What's new

Rohingya Ethnic Cleansing - Updates & Discussions

Living the genocide: in the grip of trauma
With no psychosocial assistance, Rohingya refugees are vulnerable to life-long PTSD
Md Shahnawaz Khan Chandan
October 06, 2017
rohingyas_13.jpg

Photo: Kazi Tahsin Agaz Apurbo
It was around 10 pm and raining heavily. As we were returning from Teknaf, we saw hundreds of Rohingyas huddled together in their polythene shanties and under trees to get some shelter from the downpour. Under a large tree, we saw a mother feeding her baby, and not far from her lay two toddlers getting helplessly drenched in the rain.

They were so weak and sick that they did not have the strength to move to seek shelter. We asked the mother, “Peace be upon you ma'am. Are they your children?” She replied, “No. We don't know where their parents are. They probably were killed by the [Myanmar] military. My relatives and I brought them with us as they had nowhere to go. If we had left them at their village, they would have been killed too.”

Like those toddlers, there are thousands of Rohingya children who saw their loved ones getting killed in front of their eyes; there are many who lost their parents amidst the chaos and don't know whether they are alive or not. Without any food, water or shelter, these children traversed hundreds of miles with the refugees for the sake of their lives.

In Kutupalong refugee camp at Ukhia, Cox's Bazar, we found an eight-year-old Rohingya boy sobbing relentlessly. We asked him why he was crying. He could not answer. When we asked again he only made a throat-slitting gesture with his fingers. Shocked by that gesture, we asked some Rohingyas what had happened to him. They told us a story that horrified us.

When the boy's home was attacked by a Rakhine mob, he along with his mother and maternal uncle hid in a bamboo thicket, but his father was caught. Seeing her husband tortured brutally, his mother went to beg for mercy from the rioters. However, the cold-blooded killers slaughtered the boy's mother and father after torturing them for hours. Right in front of his eyes. Unable to bear the atrocities, the boy passed out, and later, he and his uncle were rescued by a column of passing refugees.

“During the four-day journey through jungles and hills, he did not cry or utter a single word. He hardly ate any food or drank any water. After reaching the camp yesterday (September 6), he started weeping incessantly. He doesn't say anything and only makes the gesture of how his parents were killed,” says a Rohingya elderly, who along with his family members were looking after the boy at that time, as his only surviving relative, his maternal uncle, was hit by a bullet while crossing the border and taking treatment at a Medicins Sans Frontieres (MSF) hospital.
living_the_genocide1.jpg

Rohingya refugees have recurrent nightmares about their entire villages being destroyed by the Myanmar army in Maungdaw district. Photo: AFP
After visiting several Rohingya refugee camps at Teknaf and Cox's Bazar, we found hundreds of children who were severely traumatised and showed clear symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Starvation, unhealthy environment in the makeshift camps and diseases like diarrhoea and fever are further deteriorating their already vulnerable mental state.

Most of these children hardly get any support from their family members who are also equally traumatised—especially Rohingya women, who were worst victims of the violence and the easy prey for the rioters and Myanmar army. Accounts of rape and sadistic sexual assaults were shared by many Rohingya refugees. An elderly Rohingya woman at Kutupalong refugee camp told the reporters, “Myanmar military used to pick Rohingya women up whenever they wished. Only the pregnant and elderly women were spared. After several days of continuous rape and torture, they sometimes left the half-dead victims in the village. Sometimes we found their dead bodies nearby.”

Many young Rohingya girls hid their faces when they saw journalists and cameras and did not want to talk to us at all. An elderly Rohingya woman at a makeshift refugee camp in Thaengkhali says, “You will not find a single young Rohingya girl here who was not tortured by the Rakhines or the military.” Although we could not talk to them, anybody could read the expression of trauma and fear on their faces.

Many Rohingya women saw their children die of starvation, disease and from accidents. At least 10 children died on September 29, 2017 when a boat carrying 30 Rohingya women and children capsized just yards off the coast of the Bay of Bengal due to rough seas worsened by torrential downpour and high winds. After the accident, a mother was seen holding the lifeless body of her child but nobody could make her believe that the child had already passed away.

Many young Rohingya mothers lost their children and husbands amidst the chaos and were desperately searching for their loved ones in the densely populated refugee camps. In the camp at Thaengkhali, a Rohingya girl, hardly 18 years of age, asked us in a helpless manner, “Did you see Rafique, my son? He is of fair complexion and has a birthmark on his cheek. Could you please help me find him?” Many Rohingya mothers with newborn babies are also in a desperate state.

After days of starvation, many of these mothers cannot breastfeed their children and thousands of Rohingya children are at high risk of dying due to disease and malnutrition. “I cannot sleep at night anymore. I haven't eaten anything for days and could not breastfeed my son today. Whenever I feel sleepy, I hear my one-year-old son crying for food in my dreams. In my nightmares, I often see the Rakhines coming to seize my son to slaughter him,” says Morijna Begum—a mother of a six-month-old baby boy—who was severely weakened by starvation and constant sleep deprivation.

For now, relief initiatives are focusing mostly on providing life-saving support, such as food and medicine. The government and donor organisations are still struggling to manage these relief items for around 500,000 refugees. Under these trying circumstances, there is little to no initiative to address the mental health conditions of the traumatised survivors.

In fact, with an overzealous crowd of journalists, local aid workers, government and non-government officials interacting with and questioning these refugees without any heed, they are becoming more and more anxious and often breaking down into tears.
living_the_genocide2.jpg

UN doctors in Bangladesh found evidence of horrific sexual assaults on Rohingya women. Photo: Kazi Tahsin Agaz Apurbo
It is now obvious that these refugees, especially the women and children, who have been suffering unbearable psychological turmoil for months, must be given psychosocial help, so that they can gradually cope with this tragic, disastrous situation.

According to Professor Dr Muhammad Kamal Uddin, Department of Psychology, University of Dhaka, “With every relief initiative, we should also provide psychological first aid to every refugee. This psychological first aid is actually a counselling service which would include several components such as ensuring them of their safety and protection from further harm and support from the community and the country; giving them the opportunity to talk freely; listening to them with compassion; expressing sympathy and concern for their losses; and teaching them coping strategies. If this support is not given, there is a high chance that many of these women and children will suffer from life-long PTSD.”

Dr Kamal adds that women suffering from PTSD will not be able to take care of their children properly, which might cause malnutrition and even disability. He also argues that in the case of young children, PTSD severely affects brain development and its proper functioning. “Several studies highlight that child victims of PTSD show deviant behaviour when they grow up, including self-harm and aggressive tendencies; they are also more likely to get involved with criminal activities as adults if they are not treated early,” comments Dr Kamal.
living_the_genocide3.jpg

This Rohingya woman lost her only child when a boat full of Rohingya refugees sank off the coast of Teknaf but nobody could make her believe that her child had already passed away. Photo: Anisur Rahman
And yet, this huge number of Rohingya refugees, most of whom have had ghastly, traumatic experiences of violence and torture, are still beyond the purview of any psychological counselling services. Nishat Fatima Rahman, Assistant Professor at BRAC Institute for Educational Development (BIED) has been providing counselling training to BRAC workers who are working in Rohingya refugee camps. She says, “We train all our aid workers so that they can provide primary counselling services to the traumatised refugees. They learn the dos and don'ts of interaction with refugees. If all workers can be trained in basic counselling, they will be able to apply psychological first aid to help the refugees cope under stressful events.”

She also stated that in every refugee camp, a specified place can be preserved for children to play with their friends. “Play therapy is a very efficient method to treat traumatised children. During playtime, they interact freely and receive counselling suggestions willingly. BRAC has already established a few play centres in and around the refugee camps. But the situation is still very chaotic and in this situation there is no doubt that the number of PTSD patients will increase every day,” states Nishat.
living_the_genocide4.jpg

The boat carrying refugees broke into two pieces off the coast of Teknaf and around 60 Rohingyas lost their lives. Photo: Anisur Rahman
Beyond first aid, the refugees require therapy; however, given the severity of the disorders and the huge number of patients, this is far from realistic. Dr Kali Prasanna Das, a counsellor who provided psychological first aid to Rana Plaza survivors, thinks that group therapy can be an effective way to treat such a huge number of victims. “We have a shortage of psychiatrists and there are socio-cultural and linguistic barriers between the victims and the professionals. However, another characteristic of this crisis is that most of the victims share similar traumatic experiences and all of these victims want to survive and live. So, if we can divide the victims into several groups according to their age and gender and arrange sessions for them where they will be able to share their stories of sufferings freely, they will feel much more relieved,” says Dr Das. He also thinks that it will not be possible for a single organisation to conduct such an enormous task. He appeals to all the aid organisations to come forward to arrange group therapy sessions for the refugees.

