What's new

Royal Navy Officially Inducts Third Astute Class Nuclear Powered Submarine HMS Artful.

mike2000 is back

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
artfulhandover1.jpg

2015-12-15 12:01
HMS Artful Formally Handed Over To Royal Navy

The third of the new Astute Class attack submarines, Artful, has officially been handed over to the Royal Navy.

Until now the submarine was owned by Defence Equipment and Support, the MOD’s body responsible for procuring and supporting equipment for the armed forces.

The boat and her crew will now be added to the Royal Navy Fleet alongside the Navy’s other units.
artfulhandover3.jpg

HMS Artful Formally Handed Over To Royal Navy

Defence Minister Philip Dunne said:

“The handover of Artful to the Royal Navy is another major step in the Astute Class submarine programme, which continues to gather pace."
"These attack submarines, will provide the Royal Navy with the most technologically advanced submarine Britain has ever sent to sea and will be a vital part of UK security for decades to come."
“They are being funded by our growing Defence budget and our £178 billion investment in equipment, which is delivering the very best possible kit to our Armed Forces.”

More From Forces TV: The Future's Bright, The Future's Graphene - Military Uses Of Miracle Material

Following her hand over on Thursday 10th December, the next milestone for the boat will be an official commissioning ceremony in March 2016, where her Sponsor, Lady Amanda Zambellas, will formally welcome Artful into the fleet at a ceremony in the home of the UK Submarine Service, HM Naval Base Clyde.

Lady Zambellas said:
“This is a really important milestone in the life of Artful as she takes her place in the Fleet under the White Ensign. I am extremely proud of my association with the submarine and look forward to her commissioning next year when I will also meet the Ship’s Company that will take her on operations around the world.”

Since her arrival on the Clyde in August, Artful has continued her programme of Contractor Sea Trials. Most recently Rear Admiral Submarines John Weale became the first officer to be officially piped onboard the Royal Navy's newest warship, and there was a change of command from Captain Scott Bower to Commander Stuart Armstrong.

artfulhandover2_0.jpg

"I very much welcome Artful’s firepower, state of the art communications equipment and advanced stealth technologies into the fleet,” said Rear Admiral John Weale, head of the UK Submarine Service.

Artful is one of seven Astute class submarines being built for the Royal Navy by BAE Systems Marine Services in Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, which are progressively replacing the Trafalgar Class submarines.

HMS Astute, HMS Ambush, and now Artful, are the first of the Class to be accepted by Navy Command, which is responsible for operating all of the Royal Navy’s vessels.

HMS Artful Formally Handed Over To Royal Navy | Forces TV

@Blue Marlin , @Steve781 , @James Jaevid ,@Nihonjin1051

4 more are still under construction.:cheers:

I really like the Design of this Sub ..
anyone can post more Pics ?
and Post the details please .. specially its Cost .

Congratulations to UK .:cheers:

Sweet Jesus , what aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Sub ...
The best Design i have seen so far .. Damn i am love with this sub :D

LOL Her upcoming sisters will be even more advanced, since we are learning more and making improvements while building others.
96ec54b533fdb7540ab9502b10325b01.jpg

960bd927427569fea2c19a4b3bc2d7a6.jpg

13a5b1f1a5900be43368a4a096b37e6e.jpg

433ad532778ab63ae99312caea2bd232.jpg

Dont also forget our trafalgar class nuclear subs(though they were built 3 decades ago) they are still very much powerful/potent/advanced.

Royal Navy Trafalgar Class Submarines HMS Turbulent & HMS Talent.
85b91937d6adb1ae34abe2203cbca7b9.jpg

Royal Navy submarine HMS Talent conducts surfacing drills in the Kyle of Lochalsh, Scotland in December 2009:smokin:
f7eb09af2f912319517851a96daf1f6b.jpg

Nuclear Submarine HMS Vanguard Returns to HMNB Clyde, Scotland by FrigateRN

6a2eca000d51dafa945139c295ebe01f.jpg

HMS Vengeance returning to HMNB Clyde
b86fcc8345cb07e9882583b616f24390.jpg

Trafalgar Class HMS Victorious conducting patrols in Indian Ocean 2013

Maybe we could sell them to Pakistan since we are decommissioning them a decades from now. I know we are very strict with our equipment, since other countries keep their warships/equipment far longer than we do. But then again our leaders got 'high standards' i guess.:(

Last edited:
Arrrrgh!!!! %£^&"*^&%"£&^*&!"!!!!!! another Navy thread and worst of all, its Brit!!!! Do I need to remind you guys that ships, jets and what have you look good in the headlines but it is the "INFANTRY" at the end of the day who wins the war? Nice to see you again @mike2000 is back !!!! See yah around buddy!

uk-emoji-2-gif.279890
uk-emoji-2-gif.279890
uk-emoji-2-gif.279890
uk-emoji-2-gif.279890
uk-emoji-2-gif.279890
:usflag::usflag::usflag::usflag::usflag:

Post the details please .. specially its Cost .
Sorry forgot to post specs and cost for you.

General characteristics

Class & type: Nuclear-powered attack submarines

Displacement: 7,000 tonnes, surfaced
7,400 tonnes, submerged.

Length: 97 m (318 ft)
Beam: 11.3 m (37 ft)
Draught: 10 m (33 ft)

Propulsion: Rolls-Royce PWR 2 reactor, MTU 600 kilowatt diesel generators

Speed: Up to 30 knots (56 km/h), submerged

Range: Only limited by food and maintenance requirements.

Test depth: Over 300 m
Complement: 98 (capacity for 109)
Sensors and
processing systems: Thales Sonar 2076
Atlas DESO 25 echosounder
2 × Thales CM010 optronic masts
Raytheon Successor IFF

Armament: 6 × 21-inch (533 mm) torpedo tubes with stowage for up to 38 weapons:
Tomahawk Block IV land-attack missiles
Spearfish heavyweight torpedoes

Additionally, its said that morr than 39,000 acoustic tiles mask the vessel's sonar signature, giving the Astute class a better stealth quality than any other submarine previously operated by the Royal navy and that by using advanced stealth technology Astute makes less noise than a baby dolphin, making her as good as undetectable by enemy ships.:)

Cost : £1,160M each (boats 1-3), £747M each (boats 4-6).

Wish we could built 10 instead of 7, since the cost has been going down as we build more due to economies of scale/experience . As always our leaders think otherwise though..:(

Surely not the best option out there.

lol Maybe India can buy them then. Its still more advanced than any submarine India has at present and has unlimited range,with proven records/war experience/patrols across the four corners of the globe.
We will be better off selling them anyway, instead of destroying them(like we unfortunately did with our Nimrods)/letting them rot/stay idle. :partay:

lol Maybe India can buy them then.

We are more interested in HMS Ocean sir , which too seems will suffer from the British tradition of short service.Actually getting west involved in strategic projects(like SSNs, that's why you see no decision on French Baracuda offer) still gets our decision makers shaky, plus as it will be nuke...so virtually England would be having a big say on its use. Unlike what Russians do.

By the way if.... we get the blueprints... you get a lot of dollars and we buy one or two . But now with Akula and Kilo the SSBN project seems not happening for others. But French are banking on their Baracuda for helping India ( basically selling the design, yet not giving a TOT) for the 6 SSN project.

Back
Top Bottom