What's new

Roman Empire vs Han Empire

That is the dichotomy of Western culture (Roman inspired) with Eastern (Confucian inspired). The West cherished individualism, multicultural dynamism, ergo the Romans were so quick to adapt some elements of religious customs of conquered peoples. We see this in the cults of Isis (an Egyptian goddess of the river Nile), the adoption of divinity of Rulers; the divinity of Pharaoh was adopted in regards to the Roman Emperor vis a vis the deification of Julius Caesar as Deus Ilius after his assassination at the Capitoline Steps.There was a culture of multicultural bounty in Rome, whereas China's society and most of the Confucian East has verily much appreciated social cohesion, collectivism and unitary determinism. Contextually speaking the Romans conjectured on an external locus of control whereas the Confucian East primarily espoused the importance of internal locus of control.

Regards,

Imho, Romans took other peoples gods only so they (the other people) can better identify with their new rulers. :smokin:

Turco-Mongols never took Rome but they took all of China without a sweat.

I think we all know how a war between China and Rome would have ended....a roman general climbing on top of piles of chiense corpses, waving the flag of the eagle and shouting "ROMA VICTOR!"

Rome was conquered only by none other than the Germanics themselves. The Vandals to be exact.
That is if you exclude East-Rome (New Rome) :)

I think we all know how a war between China and Rome would have ended....a roman general climbing on top of piles of chiense corpses, waving the flag of the eagle and shouting "ROMA VICTOR!"

Chinese were ruled by every people on earth. Several Turkic dynasties, Mongols, British, Japanese and few others. Rome (in Italy) was almost never conquered.

Imho, Romans took other peoples gods only so they (the other people) can better identify with their new rulers. :smokin:

The Romans' success is because of their civilizations' ability to employ evolutionary mimicry. They were an adaptive society. Early in Rome's history they adopted Etruscan culture and made it their own, of course after burning Etrusca to the ground and subsequently "Romanizing" it's territories. Later the Romans then absorbed the Hellenisitic culture , and the religion. Why even early Roman armies during the pre-Marian reforms even exemplified the use of Phalanx (a Greco custom), however the Romans adopted. They realized that a Legion's Triplex Helix stratagem could counter a Greco army. The Romans were akin to the 'Borg, or the Halo Flood. Once a civilization was conquered, it's identity joined the proverbial interstitial millieu that was the "Roman World".

Chinese were ruled by every people on earth. Several Turkic dynasties, Mongols, British, Japanese and few others. Rome (in Italy) was almost never conquered.

The Turks, like true Central Asians, were warriors of the Steppe. The Turks subdued the Persians, the Slavs, the Arabs, and of course the Greeks. Just like their Mongol kin who devasted the same region centuries prior.

;)

The Romans' success is because of their civilizations' ability to employ evolutionary mimicry. They were an adaptive society. Early in Rome's history they adopted Etruscan culture and made it their own, of course after burning Etrusca to the ground and subsequently "Romanizing" it's territories. Later the Romans then absorbed the Hellenisitic culture , and the religion. Why even early Roman armies during the pre-Marian reforms even exemplified the use of Phalanx (a Greco custom), however the Romans adopted. They realized that a Legion's Triplex Helix stratagem could counter a Greco army. The Romans were akin to the 'Borg, or the Halo Flood. Once a civilization was conquered, it's identity joined the proverbial interstitial millieu that was the "Roman World".

I must correct you. Etrusca was not burned to the ground. Etrusca was already in decline. There was no war, no big battle. Rome simply went there and the two melted into one.

I must correct you. Etrusca was not burned to the ground. Etrusca was already in decline. There was no war, no big battle. Rome simply went there and the two melted into one.

Have you read about the rape of Etrusca ? The early Romans were rather cruel to those that did not recognize Roman suzeiregnity.

Talking about our ancestors...i visited Pompeii when i was back in italy few weeks ago...and i must say i did never feel so close to my ancestors like there. I was there early in the morning and it was pretty empty. Walking on the streets and through the houses. You see so many things there that connect to today. Warning shields at the floors that the house is guarded from a dog. Little etchings at the walls where people back then scratched in their names.

We learn alot about rome in school in italy and i must say it always interested me and i love it. But this was first time it really "touched" me. I thought alot about the people i saw there who died as vesuvius broke out. Their bodies were hold in the positions they died.

The worst part is the "garden of refugees". You see several women, men and children. They had put the children under their bodies to protect them. Right behind them is a huge arc and at the horizon thrones mount vesuvius.

I did stay there a pretty long time. It may sound strange for someone who is not from italy but i´m sure your own countries also have places where you feel like this

o5e4j7.jpg

Talking about our ancestors...i visited Pompeii when i was back in italy few weeks ago...and i must say i did never feel so close to my ancestors like there. I was there early in the morning and it was pretty empty. Walking on the streets and through the houses. You see so many things there that connect to today. Warning shields at the floors that the house is guarded from a dog. Little etchings at the walls where people back then scratched in their names.

We learn alot about rome in school in italy and i must say it always interested me and i love it. But this was first time it really "touched" me. I thought alot about the people i saw there who died as vesuvius broke out. Their bodies were hold in the positions they died.

The worst part is the "garden of refugees". You see several women, men and children. They had put the children under their bodies to protect them. Right behind them is a huge arc and at the horizon thrones mount vesuvius.

I did stay there a pretty long time. It may sound strange for someone who is not from italy but i´m sure your own countries also have places where you feel like this

o5e4j7.jpg

That's awesome! I was impressed with Roman history growing up and in high school I saw the movie "Gladiator" and that really captivated me about Roman military history. Definitely appreciate the Greco-Roman interface.

o5e4j7.jpg
That looks cool, what is it? An aqueduct? We have the same in Istanbul.

766662-roman_aqueduct-Istanbul.jpg

Have you read about the rape of Etrusca ? The early Romans were rather cruel to those that did not recognize Roman suzeiregnity.
That looks cool, what is it? An aqueduct? We have the same in Istanbul.

766662-roman_aqueduct-Istanbul.jpg

Yes it is an Aquaeduct. They normally spanned thousands of km to bring water from the mountains to the big cities. You are from turkey, right? Go visit Ephesos. You will love it. Rome might have been the capital of our empire. But Ephesos was the Hollywood of its time. :D

Yes it is an Aquaeduct. They normally spanned thousands of km to bring water from the mountains to the big cities. You are from turkey, right? Go visit Ephesos. You will love it. Rome might have been the capital of our empire. But Ephesos was the Hollywood of its time. :D
Ich bin ein Türke aus den Niederlanden aber ich habe Ephesus besucht :D

The fascinating fact about this is that China still exists as China while the other former empires never got up again once it got vandalised, such as the Ottoman Empire, Mongol Empire or Roman Empire, even the British Empire practically shrunk back to its former size or vanished from the earth.

The fascinating fact about this is that China still exists as China while the other former empires never got up again once it got vandalised, such as the Ottoman Empire, Mongol Empire or Roman Empire, even the British Empire practically shrunk back to its former size or vanished from the earth.
If US didn't intervene in WW2 to save the Chinese from the Japanese, China wouldn't exist at all. It is nothing to be attributed to China.

the fascinating fact is, that china does not exist as china since it never was the state it is now, neither had it the same people nor had it any impact on world history.

Back
Top Bottom