Studies over the years have documented how survivors of the Holocaust, for instance, still show serious symptoms of PTSD even in their old age, having been deprived of any psychosocial assistance. Many of them recounted that their experiences during the Holocaust even led them to suffer serious physical and mental illnesses.

If we now fail to provide the Rohingya refugees with mental health services, there will be severe repercussions for them as individuals and as a community. As a result, national and international aid workers should also focus on giving these helpless refugees adequate mental health services so that they can cope with their current struggles and live with the hope of a better, peaceful future.
The writer can be contacted at shahnawaz.khan@thedailystar.net
http://www.thedailystar.net/star-weekend/spotlight/living-the-genocide-the-grip-trauma-1472017

The Rohingya are enduring a hell on Earth
‘Canada must urgently increase assistance to the many thousands of Rohingya who have already endured unimaginable suffering.’
kyle_degraw_in_rohingya_refugee_camp.jpg.size.custom.crop.1086x668.jpg

Kyle Degraw (left, centre) at the Mainnerghona camp for Rohingya refugees in Bangladesh. (SUPPLIED PHOTO)
By KYLE DEGRAW
Tues., Oct. 3, 2017
Words can’t describe the scene when I first enter the informal camps that have sprung up in Cox’s Bazar, along the Bangladesh-Myanmar border.

Much like the 500,000 Rohingya who have Myanmar’s northern Rakhine state in the past month, I trudge through calf-deep mud in torrential rain through swampy, flooded streets. The stench is overwhelming, a pungent combination of feces and garbage that permeates the air. With a severe lack of latrines, it’s immediately clear that open defecation is the norm. These are the conditions in which we have to deliver life-saving aid.

There is not enough food, clean water or shelter. Thousands of Rohingya are acutely hungry, sick, and without protection from the elements as the rains pour down. Many children are visibly alone malnourished. This is hell on Earth.

And yet, the conditions are better than across the border. At least those I speak to are alive. Down the road in Myanmar, villages are visibly burning, corroborating accounts from terrified children and families sharing their stories with me. Stories of looting, burnings, shootings, machete wounds, beheadings, and rape are common. Nearly everyone I speak to has lost a spouse, a parent, or a child.

What strikes me most are the children. They are silent and suspicious. They are not children we see most commonly back in Canada – playful, hopeful, and quick to rebound. They are survivors of the worst atrocities imaginable, and their silence is their scar.

I spoke with one woman, Fatima, who tells me her house was set on fire as she witnessed two of her sons dragged to the street and shot. She jumped through a window to escape with her youngest son Mohamed, breaking her arm as they ran to the border. They walked for 13 days, carrying only the clothes on their backs. Her husband remains behind, unable to cross the border – the ones who try are shot, or blown up by landmines, she says. She asks me to tell the world her story, because Mohamed can’t. Like the others, he no longer speaks.

The suffering on both sides of the border is why we have to act, and act fast. Without urgent relief to the Rohingya, we risk not only a public health crisis in camps, but the loss of an entire generation of children to unimaginable desperation. Of the over 500,000 people who have fled across the border in the past month, 60 per cent are children, leaving up to 300,000 without shelter, food, water, or safe places to play or learn.

While my colleagues and I are working around the clock to respond to the huge needs, we can’t do this work alone. With more desperate people coming across the border daily, we are now tasked with the monumental effort of constructing and servicing the equivalent of a medium-sized city from scratch. While the Bangladeshi government must be commended for opening their borders and partnering with organizations on the ground, it is clear this must be an international effort.

UNHCR chief Filippo Grandi has called this the worst displacement crisis in the world, and recent reports indicate that more than $200 million is needed to respond. Canada’s recent $3.55-million contributions are welcome, as is the inclusion of dedicated funding to meet the needs of children.

But as desperation mounts for those living in extreme conditions, it is clear that Canada must do more. As a Canadian aid worker, I am deeply proud of our response to refugee crises, including the way Canada has stepped up to resettle Syrian refugees.

Canada now needs to step up for Rohingya as well. As a Canadian witnessing this crisis unfold in front of me, it was welcome to see the attention given to the issue by Parliamentarians of all political stripes last week in Ottawa during the emergency debate. Even more welcome was the focus on what next steps Canada can take.

