What's new

Rohingyas changing Teknaf demography!

LaBong

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
Many of the local people in the Teknaf-Cox’s Bazar border belt are worried about the ongoing demographic changes taking place in the country’s southeast corner as there is no mechanism to check population boom among the Rohingyas floating in from Myanmar.

The Bangladeshi nationals who were born and brought up in Teknaf also fear if the current trend of growth of Rohingya population continues, the trespassers may outnumber the local people in a decade.

According to officials and local people, a poor literacy rate, lack of family planning knowledge and initiative and an evil intention, in some cases, to become majority are the reasons behind the prolific growth of Rohingyas.

Mohammad Islam, 28, an undocumented Rohingya refugee, acknowledged their choice of taking more children, saying that they have to consolidate their position by means of enhanced population back home in Myanmar.

“If we can become majority in the (Arakan) Rakhine state, the government will not launch any repressive campaign against us and we are confident that we could then lead a peaceful life there,” he said.

Rohingyas are a minority ethnic group, who are Muslim in belief system, in the Buddhist- majority Myanmar ruled mostly by military regimes.

Showing desperation, Noor Hossain, 51, a refugee and father of seven children, said, “If I had the age, I would have taken more children to become majority.”

However, Fazal Mahmud, 48, a documented Rohingya who has fathered as many as 22 children from a trio of three wives, has a different tale to tell.

“I have done a big mistake. I do not want to take anymore child,” he says, adding that he did not know method of controlling population — a lack of awareness which resulted in such a huge family.

Average size of Rohingya family inside the camp is six, much bigger than those staying outside the camp, said Dr. Kamruzzaman, camp-in-charge of Nayapara Refugee Camp.

“There are two reasons behind the higher population growth — to get more ration and to strengthen security of the particular Rohingya,” he pointed out.

Such a high growth rate in Ronhingya population has given birth to an anti-Rohigya sentiment that now runs high among the local people, the official said. Some non-governmental organisations are now working with the Rohingyas to ensure birth control.

Apart from 15,000 registered Rohingya refugees, more than 100,000 illegal Rohingyas are staying in Teknaf where the number of Bangladeshi population is 260,000.

The number of Rohingya people has just tripled in the past 20 years, said Shafiq Mia, Upazila Chairman of Teknaf.

“Lack of education, lack of knowledge of birth control and an evil intention to become majority in Teknaf have resulted in the population boom among the Rohingyas,” he said.

Abdullah, 21, a registered refugee of Nayapara Refugee Camp, attributed the higher growth in their number to the rationing system based on headcount. “So, the Rohingyas are getting incentives to take more children.”

Ummul Khaira, 45, a mother of eight, said they have nothing to do as they have been blessed with the children. “I do not want anymore but it depends on my husband,” she added.

Nurul Basar, a councillor of Teknaf municipality, cited example that a Rohingya couple which infiltrates into Bangladesh territory turns into a four-member family in two years. “For sure they are going to dominate Teknaf within a decade,” he said.

Infiltration of the Rohingyas has become a common phenomenon since their massive influx into Teknaf in 1978.

Border Guards Bangladesh personnel stopped as many as 2,688 Rohingyas from entering Bangladesh in 2010 while the number was 1802 in 2011 and 1274 from January to June 6 this year, according to their data which show the trend.

daily sun | First Page | Rohingyas changing Teknaf demography!

Lakh Lanat on Bangladeshis for accusing their brothers of demography changing. :angry:

I have followed television news on every channel during latest Rohingya crisis! And they showed how people secretly gave shelter to Rohingyas and in result got arrested! I have seen interviews of locals where everyone wanted to help them! Correct me if i am wrong! Once Jamat and BNP in power, DGFI must act quickly!

more Rohingyas = less BAL vote. headache for dadas!!

Aren't common Bangladeshis blaming Rohingyas for increasing the population in slums and blame them for increase in crime rates and taking away jobs of Bangladeshis.

Aren't common Bangladeshis blaming Rohingyas for increasing the population in slums and blame them for increase in crime rates and taking away jobs of Bangladeshis.

Not always.

What do they mean by changing demographics? Do the Rohingyas have antlers? Compound eyes? Are they anything else than the confluence point of the celestial and the terestrial, which every Bangladeshi is, as is every other human.

No, just the secularist civil society, journalists and BAL supporters who support their party stance. Otherwise common Bangladeshi feels for Rohingyas!

Anyway, whatever is written here in this article, i was told exactly same by one my friends from Cox's Bazar. He said to solidify their ground Rohingyas take many children in Arakan, Rakhaines can't compete with them! This is why Myanmar Govt. and others stage riots periodically to keep their number in check!

Anyway, whatever is written here in this article, i was told exactly same by one my friends from Cox's Bazar. He said to solidify their ground Rohingyas take many children in Arakan, Rakhaines can't compete with them! This is why Myanmar Govt. and others stage riots periodically to keep their number in check!
Is the cox bazar dude happy abour rohingyas being there?

Back
Top Bottom