What's new

Rs 50k-cr naval project gets Cabinet nod( Shivalik follow on class)

Nothing is stopping the IN but there is a destroyer class above the P-17/A i.e. the P-15s, just because the P-17/A Frigates are multirole and exceptionally large by global standards doesn't mean the IN needs to change their designation policy. They set the classes and the capabilities the ships are then designed to that, it is not the other way around.
So its not just about "looking weak" to our adversaries. Thankyou.

So its not just about "looking weak" to our adversaries. Thankyou.
No not at all, this is something that many have levied against the IN but it is nothing to do with understating their capabilities it is just how things have worked out. That many of the IN's surface vessels' capabilities are grossly understated by their designations is ,if anything, a happy consequence.

I am disappointed that there is no news of them carrying Nirbhay cruise missile :( along with Brahmos.

I suspect it will carry a total of 50 VLS in the follow combo,

1. 8 Brahmos-2 and 42 Barak 1/Barak 8 or

2. 16 Brahmos-2 and 34 barak-8.

I am disappointed that there is no news of them carrying Nirbhay cruise missile :( along with Brahmos.

I suspect it will carry a total of 50 VLS in the follow combo,

1. 8 Brahmos-2 and 42 Barak 1/Barak 8 or

2. 16 Brahmos-2 and 34 barak-8.
They aren't going to be mentioning the weapons fitment at this stage, first deliveries are SEVEN years away! The Nirbhay will be onboard for sure by that time.

I thought Shivalik class of ships are made in Russia but for an indigenous, made in India ship this price is okay as most of the money will remain in the country.
You might be confusing it with Krivak III class dubbed talwar class in IN

Then why shouldn't call it a Destroyer? What is stopping us to call it a destroyer or does it serve us any purpose understating it's capability?
It depends on the guidelines for your navy, Like there are some navies that would pock up a corvette and call it a frigate, Shivalik by far has enough capabilities to be compared to a destroyer with it's 32 VLS SAM and 8 Cell Anti Shipping missiles along with it's capability to support a maritime Heli.

The reason it is not classified as a destroyer is due to it's role and Navy's standards. Different navies had different standards around the world, you can see frigates ranging from 2000 tons to 7K tons, and Destroyers ranging from 4k tons to 12K tons.

First delivery in 7 years?? Guess its a good thing that we have 2 docks working on this project simultaneously - effectively making it 3.5 years per ship - not that bad.

First delivery in 7 years?? Guess its a good thing that we have 2 docks working on this project simultaneously - effectively making it 3.5 years per ship - not that bad.
But 60 months is too much time!!They should be able to churn them up withingin 48 months after the order is placed.

Look at the Indian Navy sticky thread and see what @Penguin has said- 60 months for a vessel of this size and complexity is pretty impressive by global standards.

They aren't going to be mentioning the weapons fitment at this stage, first deliveries are SEVEN years away! The Nirbhay will be onboard for sure by that time.

I am not sure about Nirbhay.

Brahmos gives a range of 800+ km in hi-hi mode which can be used to strike land. Similar to Nirbhay with 1000 km range but 4 time as fast.

I hope Brahmos can be configured for the Mode of attack depending on the requirement. Low-Low for Ships, Hi-Hi for land.

They can mention the number of VLS it will have, 40 or 50.

I am not sure about Nirbhay.

Brahmos gives a range of 800+ km in hi-hi mode which can be used to strike land. Similar to Nirbhay with 1000 km range but 4 time as fast.

I hope Brahmos can be configured for the Mode of attack depending on the requirement. Low-Low for Ships, Hi-Hi for land.

They can mention the number of VLS it will have, 40 or 50.

Are you sure bro??Because I heard it was around 600 km in hi-hi.

I love the Talwar Class frigates, we should place a follow up order for another 6 of the class from Russia, updated of course and incorporating more advanced stealth features. I mean look at the beauty! I know that it goes against the 'Make in India' mantra but we need more numbers as well considering how the Chinese are rolling out modern frigates and destroyers like bread rolls at a bakery!

INS_Talwar.jpg

Good thing is that 7 of these ships will be built by 2 shipyards which means 2 of them will be ready at the same time i.e ~2022 and onwards. Seems all will be inducted by 2025-2026.

I love the Talwar Class frigates, we should place a follow up order for another 6 of the class from Russia, updated of course and incorporating more advanced stealth features. I mean look at the beauty! I know that it goes against the 'Make in India' mantra but we need more numbers as well considering how the Chinese are rolling out modern frigates and destroyers like bread rolls at a bakery!

View attachment 194595
The Talwar class is okay, compared to the P-17s they look rather dated though, forget about comparing them with the P-17As:

oy86.jpg

The Talwar class is okay, compared to the P-17s they look rather dated though, forget about comparing them with the P-17As:

oy86.jpg
Is that design of P-17A? I think thats an artistic design of P-15B destroyer.

Back
Top Bottom