Syria resolution.

What did India do? They flipped and joined America in supporting the resolution.

Or maybe you're unable to explain because you realize that you have no argument to make. :lol:

As your fellow Indian mentioned:

Russia can't depend on India to take a strong stand against America.

Look at the UN Syria resolution for instance. NATO warned both Russia and China not to veto the resolution.

What was the result? Both Russia and China vetoed the Syria resolution.

What did India do? They flipped and joined America in supporting the resolution.

There is no use banging my head against a wall but since I am trying to stay awake I will humour you.
I said Russia will not alienate India at the behest of China.
Let me qualify this statement to Russia will not alienate India at any cost.
Geo politics are not black and white like you think Mr. Think Tank.

Russia can't depend on India to take a strong stand against America..

And neither can we depend on Russia to take any responsibility of de-escalation of any crisis between India and China, despite it being a close ally of both the nations. But it very well might, if US is involved, which is why we will not take a strong stand against US, or rather any nation.

This is diplomacy, we need to keep our options wide open.

And just to correct you, we didn't support the Syrian resolution. We, as always, abstained from voting, which is far from supporting it.

Last edited:
What's there to worry about? Just sign a gas deal with Russia, build the pipelines, pump gas - problem solved. There's no need to take sides, a biz deal is a biz deal.

There is no use banging my head against a wall but since I am trying to stay awake I will humour you.
I said Russia will not alienate India at the behest of China.
Let me qualify this statement to Russia will not alienate India at any cost.
Geo politics are not black and white like you think Mr. Think Tank.

So I guess Russia selling weapons to your enemies, including engines for Pakistan's JF-17 and Su-35 to China, is not against India's interests at all?

Will India take a strong stand against America, in support of Russia? Like when we ignored the warnings of NATO not to veto the Syria resolution, and vetoed it anyway?

India does not even have veto, yet you didn't back Russia on that UN vote.

Back
Top Bottom