What's new

Roman Empire vs Han Empire

@MarkusS nope. Get over yourself. Rome influenced China 0%, Chinese exports imploded Rome's economy and China swept the Huns away only for them to crush Rome like a maggot. If Romans spent more money on defenses and not orgies and useless monuments there still might be a Roman Empire today. Without Ancient Chinese technology, there would be no "Western" technology. There would be no West. No Western history. You'd be plowing a field somewhere by hand, living in rags, subsisting on miserable rations, relieving yourselves in the bushes like an animal while your master beat you and raped your sister - locked in this sad, primitive state for eternity.

The connection between Ancient Rome and the Modern West is a myth invented my insecure Europeans who knew they have no real history aside from copying and stealing from superior cultures such as Arabia, Egypt, India, China, etc. China and Chinese run almost autonomously with only Confucian teachings - domestically, overseas, under authoritarianism or anarchy. Communism was just a brief episode that evolved once again into a more or less typical Chinese state.

Indeed, current western power is all thanks to anglo-saxon civilization which borrowed from estern civilizations.

Indeed, current western power is all thanks to anglo-saxon civilization which borrowed from estern civilizations.

Anglo Saxons, like the rest of the barbarians borrowed from the Meds/Gerco-Roman civ, and also has Middle Eastern influence with Christianity.

Anglo Saxons, like the rest of the barbarians borrowed from the Meds/Gerco-Roman civ, and also has Middle Eastern influence with Christianity.

Absolutely. After the Western Roman Empire Collapsed, the one civilization that retained the culture of Rome , her military and political strategem was the Holy Roman Empire of Charlemagne. From this, would influence modern day France and Germany. From these would influence Present day Brittania through the Saxons (Germanics), then later by the Normans (French).

A cycle. If ever there was one.

one of the best infantry units in history
praetorianshields_zps9f804c56.jpg

Absolutely. After the Western Roman Empire Collapsed, the one civilization that retained the culture of Rome , her military and political strategem was the Holy Roman Empire of Charlemagne. From this, would influence modern day France and Germany. From these would influence Present day Brittania through the Saxons (Germanics), then later by the Normans (French).

A cycle. If ever there was one.

Even without the Germanic Western Roman Empire, elites in Britain, France, etc. were already Romanized.

China got westernized. Communism itself is a german invention (Karl Marx). China bases its current society completly on western values, business methods and technology. China exists as our cheap market place. Beside that...China never achieved the technological level of rome...and also not the military one. It is also strange that rome did influence China...But china had zero impact on rome.

compass and stern mounted rudder exist in europe since 4000 years. Way before china even existed. Beside that Europa had understanding about the celestial movements, orbits and so on. China never had an Aristoteles. There is a reason why chinese history is completly ignored in the world.

Very true, just because it became the evil twin brother, doesnt mean it's any less western.

@MarkusS nope. Get over yourself. Rome influenced China 0%, Chinese exports imploded Rome's economy and China swept the Huns away only for them to crush Rome like a maggot. If Romans spent more money on defenses and not orgies and useless monuments there still might be a Roman Empire today. Without Ancient Chinese technology, there would be no "Western" technology. There would be no West. No Western history. You'd be plowing a field somewhere by hand, living in rags, subsisting on miserable rations, relieving yourselves in the bushes like an animal while your master beat you and raped your sister - locked in this sad, primitive state for eternity.

The connection between Ancient Rome and the Modern West is a myth invented my insecure Europeans who knew they have no real history aside from copying and stealing from superior cultures such as Arabia, Egypt, India, China, etc. China and Chinese run almost autonomously with only Confucian teachings - domestically, overseas, under authoritarianism or anarchy. Communism was just a brief episode that evolved once again into a more or less typical Chinese state.

lol,you guys did not even have running cold snd hot water and lived in mud houses. I take the rst of your nonsense as the typical nazi bla bla. Now go back in the sweatshop and make some cheap t shirts

lol,you guys did not even have running cold snd hot water and lived in mud houses. I take the rst of your nonsense as the typical nazi bla bla. Now go back in the sweatshop and make some cheap t shirts

Go back to driving cruise ships to pay off your eternal and mounting debts. China certainly had running water where they needed it unless you think agriculture can work in deserts (which much of China is) without human intervention. Most Romans lived in dung-filled huts with only the very richest living in expensive homes.

The prosperity and military of ancient Han dynasty is more incredible than modern man thought . to be honest, our recent times chinese very admire our ancestors and their great achivements is worthy for contemporary chinese to learn and pride .
Today china's achivements is inferior to ancient's,but we have taken it as an example like Han dynasty(漢朝) or Tang dynasty(唐朝)and make china become better in future.

@MarkusS ,

Objectively speaking and in regards to historical reality, even before the rise of the Gold Period of the Hellenic World, which predates the era of Pax Romana, China was already in its Glory. Even before the Han Dynasty existed, there already was the Qin Dynasty, before that was the Zhàn Guó Shidai (Chinese Warrior States period) and this was 2 centuries long. Before this period was the Xia Dynasty (which was founded in 2070 B.C). And theirs has been a continuous civilization from Xia to Qing, to present.

Legend states that the city of Rome was founded by Romulus and Remus in 753 B.C. During this time, the Chinese Zhou Dynasty was already in power and a thriving civilization. While Romans were mere villagers , China was already an Empire under the Zhou Dynasty:

mapzhou[1].gif

(Red = Chinese Empire under Zhou Dynasty)

Thus, I will say that Chinese Civilization is one of the oldest continuous civilization in the world. It is a contemporary of the Ancient Egyptians. But unlike the Ancient Egyptians, Classical Greeks, they have retained , largely, their historical domains. And their written language has evolved to its current form. The Chinese (Han, that is) are one of the oldest , largest and racially homogenous groups in the world.

Last edited:
The basic fact is that when China was visited from a delegation send from roman emperor marcus aurelius, that the chinese were in absolute awe. They even created a place for rome in their philosophy. They believed that rome is the western counterweight of their own empire. Like a Ying and Yang. Rome is the center of western culture and basicly all western nations. We have roman law, our architecture is based on it as well, so is our entire sport culture, military and way of thinking. The western soul was born in greece and its body build in rome. I can evryone give the strong advice to visit rome once in his life. I simply love our capital. It is also interesting to see much older artifacts in italian culture. When you visit tuscany you can see so much cultural things that go back to etruskian times. It is hard to tell a non italian. But you can feel the influence from it evrywhere. The influence of the roman empire is heavy evrywhere. But there you can see etruskian influence till today.

Italy = Ancient Roma ? lol,
obviously, you dont have common sence of Europe. You now even need an Asian to tell you that most Italians are the descendant of Germans(Lombards, Ostrogoths and Franks) and Berbers. Roman Citizen? Go blow yourself, Bulgarians and Romanian have purer blood, even some Turks are purer than your are. You Italians are only taking up their home, and stolen their glory. Moreover, you Italians suck now, lost all of your ancestors' traits, left only gays and daffodils. As regards Roman history, go to your library and suck some knowlege first, dont show your shamelessness here!

Last edited:
Italy = Ancient Roma ? lol,
obviously, you dont have common sence of Europe. You now even need an Asian to tell you that most Italians are the descendant of Germans(Ostrogoths and Franks) and Berbers. Roman Citizen? Go blow yourself, Bulgarians and Romanian have purer blood, even some Turks are purer than your are. You Italians are only taking up their home, and stolen their glory. Moreover, you Italians suck now, lost all of your ancestors' traits, left only gays and daffodils. As regards Roman history, go to your library and suck some knowlege first, dont show your shamelessness here!

@Alan-rei ,

No need to use insults to express your point. Keep it civil and discussion-friendly. Thanks.

@Alan-rei ,

No need to use insults to express your point. Keep it civil and discussion-friendly. Thanks.
I understand Janpanese like to keep polite always, at least in appearance, and I respect it. But euphemistic reply of Oriental ways sometimes cannot bring an equal and logical conversation, such as this Italian, regardless of how resonable your answers are, but only regard of his IQ. If no one want to break this hypocritical friendliness, I will do this dirty work.

Last edited:
I understand Janpanese like to keep polite always, at least in appearance, and I respect it. But euphemistic reply of Oriental ways sometimes cannot bring an equal and logical conversation, such as this Italian, regardless of how resonable your answers are, but only regard of their IQ. If no one want to break this hypocritical friendliness, I will do this dirty work.

He he , such warrior spirit ! :)

Doubt the Romans could win in a straight battle against the Han. However, the Romans would likely try to recruit local allies and auxiliaries and equipment before choosing to engage in such a battle. Such things were key to Rome winning battles in Gaul, Spain, Greece, and North Africa.

It is a bit surprising the two empires never came into direct contact. At one time they each had outposts in southwest Asia that were less than a hundred miles apart. The explanation is that the Parthians, who were key intermediaries of the Rome-China trade, successfully kept Rome and China from directly communicating with each other for hundreds of years, to Parthia's own profit.

the westmost point that Han empire had reached was Fergana valley, also known as Transoxiana, where there were some Hellenic states there. Bactria was certainly bordering to West "China" and well known to Chinese, so was Parthians, but it would be misguided to think china's rule in central asia was the same to the provinces in Chinese proper by having a glance of the map of Han dynasty. Most population there were non-Han people and they are subjects of over a dozen small state which are in fact self-governments. China's sovereignty was very superficial despite the presence of chinese army and governorate. it was impossible for the Han to launch a war against any of the powers in Central Asia, e.g. Bactria or Parthia. It appear to me that the real intermediaries are Sogdians. they are the most famous merchant and their language was lingua franca on silk road

Back
Top Bottom