In Myanmar, there are still thousands of Rohingya hiding in forests, mountains and in burnt remains of villages. Canada has rightly been calling for unhindered humanitarian access to northern Rakhine State so people like these can be reached with urgently needed aid. We also need access for the UN Fact Finding Mission so they can assess what has happened.

With the massive need confronting me daily on the Bangladesh side, one crucial next step must be acted on. If our government truly wants to be a leader in stepping up for those in need, the most impactful, immediate option is to increase humanitarian assistance. Like other donors who have significantly upped their contributions in recent weeks, Canada must urgently increase assistance to the many thousands who have already endured unimaginable suffering.

The lives and futures of children and families may depend on it.
Kyle Degraw is a humanitarian manager with Save the Children. He is currently responding to the Rohingya crisis in Bangladesh.
https://www.thestar.com/opinion/commentary/2017/10/02/the-rohingya-are-enduring-a-hell-on-earth.html

12:00 PM, October 06, 2017 / LAST MODIFIED: 12:37 PM, October 06, 2017
Crackdown on Rohingyas in Myanmar could draw int'l terrorists: US
rohingya_crisis_9.jpg

Myanmar's military crackdown that has caused a half-million Rohingya Muslims to flee to Bangladesh could destabilize the region and invite international terrorists, the State Department says Thursday, October 5, 2017. Photo: Anisur Rahman
AP, Washington
Myanmar's military crackdown that has caused a half-million Rohingya Muslims to flee to Bangladesh could destabilise the region and invite international terrorists, the US State Department said Thursday.
But Patrick Murphy, a senior US official for Southeast Asia, would not say whether the Trump administration would impose targeted sanctions against Myanmar's military.

Addressing the House Committee on Foreign Affairs, Murphy said security forces were to blame for a "disproportionate response" to Rohingya insurgent attacks six weeks ago. He equivocated on whether it amounted to ethnic cleansing, preferring instead to describe the situation as a "human tragedy."

That drew objections from lawmakers.
"We identify this as full-fledged ethnic cleansing," said Representative Ed Royce, the Republican committee chairman. Senior UN officials have used similar language.
READ MORE: Bangladesh to move ahead despite Rohingya influx
Murphy said that in addition to the half-million who have fled to Bangladesh, an estimated 200,000 people have been internally displaced in Myanmar's strife-hit Rakhine State. Despite government assurances that security operations halted a month ago, vigilantes are still reportedly committing arson attacks on Rohingya homes and blocking humanitarian assistance, he said.

"Burma's nascent democracy is at a turning point and a heavy-handed response invites international terrorists and challenges for other neighbors," Murphy said, referring to the alternative name for Myanmar, where long-standing sectarian tensions between majority Buddhists and the Rohingya have spiraled as the country has opened up.

He said the US has discussed the situation with other countries in Southeast Asia — where the Philippines, and Muslim-majority nations like Malaysia and Indonesia, have grappled with terrorist attacks and extremist violence.

Representative Eliot Engel, the committee's top-ranking Democrat, said the US should consider sanctions on Myanmar's military leadership and businesses that were lifted by the Obama administration to reward Myanmar's shift to democracy after five decades of direct military rule. A weak civilian government took power last year.

Murphy said the administration is "exploring all options available to us to effect change." The US already has substantial restrictions on the military and only very rarely grants US visas to members of the military and their families, he said.

He said the Min Aung Hlaing, the commander in chief of Myanmar's armed forces, "has enormous responsibility to stop the violence" and address security threats in a "proper manner." But he added that there are other contributors to the violence, including Rohingya militants and vigilantes — a reference to Buddhist thugs who have also attacked Rohingya.

Engel said satellite imagery and witness accounts indicate that Myanmar's military and security forces "have been carrying out an intentional, systematic policy to drive Rohingya from their homes in Burma and to burn their villages to the ground."

He said hundreds of Rohingya have been treated for gunshot wounds inflicted by security forces as they fled.

While Murphy steered clear of describing that as "ethnic cleansing," he pointed to comments by US Cabinet members, such as UN ambassador Nikki Haley who last week described it as a "brutal, sustained campaign to cleanse the country of an ethnic minority."
http://www.thedailystar.net/rohingy...rnational-terrorists-united-states-us-1472431

12:00 PM, October 06, 2017 / LAST MODIFIED: 12:37 PM, October 06, 2017
rohingya_crisis_9.jpg

Myanmar's military crackdown that has caused a half-million Rohingya Muslims to flee to Bangladesh could destabilize the region and invite international terrorists, the State Department says Thursday, October 5, 2017. Photo: Anisur Rahman
AP, Washington
Myanmar's military crackdown that has caused a half-million Rohingya Muslims to flee to Bangladesh could destabilise the region and invite international terrorists, the US State Department said Thursday.
But Patrick Murphy, a senior US official for Southeast Asia, would not say whether the Trump administration would impose targeted sanctions against Myanmar's military.

Addressing the House Committee on Foreign Affairs, Murphy said security forces were to blame for a "disproportionate response" to Rohingya insurgent attacks six weeks ago. He equivocated on whether it amounted to ethnic cleansing, preferring instead to describe the situation as a "human tragedy."

That drew objections from lawmakers.

"We identify this as full-fledged ethnic cleansing," said Representative Ed Royce, the Republican committee chairman. Senior UN officials have used similar language.
READ MORE: Bangladesh to move ahead despite Rohingya influx
Murphy said that in addition to the half-million who have fled to Bangladesh, an estimated 200,000 people have been internally displaced in Myanmar's strife-hit Rakhine State. Despite government assurances that security operations halted a month ago, vigilantes are still reportedly committing arson attacks on Rohingya homes and blocking humanitarian assistance, he said.
"Burma's nascent democracy is at a turning point and a heavy-handed response invites international terrorists and challenges for other neighbors," Murphy said, referring to the alternative name for Myanmar, where long-standing sectarian tensions between majority Buddhists and the Rohingya have spiraled as the country has opened up.

He said the US has discussed the situation with other countries in Southeast Asia — where the Philippines, and Muslim-majority nations like Malaysia and Indonesia, have grappled with terrorist attacks and extremist violence.

Representative Eliot Engel, the committee's top-ranking Democrat, said the US should consider sanctions on Myanmar's military leadership and businesses that were lifted by the Obama administration to reward Myanmar's shift to democracy after five decades of direct military rule. A weak civilian government took power last year.

Murphy said the administration is "exploring all options available to us to effect change." The US already has substantial restrictions on the military and only very rarely grants US visas to members of the military and their families, he said.

He said the Min Aung Hlaing, the commander in chief of Myanmar's armed forces, "has enormous responsibility to stop the violence" and address security threats in a "proper manner." But he added that there are other contributors to the violence, including Rohingya militants and vigilantes — a reference to Buddhist thugs who have also attacked Rohingya.

Engel said satellite imagery and witness accounts indicate that Myanmar's military and security forces "have been carrying out an intentional, systematic policy to drive Rohingya from their homes in Burma and to burn their villages to the ground."

He said hundreds of Rohingya have been treated for gunshot wounds inflicted by security forces as they fled.

While Murphy steered clear of describing that as "ethnic cleansing," he pointed to comments by US Cabinet members, such as UN ambassador Nikki Haley who last week described it as a "brutal, sustained campaign to cleanse the country of an ethnic minority."
http://www.thedailystar.net/rohingy...rnational-terrorists-united-states-us-1472431

Could Rohingya crisis be a creation of CIA/Mossad covert ops? Something similar to what they did in Syria? With the intended goal of destabilizing the region to prevent Chinese economic and infrastructure development in the region? Thoughts?

Could Rohingya crisis be a creation of CIA/Mossad covert ops? Something similar to what they did in Syria? With the intended goal of destabilizing the region to prevent Chinese economic and infrastructure development in the region? Thoughts?
Needs serious analytical in depth research work@MBI Munshi,any thoughts?. As, the first unplanned and literally unarmed so called attack on the Burmese Police outpost,manned by the Army troops along with the police, by ARSA,virtually a non existent,previously unknown group with bows & arrows,axes, crude handmade bombs, those failed to explode, is indeed intriguing. Moreover, the Burmese forces were informed well in advance of the impending threat, resulted in ARSA suffered numerous casualties, these novice acts, are thought provoking indeed.
The barbaric crimes against humanity, horrific ethnic cleansing along with the genocide that followed subsequently, are perturbing, there are ample reasons to believe that these were pre planned,well ahead in time. A valid point raised here.

Last edited:
October 06, 2017 / LAST MODIFIED: 12:37 PM, October 06, 2017
rohingya_crisis_9.jpg

AP, Washington

Myanmar's military crackdown that has caused a half-million Rohingya Muslims to flee to Bangladeshcould destabilise the region and invite international terrorists, the US State Department said Thursday.

That drew objections from lawmakers. "We identify this as full-fledged ethnic cleansing," said Representative Ed Royce, the Republican committee chairman. Senior UN officials have used similar language.

The photographs that tell the full story of the Rohingya refugee crisis
Unidentified men carrying knives and slingshots walk past a burning village near Maungdaw in Rakhine state, on 7 September, 2017. Many Rohingya have died trying to flee the fighting, not making it to the refugee camps in Bangladesh CREDIT: GETTY IMAGES
Lucy Davies
5 OCTOBER 2017 •
They arrive ill and exhausted, having walked for days through jungle, rice paddies and mountains, or having braved dangerous sea and river voyages in ramshackle boats. Some of them are newborn, others in their 80s. Not everyone survives the journey. All that do are desperate.

Since 25 August, nearly 450,000 refugees have crossed from Burma (also known as Myanmar) into neighbouring Bangladesh, after long-running tensions between Rohingya Muslims and the predominantly Buddhist Burmese population erupted into violence in the remote western state of Rakhine.

By the time you read this, that already staggering figure will have increased.

The United Nations, which has described the violence driving the Rohingya from a territory they have lived in for centuries as ‘a textbook example of ethnic cleansing’, estimates many thousands are still arriving each week.
‘Every day that I was there,’ says American photographer Greg Constantine, who has recently returned from a fortnight in the region, ‘I would look across the border into northern Rakhine and see smoke pouring into the sky. [Burmese government leader] Aung San Suu Kyi claims the clearance operations have stopped, but they haven’t. Every one of those refugees tells the same story: of mobs and the military torching their homes, killing, raping, terrorising. And the scale of it – I’ve been here more than a dozen times over the last decade, and every time I think, “It can’t get worse than this.” And it does.’

The three makeshift camps the refugees are headed for – Kutupalong, Nayapara and Balukhali – were established 25 years ago. Even before the most recent exodus they housed around 33,000 people, and many more Rohingya have settled in the wider area too. New arrivals sleep in the open until they can build shelters, which mostly consist of bamboo poles and tarpaulin.

‘It’s not even a specific place any more,’ explains Constantine. ‘You drive down the highway from Ukhiya to Teknaf, and it’s just mile upon mile upon mile of huts and people sitting on the side of the road.’
fpnmf1yze64_3fctlcursksl8nx6ynbo.jpg

Refugees continue to stream into Bangladesh from Myanmar

Violence towards the Rohingya isn’t new – it goes back to 1784, when the Burman king Bodawpaya conquered Rakhine and hundreds of thousands of Rohingya were forced to flee to Bengal – but the current crisis is rooted in a belief among many Burmese that the Rohingya, who returned to Rakhine in large numbers during the British occupation of Burma between 1824 and 1948, want to turn Rakhine into a Muslim state.

Constantine, 47, who grew up in Indiana and taught himself photography in his 30s, first began documenting the Rohingya in 2006, as part of a series exploring the plight of the stateless. Nowhere People documents individuals and communities all over the world who have no official citizenship, no documentation and no rights.

Rohingya babies, for instance, are not given birth certificates. As adults, they can’t work or go to a doctor or obtain an education. They are regarded as illegal immigrants by the majority of Burma’s citizens and were excluded from the country’s most recent census (which did not allow people to register their identity as Rohingya).

‘The million-dollar question that everyone grapples with is why,’ says Constantine, who has been blacklisted by the Burmese government and banned from re-entering the country.

I would look across the border into northern Rakhine and see smoke pouring into the sky. Aung San Suu Kyi claims the clearance operations have stopped, but they haven’t
‘I’ve always believed that what is at the heart of it is a deep-rooted racism. Is there a solution? Not unless things change inside Myanmar, and not just at a political level. The international community can put all the pressure it wants on the government but change has to happen among the attitudes of the citizenry for things to even begin heading in the right direction.’

Until then, Constantine says, he will keep going back to the camps.

‘I realised, somewhere along the way over these last 10 years, that what I was doing had changed from reporting on specific events to creating a timeline of slow violence towards a community. I want to show that what is happening now is something that has a history behind it. That all of this should have been expected. That we knew.’
The story behind the photographs
By photographer Greg Constantine
USA5346_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bq_MBhvjUqhIfRd2_dxg_gJxNpJRkztJkuB91uErqiR7A.jpg

CREDIT: GREG CONSTANTINE
Hundreds of thousands of Rohingya have flooded into southern Bangladesh over the past month after violence erupted in the Burmese state of Rakhine. The north-south highway between the Bangladeshi cities of Teknaf and Cox’s Bazar is a steady flow of refugees.
USA6348_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bq_MBhvjUqhIfRd2_dxg_gJxNpJRkztJkuB91uErqiR7A.jpg
USA6348_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bq_MBhvjUqhIfRd2_dxg_gJxNpJRkztJkuB91uErqiR7A.jpg

A middle-class Bangladeshi tosses small notes of currency into the air for young Rohingya children. At certain moments I get so incredibly frustrated with human beings. This was one of those situations. I couldn’t help but photograph it. He might have had the best intentions, but what he was doing was degrading. He wasn’t approaching these people as human beings. You see it happening a lot in the camps: well-intentioned people who aren’t thinking clearly about the way they go about things.
USA6945_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bq_MBhvjUqhIfRd2_dxg_gJxNpJRkztJkuB91uErqiR7A.jpg

Rohingya women and children sit wherever they can find shelter along the road between Teknaf and Cox’s Bazar. They can be here for weeks before they are able to get a space on the back of a flatbed truck and move on to one of the refugee camps. The cramped journey takes about two hours, with only a tarpaulin for protection from the rain. The last time I made the journey with a group of them, it rained the whole way.
USA7424_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bq_MBhvjUqhIfRd2_dxg_gJxNpJRkztJkuB91uErqiR7A.jpg

These days there are stations in the camps from which humanitarian assistance can be distributed. At any time of day, you see lines of people waiting to get to rice or some other food ration. There are also a lot of intrepid well-wishers, whether Bangladeshi or foreign donors, who drive in in big trucks. It causes these surges of complete mayhem – that’s what you see here. There are maybe 2,000 people swarming around the truck here, and the people distributing the food have to keep order by beating some of them back with sticks. It’s very inhumane in that sense.
USA8496_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bq_MBhvjUqhIfRd2_dxg_gJxNpJRkztJkuB91uErqiR7A.jpg

There’s a huge business in bamboo in the camps – it comes in on trucks almost daily, and this is what people use to build their homes. When I first visited, very little was organised, but things are much more coordinated now. Even when the huts are in the middle of being built, so just skeletons really, people still sleep under them. They have no protection from the elements. When you see the size of the camps, you think, “How many people are actually left in Burma when there are so many people here?”
Click on the link to view the pictures:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...hingya-refugee-crisis/?WT.mc_id=tmgoff_fb_tmg

Lack of access to Myanmar's Rakhine state 'unacceptable': UN

upload_2017-10-6_14-28-4.gif

Mark Lowcock, Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator, attends a news conference on his visit to Bangladesh for the Rohingya refugee crisis, at the United Nations in Geneva, Switzerland on Oct 6, 2017. (Photo: Reuters/Denis Balibouse)

06 Oct 2017 05:11PM

GENEVA: The lack of humanitarian access granted by Myanmar's government to Rakhine state, where more than half a million Rohingya Muslims have fled violence, is "unacceptable", the UN said Friday (Oct 6).

"The access we have in northern Rakhine state is unacceptable", the head of the United Nations humanitarian office, Mark Lowcock, told reporters in Geneva.

A small UN team visited the crisis-wracked region in majority Buddhist Myanmar in recent days and described witnessing "unimaginable" suffering.

Myanmar has tightly controlled access to the state since last month when attacks by Rohingya militants prompted an army kickback that has sent 515,000 Rohingya fleeing to Bangladesh.

Scores of Rohingya villages have been torched.

Lowcock said he believed a "a high level" UN team would be able to visit the area "in the next few days".

Advertisement

He repeated the UN's call for the government to allow "unhindered (and) unfettered" access.

"Half a million people do not pick up sticks and flee their country on a whim," Lowcock added, stressing that the scale of the exodus was evidence of a severe crisis in northern Rakhine.

The UN has "substantial capacity" in Myanmar which can be quickly deployed to northern Rakhine once clearance is granted he added.

A Myanmar official tally says hundreds of people died as violence consumed remote communities, including Rohingya.

Hindus and ethnic Rakhine were also among the dead - allegedly killed by Rohingya militants.

Rights groups say the real death toll is likely to be much higher, especially among the Rohingya, while the UN has labelled army operations as "ethnic cleansing" against the Muslim group.

There may be up to 100,000 more people in northern Rakhine waiting to cross into Bangladesh, according to the International Organization for Migration.

presstv.gif

Bangladesh set to relocate all Rohingya to mega refugee camp: Official
Thu Oct 5, 2017 05:55PM

Bangladesh says it plans to expand a massive settlement under construction in its southernmost district to house nearly 900,000 persecuted Rohingya Muslims who have fled violence in Myanmar.

Mofazzal Hossain Chowdhury Maya, minister for disaster management and relief, said on Thursday that the estimated 890,000 refugees would eventually be moved to the new site near the border town of Cox's Bazar.

"All of those who are living in scattered places... would be brought into one place. That's why more land is needed. Slowly all of them will come," media outlets quoted the minister as saying.

Elsewhere in his remarks, the minister said that families were already moving to the new site, known as the Kutupalong Extension.

There are currently nearly two dozen camps and other makeshift camps along the border. Two of the existing settlements have already been shut down.

Last month, two thousand acres of land next to the existing Kutupalong camp were set aside for the new Rohingya arrivals. Another 1,000 acres were later set aside for the new camp.

The number of newcomers has exceeded 500,000 -- adding to 300,000 already in Bangladesh.

The mega camp project has, however, caused concern among doctors and charities on the ground that fear a disease like cholera could spread quickly through such a congested, overpopulated site.

The International Organization for Migration (IOM) says the situation is "slowly spiraling into a catastrophe of biblical proportions."

According to Mark Lowcock, UN emergency relief coordinator, the world body would be seeking around $430 million to scale up the humanitarian operation for the destitute Rohingya.

In a fresh bout of violence in Myanmar, soldiers and Buddhist mobs have been attacking Rohingya Muslims and torching their villages since October 2016. The attacks have seen a sharp rise since August 25, following a number of purported armed attacks on police and military posts in the western state of Rakhine.

Many witnesses and rights groups have reported systematic attacks, including rape, murder and arson, at the hands of the army and Buddhist mobs against Rohingya Muslims, forcing them to leave their generations-old homes and flee to overcrowded and squalid refugee camps in Bangladesh.

The UN has described the crackdown on Rohingya in Myanmar as a textbook example of ethnic cleansing.
https://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/...presstv01.htm?_m=3n.002a.2123.nz0ao0axfl.1ycp

Instead of debating on codifying the present situation in Arakan, the US govt should come out with a permanent solution of the crisis.

BD needs to impress upon the US that the stability of one of the populous muslim states will not benefit anyone.

An immediate safezone within Burma needs to be created for the Rohingya.

http://aa.com.tr/en/asia-pacific/turkey-to-send-54m-aid-to-help-rohingya-in-bangladesh/928754
Turkey to send $54M aid to help Rohingya in Bangladesh

By Yesim Sert Karaaslan

ANKARA

The Health Ministry will send aid material worth 196 million Turkish liras ($54 million) to Bangladesh for Rohingya Muslims who have crossed over from Myanmar’s Rakhine state, according to a ministry source Friday.

The ministry will deliver the aid through the Disaster and Emergency Management Authority (AFAD), the source, who spoke on condition of anonymity due to restrictions on talking to the media, said.

The aid will also be used for disinfection of wells, the source added.

Since Aug. 25, some 507,000 Rohingya have crossed from Myanmar's western state of Rakhine into Bangladesh, according to the UN.

The refugees are fleeing a military operation in which security forces and Buddhist mobs have killed men, women and children, looted homes and torched Rohingya villages. According to Bangladeshi Foreign Minister Abul Hasan Mahmood Ali, around 3,000 Rohingya have been killed in the crackdown.

Turkey has been at the forefront of providing aid to Rohingya refugees and President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has raised the issue at the UN.

The Rohingya, described by the UN as the world's most persecuted people, have faced heightened fears of attack since dozens were killed in communal violence in 2012.

Last October, following attacks on border posts in Rakhine's Maungdaw district, security forces launched a five-month crackdown in which, according to Rohingya groups, around 400 people were killed.

The UN documented mass gang rapes, killings -- including of infants and young children -- brutal beatings, and disappearances committed by security personnel. In a report, UN investigators said such violations may have constituted crimes against humanity.

Bangladesh is muslim because of Khilji... Turkey is successor state to the ottomans and we are intricately linked. The golden thread of islamic fraternity between us has survived the British raj and the following decades intact.

Erdogan is the only muslim leader who is worthy of respect in the ummah, may he continue.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom