What's new

Rumors: Pakistan to acquire five C-130J Super Hercules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope that your news comes out to be true but the only thing I've confirmed is that our airforce showed interest in Belgian C.130H's and is genuinely after them,regarding C.130J both new and used there is no such plan presently.
Yes there have been multiple Herc flights to the US lately.

All this is from someone whose an aircraft commander on the Herc and was in the US last month.
Once again hope that you're true and they get the new birds.

C-130 B model production ended in 1963. It is therefore understandable that PAF needs to replace her 60 years old C-130B fleet. A new C-130J will set you back at least $60-milion per unit or more depending upon buyer options.

A relation thru marriage whom I met in Calgary last year; ex-employee of a company dealing in used commercial & transport; had informed me that a decent refurbished H model Hercules could be had for $10 to $14-million per unit. I am therefore surprised that ‘Cash strapped’ PAF is planning to spend at least $300-million for 5 C-130J. One would have thought that PAF would instead opt for the same number of refurbished H-model Hercs for about $70-million in total. The rest could be spent on much-needed upgrading of fighter fleet or for improving electronic warfare capabilities.

Sorry, but I would only believe this rumor when I see a C-130J model in PAF livery.

Which model of130 has bad name for clipping its main wings during in flight E or H??

A model of C-130 have that issue and it was upgraded to next model level to rectify it, several US crew have died during operations due to wing clipping out.

it seems as it was bonding that failed as both wings produced access lift and sheared off.

A model of C-130 have that issue and it was upgraded to next model level to rectify it, several US crew have died during operations due to wing clipping out.

These were early model C130As with over 50 years of service doing heavy stress firefighting.

I believe there have been 2 such incidents out of thousands built and operated for over 60 years.

I think that had something to do with releasing the full load in a very short time and resulting stresses breaking the wings

I think that had something to do with releasing the full load in a very short time and resulting stresses breaking the wings
Ahhan but that will not lead to a catastrophic failure-------Air craft wings are very very very strong. Larger transport category air craft wings are designed to with-stand 150 x Greater stress than it will face during regular flight.

NOT GOING INTO

If the wing was to fail from stress and in the occasion the wings broke then the breaking will happen some where in the middle of the wing. Most likely stress will cause a nice crease in the aero-foil (skin of the air craft).

What happened with this OLD C-130A was that it was doing a youngsters job------The air crafts Wing box (where the Wing spars will connect to the Fuselage) In the 70's All C-130 wing boxes were to be upgraded as there was a design flaw-----If the older C-130 were not properly loaded or the load moved during flight that would cause stress on the fuselage affecting the Rivet hole in the Wing box and would develop cracks and over time crack would become bigger. This C-130 most probably was not upgraded to H stranded wing box and was closer to it;s 15000 hour limit on the overhaul for the wing box. As we know fire fighting is a highly stress full type of flying, flying in dense turbulent air will obviously induce more stress on the air frame.

The fire deterrent is stored in tanks and the load in the tanks shift quite a bit.

The cracks lengthened over time and the connected wing freed it self from the wing box where immediately after the wing spars broke which is evident when the wing lifted upwards.

Looks like Khafee was right, no?
Can't divulge much about him but Khafee is a high ranking official posted at a very critical post where he easily monitors what defence deals and procurement are taking place around the world.

Khafee was probably the highest ranking military official posting on PDF, including both serving and retired.

I broke this news long time ago , so did @Khafee Some more good thing are under consideration
Tum to chorr hi do :-) mera moun mat khulwayo :p:

Thanks to the "two front" scenario for India, it's now like "Everybody loves Pak"....

Yep, i think you have something there. India cannot take on China right now, and she mostly certainly cannot take on China and Pakistan.

Everyone is trying to buy time for India, so that they can back off.

Once this is over, India will go on the "mother of all" arms buying sprees, you watch..

Whether PAF gets the J or not is moot... but a DSCA notification on new zealand getting exactly 5 C-130Js is out - coincidence on the number I guess.
Oh please don't tell me that the equipment meant for us is now being given to someone else! Or is New zealand the new Jordan now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom