What's new

Rohingya Ethnic Cleansing - Updates & Discussions

Yeni Şafak
Rohingya refugees fleeing from Myanmar to Bangladesh face new adversities at camps. They must line up to receive their food rations.
http://www.yenisafak.com/…/rohingya-widow-with-five-childre…

Erdogan accuses Myanmar of ‘Buddhist terror’ against Rohingya
1001326-1403226190.jpg

By AFP September 26, 2017
ISTANBUL: Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has accused the security forces in Myanmar of waging a “Buddhist terror” against the Rohingya Muslim minority in the country, hundreds of thousands of whom have fled to Bangladesh.

Erdogan, who has repeatedly highlighted the plight of the Rohingya, again accused the Yangon government of carrying out a “genocide” against the people in Rakhine state.
In a speech in Istanbul, Erdogan lamented the failure of the international community to lay sanctions against the Myanmar government over its campaign.

“There is a very clear genocide over there,” Erdogan said.

Erdogan, who has held talks by phone with Myanmar’s key leader and Nobel Peace Prize winner Aung Sang Suu Kyi, added: “Buddhists always get represented as envoys of goodwill. At the moment, there is a clear Buddhist terror in Myanmar... I don’t know how you can gloss over this with yoga, schmoga. This is a fact here. And all humanity needs to know this.”

Erdogan takes a sharp interest in the fate of Muslim communities across the world and notably sees himself as a champion of the Palestinian cause.

Returning for a key personal theme, he lambasted the international community for being quick to denounce “Islamic terror” but not “Christian terror,” “Jewish terror” or “Buddhist terror.”
Erdogan’s remarks came as UN High Commissioner for Refugees Filippo Grandi said Bangladesh must not force Rohingya Muslims who have fled Myanmar to move to camps on a desolate island.
Authorities have stepped up moves to house the Rohingya on the island in the Bay of Bengal since a new surge which now totals 436,000 refugees started arriving on Aug. 25.

Grandi said Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina had mentioned the relocation plan when they met in July. There were already 300,000 Rohingya in camps near the border at Cox’s Bazar before the latest influx started.
But he insisted that any move from the camps to Bhashan Char island — also known as Thengar Char — “has to be voluntary on the part of the refugees.”

“We cannot force people to go to the place. So the option for the medium term, let’s say — I don’t want to talk about long-term — has to be also something that is acceptable to the people that go there,” he said.
“Otherwise it won’t work. Otherwise people won’t go.”

The UN has praised Bangladesh for taking in the Rohingya, who fled a military crackdown in Myanmar. It has appealed for international help for the authorities.

“It is good to think ahead. These people (Rohingya) may not be able to go back very quickly and especially now the population has now doubled,” Grandi told a Dhaka press briefing.
The UNHCR chief said his agency was ready to help the island plan with a “technical study of the options.
“That’s all that we are ready to give. We are not giving it yet because I have not seen any concrete options on any paper.”

The small island in the estuary of the Meghna river is a one-hour boat ride from Sandwip, the nearest inhabited island, and two hours from Hatiya, one of Bangladesh’s largest islands.
The government has tasked the navy with making it ready for the Rohingya. Two helipads and a small road have been built.

The authorities first proposed settling the Rohingya there in 2015, as the refugee camps in Cox’s Bazar became overstretched.

But the plan was apparently shelved last year amid reports that the silty island, which only emerged from the sea in 2006, was often unhabitable due to regular tidal flooding.
In recent weeks, Bangladesh has appealed for international support to move the Rohingya to the island as the impoverished nation struggles to cope with the influx

More than 436,000 refugees have crossed the border from Myanmar’s Rakhine state since August 25 when a military crackdown was launched following attacks by Rohingya militants.

There is not enough food, water or medicine to go around. Roads around the camps are littered with human excrement, fueling UN fears that serious disease could quickly break out.
http://www.rohingyablogger.com/2017/09/erdogan-accuses-myanmar-of-buddhist.html

Japan ‘fully supports’ Bangladesh on Rohingya issue
Published: 2017-09-27
Japan.jpg

Japanese Vice-Minister for Foreign Affairs Iwao Horri has said that Tokyo “fully supports” Dhaka to solve the “difficult crisis” of Rohingya refugees.
Talking to journalists after his meeting with state minister for foreign affairs Md Shahriar Alam on Wednesday, he said the issue is a “great concern” for Japan.

“We also offer assistance for them in Bangladesh,” he said at the state guest house Padma.

Bangladesh State Minister Shahriar Alam said Japan was with Bangladesh from the beginning. “If you read their statement on Aug 29, you will clearly understand that,” he said.
Japan also wants full implementation of Kofi Annan Commission report what Bangladesh has been pressing for.
A+boy+is+pulled+to+safety+as+Rohingya+refugees+scuffle+while+queueing+for+aid+at+Cox%27s+Bazar%2C+Bangladesh%2C+September+26%2C+2017.+Reuters.JPG

A boy is pulled to safety as Rohingya refugees scuffle while queueing for aid at Cox's Bazar, Bangladesh, September 26, 2017. Reuters

“Japan is a friendly country for us,” he said, adding that in the meeting he also reminded that Bangladesh did not contest the Security Council election for Japan.
Vice-Minister Horri arrived in Dhaka late on Tuesday for a day-long visit to discuss Rohingya crisis.

The matter drew global attention after the Aug 25 violence that forced nearly 500,000 people from the Rakhine State to flee “ethnic cleansing”.

Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina has presented her five-point proposals to the UN General Assembly for the solution of this decades-old crisis.

Bangladesh will also present its case before the Security Council on Thursday in an open debate when UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres is expected to publicly brief the 15-member body.
http://bdnews24.com/bangladesh/2017/09/27/japan-fully-supports-bangladesh-on-rohingya-issue

IOM Bangladesh
কেবল একটু এগিয়ে আসার প্রয়োজন।
২৫ অগাস্ট থেকে এই পর্যন্ত ৪৩৫,০০০ রোহিঙ্গা বাংলাদেশে প্রবেশ করেছে।

তাদের মানবিক সহায়তা নিশ্চিত করণের লক্ষে জাতিসংঘের অভিবাসন সংস্থা আইওএম, ব্যক্তিগত ও সাংগঠনিক অনুদান গ্রহণ করছে। আগ্রহী ব্যক্তি বা সংগঠন নিম্নে উল্লেখিত ব্র্যাক ব্যাংক অ্যাকাউন্টের মাধ্যমে সাহায্য প্রদান করতে পারেন।

The UN Migration Agency- IOM is accepting donations from individuals and institutions to provide essential lifesaving support to the #Rohingya living in Bangladesh.
You can contribute in local currency via BRAC Bank
Account Name: International Organization for Migration – haf
Account No: 1501202779346002
Branch: Gulshan 1, Dhaka, Bangladesh

Individuals living abroad or willing to contribute in international currency can donate through the following link by selecting Bangladesh humanitarian assistance fund from the ‘donate to’ tab.
https://www.kintera.org/…/IOM__Make_a…/apps/ka/sd/donor.asp…
100% of the funding will spent for the community making your every penny count!
Inbox us for more. #Rohingya #Coxsbazar

Rohingya mothers and babies: Hungry and traumatised
Mothers recount giving birth as they fled, their children crying in hunger and their fears over long-term trauma.
Showkat Shafi | 28 Sep 2017 11:14 GMT | Rohingya, Humanitarian crises, Human Rights, Bangladesh, Myanmar
Myanmar
army attacked her village and started indiscriminately killing villagers.

Members of the persecuted Rohingya community, Sameron, her husband, Anwar, and their three-year-old daughter, Sabiha, fled their home in Rajarbill in Myanmar's Rakhine state. It was August 25.

Heavily pregnant, Sameron ran and walked through the night with her family.
25acbd6eb4f2444d8e4128ce33a9fd3e_18.jpg

Sameron holds her newborn daughter Sadiha [Showkat Shafi/Al Jazeera]
"In the morning, we reached a village named Itella," she recalls. "The village was deserted after the army had attacked it."

They found an abandoned house with enough food items inside it to sustain them for five days.

But then the army came again. "We escaped," says Sameron.

The next stage of their journey was the hardest. The family walked for an entire day and night without any food or water.

"I don't even want to think about that pain," she says. "I had constant pain in my stomach and I was feeling sick. In the middle of this journey, I started having unbearable pain in my stomach and I would sit down and crouch in an effort to reduce it. I had gone into labour."

Tears well in her eyes as she recalls it.
"It was the most terrifying phase of my life. I somehow would keep breathing and walking. My husband would carry me and then carry my daughter, who had also started crying from the pain of walking. We were all weeping from pain, desperation and hunger."
MORE: Rohingya refugees search for shelter in Bangladesh
The family eventually reached the village of Mongni Para. There were still people living there and some of the old women helped to deliver Sameron's baby.

"We had to leave this village after five days. I was in no condition to walk but I somehow managed to reach a place from where we got on a boat to enter Bangladesh by crossing the Naf River. We had to pay 650,000 Kyat (around $477) to the boatman [for the rent of the entire boat]. He initially refused to take us because we didn't have enough money, but some people helped us," she says as she stands in a queue with her newborn daughter, waiting for medical treatment at a clinic that has been temporarily set up outside a mosque in the Bangladeshi port city of Cox's Bazar.

As a result of her strenuous journey and weak state, Sameron hasn't been able to breastfeed her baby, who she has named Sadiha. "There was hardly any food for any of us as we walked for days. How would I produce enough milk to breastfeed my daughter?" she asks.

Many others are in a similar situation.

Mayang Sari, a nutritionist with UNICEF, says "young mothers and children are the most vulnerable".

"The extremely stressful and hard conditions have led to mothers and children becoming traumatised," Sari adds. "This has made it difficult to breastfeed babies and this could become a bigger problem."
http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/in...abies-hungry-traumatised-170925084205580.html

how many bangladeshis here have donated for rohingyas?
@Bangla bir you should start a thread about it, and help people donate to right org.

6:08 PM, September 28, 2017 / LAST MODIFIED: 06:37 PM, September 28, 2017
Rohingya crisis: IOM chief shocked over sexual, gender-based violence in Myanmar
rohingya_2_2.jpg

Rohingya refugees assembled at the coordination camp in Hariakali Government Primary School on September 28, 2017. Photo: Anisur Rahman/ STAR
Star Online Report
Director General of UN Migration Agency William Lacy Swing today said he is deeply shocked and concerned over the human rights abuse, sexual and gender-based violence against Rohingyas in Myanmar.
“Sexual and gender-based violence is a severe, life-threatening public health and human rights abuse and I am deeply shocked and concerned by reports we are receiving from new arrivals in Cox’s Bazar,” he said in a statement of the International Organization for Migration (IOM).

Particularly women and girls, but also men and boys, have been targeted for and are at risk of further exploitation, violence and abuse simply because of their gender, age and status in society, he said.

An estimated 480,000 Rohingya people have so far arrived in Cox’s Bazar of Bangladesh since August 25 when violence broke out in Myanmar’s Rakhine State.

Prior to this most recent influx, Rohingyas had been fleeing Rakhine state for years following various waves of insecurity, including approximately 74,000 people last October.

Gender-based violence has been recorded in needs assessments, fact finding missions and through the provision of life-saving services, according to IOM, which is providing urgent medical and psychological support to survivors.

Rape, sexual assault, domestic violence and child marriage, have been identified among other forms of gender-based violence, and require immediate, holistic responses from humanitarian actors, the IOM statement said.

Although the known number most likely represents only a small portion of actual cases, IOM doctors have treated dozens of women since August, who have experienced violent sexual assault.

Since October 2016, IOM has treated or received reports from hundreds of Rohingya women and some men.

“IOM is supporting survivors but I cannot emphasize enough that attempting to understand the scale of gender-based violence through known case numbers alone is impossible. This type of egregious violence and abuse is under-reported even in the best resourced and most stable settings worldwide,” Swing said.

“In crises like this, where usual social systems and protections are no longer in place, many barriers stand in the way of survivors seeking support,” he also said, adding that IOM staff are working to break down these barriers and get to those who are most in need.
http://www.thedailystar.net/world/r...rohingya-people-rakhine-state-myanmar-1469023

Rohingya mothers and babies: Hungry and traumatised
Mothers recount giving birth as they fled, their children crying in hunger and their fears over long-term trauma.
Showkat Shafi | 28 Sep 2017 11:14 GMT | Rohingya, Humanitarian crises, Human Rights, Bangladesh, Myanmar
Myanmar
army attacked her village and started indiscriminately killing villagers.

Members of the persecuted Rohingya community, Sameron, her husband, Anwar, and their three-year-old daughter, Sabiha, fled their home in Rajarbill in Myanmar's Rakhine state. It was August 25.

Heavily pregnant, Sameron ran and walked through the night with her family.
25acbd6eb4f2444d8e4128ce33a9fd3e_18.jpg

Sameron holds her newborn daughter Sadiha [Showkat Shafi/Al Jazeera]
"In the morning, we reached a village named Itella," she recalls. "The village was deserted after the army had attacked it."

They found an abandoned house with enough food items inside it to sustain them for five days.

But then the army came again. "We escaped," says Sameron.

The next stage of their journey was the hardest. The family walked for an entire day and night without any food or water.

"I don't even want to think about that pain," she says. "I had constant pain in my stomach and I was feeling sick. In the middle of this journey, I started having unbearable pain in my stomach and I would sit down and crouch in an effort to reduce it. I had gone into labour."

Tears well in her eyes as she recalls it.

"It was the most terrifying phase of my life. I somehow would keep breathing and walking. My husband would carry me and then carry my daughter, who had also started crying from the pain of walking. We were all weeping from pain, desperation and hunger."
MORE: Rohingya refugees search for shelter in Bangladesh
The family eventually reached the village of Mongni Para. There were still people living there and some of the old women helped to deliver Sameron's baby.

"We had to leave this village after five days. I was in no condition to walk but I somehow managed to reach a place from where we got on a boat to enter Bangladesh by crossing the Naf River. We had to pay 650,000 Kyat (around $477) to the boatman [for the rent of the entire boat]. He initially refused to take us because we didn't have enough money, but some people helped us," she says as she stands in a queue with her newborn daughter, waiting for medical treatment at a clinic that has been temporarily set up outside a mosque in the Bangladeshi port city of Cox's Bazar.

As a result of her strenuous journey and weak state, Sameron hasn't been able to breastfeed her baby, who she has named Sadiha. "There was hardly any food for any of us as we walked for days. How would I produce enough milk to breastfeed my daughter?" she asks.

Many others are in a similar situation.

Mayang Sari, a nutritionist with UNICEF, says "young mothers and children are the most vulnerable".

"The extremely stressful and hard conditions have led to mothers and children becoming traumatised," Sari adds. "This has made it difficult to breastfeed babies and this could become a bigger problem."
87bcaf63bb3147dfb587d2bb65c62338_8.jpg

Khalida, 20, with her one-year-old daughter Shahana. "It took us five days to reach here and I consider myself fortunate that my entire family is with me," she says. "The army had invaded our village and was burning houses and killing people. We also ran to save our lives and crossed over to Bangladesh on a boat. My husband goes out in the day to get relief material and food for us. I would want to go with him and get more food, but it's tough to stand in a queue with an infant and struggle to find food." [Showkat Shafi/Al Jazeera]
b917c481c1d6448582e5e80baeabefbf_8.jpg

Sona Mehar, 45, with her three-month-old daughter Mirana Begum. "I am taking care of my seven children alone," she says. "My husband was shot with a bullet in the shoulder and is getting treated in the hospital. I stand in the queue for the entire day with this baby in my arms to secure a meal." [Showkat Shafi/Al Jazeera]
5c5a040197cc4e04bbf2f01f802756b6_8.jpg

Twenty-five-year-old Haseena with her 18-month-old daughter, Muneera. "I came here with my husband and two children. We had only managed to take enough food to last us for two days. The rest of the days we walked hungry. I had to leave my cow behind, when we ran to save our lives. I wish I could have brought her with me." [Showkat Shafi/Al Jazeera]
06f0f0e2180f4db0b1e08fba2de5f13d_8.jpg

Hamida, 33, with her four-month-old nephew Yousuf. "His parents were killed. I grabbed him and brought him with me, [or] else he would have just died there alone," she says. "I have six children of my own and one of them is six months old. I have to breastfeed both of them because they cannot be given this food. It is hard for me because even I hardly get to eat one meal in a day." [Showkat Shafi/Al Jazeera]
50f1ffc7ce1d47b391053baaf02c6c5e_8.jpg

Sixteen-year-old Bushra Begum with her three-month-old son Mohammad Kaisar. "We crossed over to Bangladesh on foot. It took us 10 days to reach this refugee camp in Kutupalong," she says. "I am worried for my son. I think this journey has emotionally traumatised him. He has drunk only a little milk since the day we escaped from our home. The journey was tough and there were days we went without food, and this also affected his health." [Showkat Shafi/Al Jazeera]
a5121156ebd24d46980a1ae5b0da8d2c_8.jpg

Hamida, 35, with her one-year-old son, Mohammad Alam. "They murdered my husband. I had to run to save the lives of my five small children. I have nobody to help me get the relief material and food. I need the food packets desperately to feed my children. I have been waiting in a queue for the past three hours and haven't been able to secure anything. The men are healthy and stronger and they jump and grab any aid that is thrown towards us, while women like me keep waiting," she says. [Showkat Shafi/Al Jazeera]
b22cb6df99c44b858aa7392fdbc8bc09_8.jpg

Twenty-four-year-old Tahira with her seven-month-old daughter Rusma Akhtar. "We were sleeping in the night at our home when we heard screams outside. We saw fire everywhere outside and people screaming and running around. My husband grabbed my daughter and we ran out with others," she recalls. "All my belongings must have been destroyed. I wish I had managed to get our big family photo from the wall." [Showkat Shafi/Al Jazeera]
589cc390048349bf80c02fcf19169cb3_8.jpg

Shams-un-Nehar, 35, with her two-month-old twins, Eesa and MusaI. "I have 10 more children apart from these two and we walked for three days to reach the border. We did not get to eat a single morsel of food in these three days and I was as a result not able to breastfeed my twins. They kept wailing in thirst and hunger. It was so frustrating and painful to see them starve like this in front of me," she says. [Showkat Shafi/Al Jazeera]
ed566a81c6c24f5bb1c3a27c6708756c_8.jpg

Yaemeena Ara, 30, with six-month-old daughter Rohana. "Our village was attacked on Eid last month, and we escaped that day. It took us five days and nights to reach here. I have six children, including her. My husband and I had to carry each child in our arms and on our shoulders, in order to cross into Bangladesh, as they could not walk for so long." [Showkat Shafi/Al Jazeera]
a56106450a984c3da6d373a0bb9acbcb_18.jpg

Inside the hospital treating Rohingya refugees
In a Bangladeshi hospital, Rohingya are treated for wounds sustained when the Myanmar army burned down their homes.
Topic: Rohingya, Myanmar, Bangladesh, Refugees, Asia Pacific
ca1a254f5a8c4d9db7b541468392d29e_18.jpg

'Who will take us?': Myanmar's fleeing Rohingya Muslims
Forced out of their home country, Rohingya Muslims share their experiences of crossing to Bangladesh.
Topic: Asia, Myanmar, Rohingya, Human Rights, Humanitarian crises
http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/in...abies-hungry-traumatised-170925084205580.html

01:15 PM, September 28, 2017 / LAST MODIFIED: 02:18 PM, September 28, 2017
Why China, Russia should back UN action against Myanmar
rohingya_cries.jpg

A Rohingya refugee cries as he holds his 40-day-old son, who died as a boat capsized in the shore of Shah Porir Dwip while crossing the Bangladesh-Myanmar border, in Teknaf, on September 14, 2017. Photo: Reuters
Shakhawat Liton
Political memories are wafer thin. Three years ago when the UN Security Council held a discussion on the occasion of the twentieth commemoration of Rwanda genocide, China and Russia joined other members of the council to air their voices against genocide. With their support the UNSC unanimously passed a strongly worded resolution renewing its commitment to fight against genocide.

But three years down the line, the global body now found the duo changed their stance to take action against what the UN termed "a textbook case of ethnic cleansing" in Myanmar. In March this year, China backed by Russia vetoed an UNSC resolution to censure Myanmar government for atrocities against Rohingya by the security forces. After eruption of the ongoing violence against Rohingya last month, China and Russia again sided with Myanmar. Their stance put the UN at a risk of being failed again to deliver on its core goal--prevention of genocide.

Lack of political commitment of the big nations enjoying veto power in the UNSC made the world body unable to stop genocides in some countries in past. But an appalling failure in Rwanda causing massacre of 800,000 people in only 100 days in 1994 forced the UN and other world leaders to seek apology for this.
READ MORE: UN Security Council meets Thursday on Rohingya crisis
Twenty years after the genocide in Rwanda, the Security Council in 2014 unanimously passed the resolution and condemned without reservation any denial of the genocide and called for international cooperation for timely prevention and punishment of the crime of genocide.

Before passage of the resolution, China and Russia along with other members of the UNSC issued strong worded statements against genocide and renewed its commitment to fight it.

Chinese diplomat Wang Min said the unprecedented carnage that occurred in Rwanda should be remembered forever. Lessons learned from the genocide in Rwanda had been considered by the international community to improvements in conflict prevention and resolution, he said.

"Preventing genocide also required that Governments protected their civilians and that all parties abide by humanitarian law. For its part, the international community should acquire a deep understanding of the situation on the ground, as well as strengthen coordination efforts for protecting civilians," he asserted.

The Russian diplomat, Vitally Churkin, said the tragic events in Rwanda should have and could have been prevented. The Second World War's harsh lessons learned from horrific Nazi actions against his and other countries had demonstrated that the signs of genocide should have been recognized in other situations. And yet, the international community had failed to see genocide as it unfolded in Rwanda, he added.

"The United Nations had truly betrayed Rwanda and the cost of inaction was 1 million lives. Those mistakes of the past must be corrected. It was important to among other things recognise and prevent incitement of violence over ethnic differences," he said.

The diplomat of France, Gerard Araud, though his country along with USA prevented the UN from intervening timely to stop Rwanda genocide also said the Security Council must renew its commitment to do everything possible, so that the lessons of the horrors of the past were not repeated.

The statements made by the diplomats of China and Russia demonstrated their concerns about genocide. But their present stance on Myanmar does not match with that spirit.

Ahead of the UNSC's today's meeting on Rohingya issue, the one positive thing is that in the wake of global outcry China and Russia has relaxed to some extent their stances on Myanmar two weeks before. This development helped the Security Council to issue a statement in middle of September asking Myanmar to end violence.

But the call fell flat. This means a mere call can not put enough pressure on the Myanmar government and military to stop atrocities against Rohingyas. The world body must take tougher actions like imposing sanction on Myanmar and for this support of China and Russia is a must. The duo should honour their commitment they made in 2014 along with other members of the Security Council and back the Security Council's move to take any strong action to end "the ethnic cleansing" in Myanmar. If they fail to do so, they will be blamed for the UN's failure to prevent the genocide in Myanmar as USA and France were held largely responsible for the global body's failure in Rwanda.
http://www.thedailystar.net/world/r...tions-security-council-action-myanmar-1468975

Conflict-hit Rakhine a magnet for Chinese cash
Agence France-Presse
Published at 05:04 PM September 28, 2017
000_SU9JP-690x450.jpg

This picture taken on September 27, 2017 shows burnt houses in Maungdaw in Myanmar's northern Rakhine state AFP
Rakhine, a vast area of farmland, coast and off-shore gas reserves, has been roiled by communal violence for decades, pitting ethnic Rakhine Buddhists against Rohingya Muslims
Battered by global outrage over an army crackdown on Rohingya, Myanmar has found comfort in an old friend – China, an Asian superpower whose unflinching support is tied to the billions it has lavished on ports, gas and oil in violence-hit Rakhine state.

Close to half a million Rohingya have fled to Bangladesh in the last month after a militant attack sparked a vicious military campaign that the UN has called “ethnic cleansing”.

China, which is expected to speak later Thursday at a UN Security Council meeting on the crisis, has fallen out of step with much of the world in condemning the army-led crackdown.

“We think the international community should support the efforts of Myanmar in safeguarding the stability of its national development,” foreign ministry spokesman Geng Shuang said earlier this month.

That support was far from unexpected from an ally who ploughed cash into Myanmar even as its economy choked under a half century of military rule and US sanctions.

Most of those sanctions were rolled back in 2014 as a reward for democratic elections. But those freedoms meant little to Beijing anyway.

Between 1988 and 2014, China invested more than $15 billion in the junta-run country, according to its official Xinhua news agency, mostly in mining and energy. It also propped up the pariah military regime with weapons.

“They have a few major economic projects under way with the Myanmar government,” said Sophie Boisseau du Rocher, Southeast Asia expert at the French Institute for International Relations.

That includes a planned $9 billion deep-sea port and economic zone in Kyaukpyu, south of the epicentre of the recent violence, by Beijing’s massive CITIC investment group slated for 2038.

China has already pumped money into the restive state.

In April this year, a $2.45 billion pipeline from Rakhine to China’s Yunnan province opened, securing a key route for Beijing to import crude from the Middle East.

That same month, Chinese President Xi Jinping, whose ‘One Belt, One Road’ strategy aims to hook in China’s neighbours with huge trade and infrastructure projects, rolled out the red carpet for his Myanmar counterpart Htin Kyaw in Beijing.
Valuable land
Rakhine, a vast area of farmland, coast and off-shore gas reserves, has been roiled by communal violence for decades, pitting ethnic Rakhine Buddhists against Rohingya Muslims.

Clashes erupted last October when the Arakan Rohingya Salvation Army (ARSA) carried out deadly attacks on unsuspecting border police.

Swathes of land have been abandoned with scores of Rohingya villages burnt to the ground allegedly by the Burmese army and Rakhine mobs.

“The land freed by the radical expulsion of the Rohingya might have become of interest to the military and its role in leading economic development around the country,” said Saskia Sassen, sociology professor at Columbia University.

“Land has become valuable due to the China projects,” she added.

The government said this week it would manage all fire-damaged land in Rakhine for “redevelopment” purposes, without elaborating.

It is not clear what that might mean for the masses of Rohingya who have been pushed into Bangladesh over the past month, with questions looming about how or when they could return.

Despite its natural resources, Rakhine is one of Myanmar’s poorest states – some 78% of the population live below the poverty line, nearly double the national average.

Ethnic Rakhine, who remain deeply suspicious of the motives of Myanmar’s Bamar majority, have seen scant benefits from increased investment in the area.

There is also discomfort among the public with Chinese influence across Myanmar.

“These massive Chinese projects in Rakhine state have deeply upset local populations who have not seen any positive fallout,” said Alexandra De Mersan, Rakhine expert and researcher at the French School of Oriental Studies (Inalco).

An August report by a government-backed commission on Rakhine’s troubles, led by former UN chief Kofi Annan, echoed alarm about who is really benefiting from investments in the area.

But Myanmar’s de facto leader Aung San Suu Kyi has said that development is a top priority for the region, even as rights groups have warned against investing in Rakhine.
http://www.dhakatribune.com/world/south-asia/2017/09/28/conflict-hit-rakhine-magnet-chinese-cash/

Economic geopolitics of the Rakhine crisis
M Sakhawat Hossain | Update: 19:45, Sep 28, 2017
643xNx991c4269d67e89d8c80c32e4e43bbc3a-15d4bd5c45887bd61a99f0796f211b63-59cc9fcfc65c5.jpg.pagespeed.ic.r3PYmJKb-7.jpg

The total number of Rohingya presently in Bangladesh, driven out of Myanmar recently and previously, exceeds 900,000. This is a difficult crisis for an over-populated country like Bangladesh, though it has no hand in the matter. Speaking at the United Nations General Assembly, Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina appealed to the world conscience and the Organisation of Islamic Countries (OIC) to come forward resolve the matter.

Other than Turkey, Malaysia and Indonesia, no other OIC member has put pressure on the Myanmar government. The European Union has issued strong warnings against ethnic cleansing, but has taken no effective measures to do anything about the issue. The UK has imposed a degree of pressure. The US has condemned the atrocities and has committed assistance for the Rohingya refugees. India has sent relief too. But India, China and Russia have sided with Myanmar. Though the UN has taken a stand supporting Bangladesh, nothing tangible can be done without the cooperation of these big powers.

The support of these countries in favour of Myanmar is shaped by economic and geopolitical interests in the region. These reasons make Myanmar more important to them than their bilateral relations with Bangladesh.

Bangladesh has resolved India’s major geographical limitations. We have long-standing economic, military and trade ties with China. The present government took great strides to improve relations with Russia, which include purchase of US$ 1 billion worth of arms and cooperation in the nuclear sector. Both India and Russia lent their full support during Bangladesh war of liberation.

Despite all of this, they have sided with Myanmar. One must understand the geopolitical and economic stand of these countries in connection with Myanmar to understand their present position concerning the ethnic cleansing and atrocities in Myanmar.

In context of India’s ‘Act East’ the country has several projects centred in Myanmar. From a geopolitical stand, one of their main objectives is to counter China’s extended influence in the Bay of Bengal off the shore of the Rakhine state. Their biggest challenge to China here is the Kaladan Multi-Modal Transport Project. The Modi government has released US$ 500 million for the project so far.

The Kaladan Multi-Modal Transit Transport Project is a project that will connect with the Sittwe seaport in Rakhine State, Myanmar by sea. In Myanmar, it will then link Sittwe seaport to Paletwa via the Kaladan river boat route, and then from Paletwa by road to the India-China border. It will then go on to the Indian state of Mizoram. Once the Kaladan project is complete, South Bay of Bengal will be used to transport cargo from Haldia in Kolkata to Sittwe. China has significant presence here.

India has two major geopolitical viewpoints in this regard.
Firstly, it has its eyes on China’s One Belt One Rood project. It wants to curb China’s influence in this region. In the meanwhile, on 17 July for the first time China took unrefined Saudi oil by pipeline up to Kunming.

India’s second objective is to reduce the use of the Siliguri corridor, referred to as the Chicken Neck in geopolitical jargon, and create a strategic alternative route.

The Chicken Neck of Siliguri Corridor was the only connecting route between India and its northeast states. It is just an 18 mile stretch between Bangladesh and Nepal and very close to the Chinese border.

It may be recalled that the Akhaura-Tripura road link has been established via Bangladesh’s Bhairab and a railway link is underway. This linkage will reduce India’s dependence on the Siliguri corridor.

The long-standing bone of contention between India and China is China’s claim to a northern part of Arunachal. China still retains this claim. Only recently, Indian and Chinese troops confronted each other at Dokhlam, a connecting point at Bhutan. These tensions have egged India on further for a separate route and the Kaladan project can even be an alternative to the proposed corridor through Bangladesh.

On top of this all, India is on the best of terms with Myanmar’s present military and civil leaders. The Myanmar army chief Min Aung Hlaing paid an eight-day visit to India in 2015. And when the homes of Rohingyas in Rakhine were being burnt down, Myanmar’s naval chief was visited India and won Indian support. Military cooperation between India and Myanmar has been expanded.

India has proposed selling patrol boats to the Myanmar navy and has also committed selling arms to the military. Delhi’s geostrategic analysts say that while the whole world is castigating Myanmar for its atrocities, India is siding with it in order to counter China’s influence.

India is rid Rakhine of Rohingyas in its own interests. They regard Rohingyas as a risk factor. Even though the Rohingyas are in such a distressed state, the Indian government has ordered that 40,000 of them be sent back. The Indian judiciary has halted this move for the time being, but their fate in India will be decided upon shortly.

China is still ahead of India in its influence over Myanmar. It has established and begun operating a fuel oil terminal in the Rakhine region. This pipeline is a long-standing plan of China to ensure its geostrategic presence in the Bay of Bengal.

A natural gas pipeline has been laid down parallel to the oil pipeline. A total of 12 billion cubic metres of gas flows through the pipeline annually, of which 20 per cent is used by Myanmar. US$ 2.5 billion has been invested in this pipeline alone. In all, investment of US$ 18 billion has been planned for the Rakhine state.

There had been a lot of opposition to the Chinese pipeline in the Rakhine state due to land acquisition, environmental harm and disruption of the fishermen’s livelihood. The Myanmar government dealt with this firmly and removed the Rohingyas to settle them in two camps in a camp near Sittwe.

Security has been stepped up for the pipeline not just in Rakhine, but cantonments have been established all over the region. In Rakhine alone there are three regional commands. The 16 Light Infantry Division’s 10 Infantry Battalion is in charge of Operation Clearance against the Rohingyas. The army chief himself is in overall charge. Laying this pipeline, and particularly setting up the oil terminal, is a move by China to bypass the Malacca strait.
* M Sakhawat Hossain is former Election Commissioner, columnist and PhD researcher and can be contacted at hhintlbd@yahoo.com.
This piece, originally published in Prothom Alo Bangla print edition, has been rewritten in English by Ayesha Kabir.
http://en.prothom-alo.com/opinion/news/161171/Economic-geopolitics-of-the-Rakhine-crisis

Uncertainty looms over the Rohingya return
Abdur Rahman Khan
The United Nations refugee chief called on Wednesday for the plight of up to 800,000 Rohingya refugees in Bangladesh to be resolved, saying the “big question” was whether they would be allowed to return to their homeland.

Filippo Grandi, UN High Commissioner for Refugees, speaking in Geneva on return from a visit to Bangladesh, said that he hoped to discuss the issue of statelessness of Rohingya with Myanmar authorities at a meeting in Geneva next week.
“It is very clear the cause of this crisis is in Myanmar but that the solution is also in Myanmar,” he told a news conference in Geneva. He warned that “the risk of spread of terrorist violence in this particular region is very, very high” unless the issue are resolved.
The Buddhist Terror
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Monday accused the security forces in Myanmar of waging a “Buddhist terror” against the Rohingya Muslim minority in the country, hundreds of thousands of whom have fled to neighboring Bangladesh.

Erdogan, who has repeatedly highlighted the plight of the Rohingya, again accused the Myanmar government of carrying out “genocide” against the people in Rakhine state. In a speech in Istanbul, Erdogan lamented the failure of the international community to lay sanctions against the Myanmar government over its campaign.

“There is a very clear genocide over there,” Erdogan said. Erdogan, who has held talks by phone with Myanmar’s key leader the Nobel Peace Prize winner Aung Sang Suu Kyi, added: “Buddhists always get represented as envoys of goodwill.” “At the moment, there is a clear Buddhist terror in Myanmar... I don’t know how you can gloss over this with yoga, schmoga. This is a fact here. And all humanity needs to know this.”

More than 430,000 Rohingya Muslims have fled across the border to Bangladesh from a military campaign which the UN says likely amounts to ethnic cleansing of the stateless minority. Before the most recent surge of violence, there were over one million Rohingyas in Myanmar’s restive Rakhine state in the west of the overwhelmingly Buddhist country.

Erdogan, himself a pious Muslim, takes a sharp interest in the fate of Muslim communities across the world and notably sees himself as a champion of the Palestinian cause. Returning for a key personal theme, he lambasted the international community for being quick to denounce “Islamic terror” but not “Christian terror”, “Jewish terror” or “Buddhist terror”.
World Bank offers grant
Meanwhile, the World Bank offered grants to Bangladesh for programmes exclusively for the Rohingya refugees, “The World Bank stands ready to support the government in addressing the growing refugee crisis if the government seeks the World Bank’s assistance,” WB Country Director Qimiao Fan told reporters at his office in Dhaka.

He made the comments while speaking at the release of the Bangladesh Development Update. Zahid Hussain, lead economist of the WB Bangladesh, delivered the keynote presentation. Qimiao said the money would come from a new window opened under the current round of the WB’s cheap loans for the poor countries.

The bank in its first-ever move of such kind has allocated $2 billion for the sub-window for refugees within the International Development Association (IDA) for those seeking refuge in different parts of the world, under which any nation can get a maximum share of $400 million.
Dhaka wants strong UNSC action
However, Dhaka wants the UN Security Council to take “strong stance and swift action” to end the “ethnic cleansing” in Myanmar and to restore peace and stability in the strife-torn Rakhine State to facilitate a smooth return of Rohingyas.

“We expect such concrete steps through which the forcibly displaced people from Myanmar can return to their homeland smoothly and without any fear,” Foreign Minister AH Mahmood Ali said on Wednesday.

He made the comment after briefing the Dhaka-based diplomats of the Security Council member countries ahead of the UNSC’s meeting Thursday to discuss the violence in Myanmar and hear a briefing from UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on the crisis.

Bangladesh is scheduled to put across its case to the UN Security Council debate as countries which are not UNSC members can give their speeches in the open debate beginning Thursday.
Britain, France, the US and four other countries—Sweden, Egypt, Senegal, and Kazakhstan—have requested the meeting after around half a million Rohingyas, fled a military crackdown in Myanmar since August 25 and crossed into Bangladesh.

UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Zeid Ra’ad Al Hussein has called the security operation as “a textbook example of ethnic cleansing” and French President Emmanuel Macron last week went further, calling it “genocide.”

The diplomatic briefing held at state guesthouse Meghna was attended by the envoys of five UNSC permanent members—the US, the UK, France, Russia and China—and four non-permanent members—Japan, Italy, Sweden and Egypt.

Amid fear that China and Russia may veto any strong statement or resolution, which may come out from the UNSC meeting, Dhaka had hectic talks with the envoys of the two countries in Dhaka and New York.

Bangladeshi envoys also met foreign ministry officials in Moscow and Beijing to persuade them to refrain from any move against the ongoing humanitarian crisis which is adversely affecting Bangladesh.
http://www.weeklyholiday.net/Homepage/Pages/UserHome.aspx

UN: Myanmar violence could spread, displace more Rohingya
Reuters
Published at 01:47 AM September 29, 2017
Last updated at 01:48 AM September 29, 2017
000_SW6ET-690x450.jpg

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres speaks as the Security Council holds a meeting to discuss the violence in Myanmar at the United Nations in New York on September 28, 2017AFP
Secretary General condemned the humanitarian nightmare for Myanmar's Rohingya and demanded that the government end military operations and open humanitarian access to its conflict-wracked western region
United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres warned on Thursday that the violence against Myanamar’s Rohingya Muslims in the northern part of Rakhine state could spread to central Rakhine, where 250,000 more people were at risk of displacement.

Guterres told the UN Security Council during its first public meeting on Myanmar in eight years, that the violence had spiralled into the “world’s fastest developing refugee emergency, a humanitarian and human rights nightmare.”

“We have received bone-chilling accounts from those who fled – mainly women, children and the elderly,” he said. “These testimonials point to excessive violence and serious violations of human rights, including indiscriminate firing of weapons, the use of landmines against civilians and sexual violence.”
DK1YZlWXkAEJr_d.jpg:small

✔@UN_Spokesperson

.@antonioguterres warns situation in #Myanmar is breeding ground for radicalization, calls on Security Council to support peace efforts.
More than 500,000 Rohingya have fled to Bangladesh in the past month since insurgents attacked security posts near the border, triggering fierce Myanmar military retaliation that the United Nations has branded ethnic cleansing.

Sweden, the United States, Britain, France, Egypt, Senegal, and Kazakhstan requested Thursday’s council meeting.

Guterres demanded immediate humanitarian aid access to areas affected by the violence and expressed concern “by the current climate of antagonism towards the United Nations” and aid groups.

“The failure to address this systematic violence could result in a spill-over into central Rakhine, where an additional 250,000 Muslims could potentially face displacement,” Guterres said.

“The crisis has generated multiple implications for neighbouring States and the larger region, including the risk of inter-communal strife. We should not be surprised if decades of discrimination and double standards in treatment of the Rohingya create openings for radicalisation,” he said.

http://www.thedailystar.net/frontpage/myanmar-rohingya-refugee-crisis-humanitarian-nightmare-1469506

UN: Myanmar violence could spread, displace more Rohingya
Reuters
Published at 01:47 AM September 29, 2017
Last updated at 01:48 AM September 29, 2017
000_SW6ET-690x450.jpg

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres speaks as the Security Council holds a meeting to discuss the violence in Myanmar at the United Nations in New York on September 28, 2017AFP
Secretary General condemned the humanitarian nightmare for Myanmar's Rohingya and demanded that the government end military operations and open humanitarian access to its conflict-wracked western region
United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres warned on Thursday that the violence against Myanamar’s Rohingya Muslims in the northern part of Rakhine state could spread to central Rakhine, where 250,000 more people were at risk of displacement.

Guterres told the UN Security Council during its first public meeting on Myanmar in eight years, that the violence had spiralled into the “world’s fastest developing refugee emergency, a humanitarian and human rights nightmare.”

“We have received bone-chilling accounts from those who fled – mainly women, children and the elderly,” he said. “These testimonials point to excessive violence and serious violations of human rights, including indiscriminate firing of weapons, the use of landmines against civilians and sexual violence.”
DK1YZlWXkAEJr_d.jpg:small

✔@UN_Spokesperson

.@antonioguterres warns situation in #Myanmar is breeding ground for radicalization, calls on Security Council to support peace efforts.
More than 500,000 Rohingya have fled to Bangladesh in the past month since insurgents attacked security posts near the border, triggering fierce Myanmar military retaliation that the United Nations has branded ethnic cleansing.

Sweden, the United States, Britain, France, Egypt, Senegal, and Kazakhstan requested Thursday’s council meeting.

Guterres demanded immediate humanitarian aid access to areas affected by the violence and expressed concern “by the current climate of antagonism towards the United Nations” and aid groups.

“The failure to address this systematic violence could result in a spill-over into central Rakhine, where an additional 250,000 Muslims could potentially face displacement,” Guterres said.

“The crisis has generated multiple implications for neighbouring States and the larger region, including the risk of inter-communal strife. We should not be surprised if decades of discrimination and double standards in treatment of the Rohingya create openings for radicalisation,” he said.

http://www.thedailystar.net/frontpage/myanmar-rohingya-refugee-crisis-humanitarian-nightmare-1469506

Finding the humanity
SAM Staff, September 29, 2017

daily-logo.jpg

Thirty one Rohingya Muslim refugees have unwittingly become the epicentre of controversy after a group of hardline nationalists including Buddhist monks attacked a detention centre that they had made their temporary home after a court order handed them over to the UN Human Rights Council (UNHRC).

The refugees, who were arrested in April along with two suspected Indian traffickers in a boat in Sri Lankan seas, were taken into protective custody and then to a detention centre outside Colombo. This detention centre was then attacked by an extremist group claiming the refugees were “terrorists.” Such a charge is wrong to the point of ludicrousness and they were in Sri Lanka with the knowledge and contest of the Sri Lankan Government.

The Rohingya group fled Myanmar in 2012 and lived in India as refugees for nearly five years before trying to migrate illegally, according to reports. These are people who have already lost their homes and their lives and yet they were not allowed to remain peacefully by an organisation with twisted interests.

It is truly disappointing that a country which has known war and has sent thousands of their own citizens as refugees to neighbouring countries could not find a vestige of empathy for these people. It is high time that Buddhism, a religion that preaches tolerance, humanity and charity, should be used as an excuse by elements that will never stand for the best interests of Sri Lanka or its people.

Too long Sri Lankan authorities have stood by without taking full action against such organisations. This has led to perceived impunity and it is time they are dealt with by the strictest legal provisions and action is taken to ensure these sorts of demonstrations are never allowed again.

Tens of thousands Muslim Rohingya have fled mostly Buddhist Myanmar since 2012. Tension between majority Buddhists and Rohingya, most of whom are denied citizenship, has simmered for decades in Rakhine, but it has exploded several times over the past few years, as old enmities, and Buddhist nationalism, surfaced with the end of decades of harsh military rule.

About 480,000 Rohingyas have fled to Bangladesh since October, straining relations between the two neighbours who each see the stateless Muslim minority as the other nation’s problem.

Often they have no choice but to leave their homes, and they must have unhindered access to basic human rights, in particular the right to protection and healthcare.

Behind every statistic, there is a story – of a mother seeking safety and security for her children, a boy forced to be a man and seek work to support his ailing parents, a girl running from rape and abuse by armed combatants, a father seeking a safe and dignified life for his family, a child who wants to be able to play and go to school. Basic needs that are often taken for granted. The dangerous journey they undertake to a better life costs more than anyone of us can afford.

Refugees should receive humane and fair treatment. Their dignity, human rights, safety and wellbeing must be protected, regardless of where they’re coming from or where they’re going.
SOURCE DAILY FT
http://southasianmonitor.com/2017/09/29/finding-the-humanity/

Has the UN failed Myanmar's Rohingya Muslims?
By Jonah FisherBBC News, Yangon
_98047668_041772168.jpg

Image copyright AFP
Image caption Hundreds of thousands of Rohingya are sheltering in refugee camps in Bangladesh
The UN leadership in Myanmar tried to stop the Rohingya rights issue being raised with the government, sources in the UN and aid community told the BBC.

One former UN official said the head of the UN in Myanmar (Burma) tried to prevent human rights advocates from visiting sensitive Rohingya areas.

More than 500,000 Rohingya have fled an offensive by the military, with many now sheltering in camps in Bangladesh.
The UN in Myanmar "strongly disagreed" with the BBC findings.

In the month since Rohingya Muslims began flowing into Bangladesh, the UN has been at the forefront of the response. It has delivered aid and made robust statements condemning the Burmese authorities.

But sources within the UN and the aid community both in Myanmar and outside have told the BBC that, in the four years before the current crisis, the head of the United Nations Country Team (UNCT), a Canadian called Renata Lok-Dessallien:
  • tried to stop human rights activists travelling to Rohingya areas
  • attempted to shut down public advocacy on the subject
  • isolated staff who tried to warn that ethnic cleansing might be on the way.
One aid worker, Caroline Vandenabeele, had seen the warning signs before. She worked in Rwanda in the run-up to the genocide in late 1993 and early 1994 and says when she first arrived in Myanmar she noticed worrying similarities.

"I was with a group of expats and Burmese business people talking about Rakhine and Rohingya and one of the Burmese people just said 'we should kill them all as if they are just dogs'. For me, this level of dehumanisation of humans is one sign that you have reached a level of acceptance in society that this is normal."
UN demands access amid Myanmar 'nightmare'
Myanmar postpones diplomats' Rakhine visit
For more than a year I have been corresponding with Ms Vandenabeele, who has served in conflict areas such as Afghanistan, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Rwanda and Nepal.

Between 2013 and 2015 she had a crucial job in the UNCT in Myanmar. She was head of office for what is known as the resident co-ordinator, the top UN official in the country, currently Ms Dessallien.

The job gave Ms Vandenabeele a front-row seat as the UN grappled with how to respond to rising tensions in Rakhine state.

Back in 2012, clashes between Rohingya Muslims and Rakhine Buddhists left more than 100 dead and more than 100,000 Rohingya Muslims in camps around the state capital, Sittwe.

Truth, lies and Aung San Suu Kyi
'Torture' of Myanmar Muslim minority - UN
Since then, there have been periodic flare-ups and, in the past year, the emergence of a Rohingya militant group. Attempts to deliver aid to the Rohingya have been complicated by Rakhine Buddhists who resent the supply of aid for the Rohingya, at times blocking it and even attacking aid vehicles.
_98047673_042022414.jpg

Image copyright REUTERS
Image caption Some Rohingya villages in northern Rakhine state have been razed
It presented a complex emergency for the UN and aid agencies, who needed the co-operation of the government and the Buddhist community to get basic aid to the Rohingya.

At the same time they knew that speaking up about the human rights and statelessness of the Rohingya would upset many Buddhists.

So the decision was made to focus on a long-term strategy. The UN and the international community prioritised long-term development in Rakhine in the hope that eventually increased prosperity would lead to reduced tensions between the Rohingya and the Buddhists.
Top UN official in Myanmar to be changed
'Mass Hindu grave' found in Rakhine state
Reality Check: Fake photos of Myanmar violence
For UN staff it meant that publicly talking about the Rohingya became almost taboo. Many UN press releases about Rakhine avoided using the word completely. The Burmese government does not even use the word Rohingya or recognise them as a distinct group, preferring to call them "Bengalis".

During my years reporting from Myanmar, very few UN staff were willing to speak frankly on the record about the Rohingya. Now an investigation into the internal workings of the UN in Myanmar has revealed that even behind closed doors the Rohingyas' problems were put to one side.
_98048327_464x2.jpg

Where have the Rohingya fled to
_98011553_myanmar_bangladesh_refugee_640_v1-nc.png
_98048327_464x2.jpg

Multiple sources in Myanmar's aid community have told the BBC that at high-level UN meetings in Myanmar any question of asking the Burmese authorities to respect the Rohingyas' human rights became almost impossible.
Who will help Myanmar's Rohingya?
Ms Vandenabeele said it soon became clear to everyone that raising the Rohingyas' problems, or warning of ethnic cleansing in senior UN meetings, was simply not acceptable.

"Well you could do it but it had consequences," she said. "And it had negative consequences, like you were no longer invited to meetings and your travel authorisations were not cleared. Other staff were taken off jobs - and being humiliated in meetings. An atmosphere was created that talking about these issues was simply not on."

Repeat offenders, like the head of the UN's Office for the Co-ordination for Humanitarian Assistance (UNOCHA) were deliberately excluded from discussions.

Ms Vandenabeele told me she was often instructed to find out when the UNOCHA representative was out of town so meetings could be held at those times. The head of UNOCHA declined to speak to the BBC but it has been confirmed by several other UN sources inside Myanmar.

Ms Vandenabeele said she was labelled a troublemaker and frozen out of her job for repeatedly warning about the possibility of Rohingya ethnic cleansing. This version of events has not been challenged by the UN.

Attempts to restrict those talking about the Rohingya extended to UN officials visiting Myanmar. Tomas Quintana is now the UN special rapporteur for human rights in North Korea but for six years, until 2014, held that same role for Myanmar.

Speaking from Argentina, he told me about being met at Yangon airport by Ms Dessallien.

"I received this advice from her - saying you should not go to northern Rakhine state - please don't go there. So I asked why and there was not an answer in any respect, there was just the stance of not trying to bring trouble with the authorities, basically," he said.

"This is just one story, but it demonstrates what was the strategy of the UN Country Team in regards to the issue of the Rohingya."

Mr Quintana still went to northern Rakhine but said Ms Dessallien "disassociated" herself from his mission and he didn't see her again.

One senior UN staffer told me: "We've been pandering to the Rakhine community at the expense of the Rohingya.

"The government knows how to use us and to manipulate us and they keep on doing it - we never learn. And we can never stand up to them because we can't upset the government."
_98048331_042016163.jpg

Image copyright GETTY IMAGES
Image caption Many Rohingya fled by night into Bangladesh leaving everything behind
The UN's priorities in Rakhine were examined in a report commissioned by the UN in 2015 entitled "Slippery Slope: Helping Victims or Supporting Systems of Abuse".

Leaked to the BBC, it is damning of the UNCT approach.

"The UNCT strategy with respect to human rights focuses too heavily on the over-simplified hope that development investment itself will reduce tensions, failing to take into account that investing in a discriminatory structure run by discriminatory state actors is more likely to reinforce discrimination than change it."

There have been other documents with similar conclusions. With António Guterres as the new secretary general in New York, a former senior member of the UN was asked to write a memo for his team in April.

Titled "Repositioning the UN" the two-page document was damning in its assessment, calling the UN in Myanmar "glaringly dysfunctional".

In the weeks that followed the memo, the UN confirmed that Ms Dessallien was being "rotated" but stressed it was nothing to do with her performance. Three months on Ms Dessallien is still the UN's top official there after the Burmese government rejected her proposed successor.

"She has a fair view and is not biased," Shwe Mann, a former senior general and close ally of Myanmar's de facto leader Aung San Suu Kyi, told me. "Whoever is biased towards the Rohingyas, they won't like her and they will criticise her."

Ms Dessallien declined to give an interview to the BBC to respond to this article.

The UN in Myanmar said its approach was to be "fully inclusive" and ensure the participation of all relevant experts.

"We strongly disagree with the accusations that the resident co-ordinator 'prevented' internal discussions. The resident co-ordinator regularly convenes all UN agencies in Myanmar to discuss how to support peace and security, human rights, development and humanitarian assistance in Rakhine state," a statement from a UN spokesperson in Yangon said.

On Tomas Quintana's visits to Rakhine, the spokesperson said Ms Dessallien had "provided full support" in terms of personnel, logistics and security.

Ten ambassadors, including from Britain and the United States, wrote unsolicited emails to the BBC when they heard we were working on this report, expressing their support for Ms Dessallien.

There are those who see similarities between the UN's much-criticised role in Sri Lanka and what has happened in Myanmar. Charles Petrie wrote a damning report into the UN and Sri Lanka, and also served as the UN's top official in Myanmar (before being expelled in 2007).

He said the UN's response to the Rohingya over the past few years had been confused and that Ms Dessallien hadn't been given the mandate to bring all of the key areas together.

"I think the key lesson for Myanmar from Sri Lanka is the lack of a focal point. A senior level focal point addressing the situation in Myanmar in its totality - the political, the human rights, the humanitarian and the development. It remains diffuse. And that means over the last few years there have been almost competing agendas."

So might a different approach from the UN and the international community have averted the humanitarian disaster we are seeing now? It's hard to see how it might have deterred the Burmese army's massive response following the 25 August Rohingya militant attack.
_98048335_041971437.jpg

Image copyright AFP
Image caption Bangladesh says it is struggling to cope with the refugees
Ms Vandenabeele said she at least believed an early warning system she proposed might have provided some indications of what was about to unfold.

"It's hard to say which action would have been able to prevent this," she told me. "But what I know for sure is that the way it was done was never going to prevent it. The way it was done was simply ignoring the issue."

Mr Quintana said he wished the international community had pushed harder for some sort of transitional justice system as part of the move to a hybrid democratic government.

One source said the UN now appeared to be preparing itself for an inquiry into its response to Rakhine, and this could be similar to the inquiry that came after the controversial end to Sri Lanka's civil war - and which found it wanting.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-41420973

'One country, however, has expressed unwavering public support for the country and its policies. China supports Burma’s efforts to “uphold peace and stability,” a Chinese foreign ministry spokesperson said on Sept. 12.
That same week, to show support for the regime, Beijing opened a liaison office in Naypyidaw, the capital — a step other powerful nations have been reluctant to take because of the city’s isolation and its association with the former ruling junta.'

safe_image.php

Opinion | The one country that refuses to condemn the ethnic cleansing in Burma
Beijing's response to the crisis shows what a Chinese-led world will look like.
WASHINGTONPOST.COM

Rohingya: US demands prosecution of Myanmar officials
US ambassador's comments to UN Security Council come as more than 50 Rohingya are missing after their boat capsized.
947bc5293bf94dd4a56f6748178492b0_18.jpg

More than 500,000 Rohingya refugees have now escaped into Bangladesh [Showkat Shafi/Al Jazeera]
The United States says action must be taken against Myanmar's military leaders whose operations have forced 500,000 Rohingya Muslims to flee into Bangladesh.

UN chief calls for urgent end to Rohingya 'nightmare'
Nikki Haley, the US ambassador to the United Nations, accused Myanmar's authorities on Thursday of carrying out "a brutal, sustained campaign to cleanse the country of an ethnic minority".

"The time for well-meaning, diplomatic words in this council has passed," she told the UN Security Council, which held its first public meeting on Myanmar since 2009, though it failed to arrive at a resolution.

Haley's comments came as more than 50 Rohingya refugees were missing on Friday after their boat capsized in driving wind, rain, and high seas.

The UN's International Organisation for Migration said about 130 people were believed to have been on board. Bangladesh police said there were 27 survivors, 19 dead, and more than 50 missing.
READ MORE: UN chief calls for urgent end to 'Rohingya nightmare'
Using the country's former name Burma, Haley said, "We must now consider action against Burmese security forces who are implicated in abuses and stoking hatred among their fellow citizens."

It was the first time the United States had called for punishment of Myanmar's military leaders, but she stopped short of threatening to re-impose US sanctions that were suspended under the Obama administration.

Fleeing Rohingya refugees recall Myanmar attacks

Buddhist-majority Myanmar rejects accusations of ethnic cleansing and crimes against humanity and has denounced human rights abuses.

Its military launched a sweeping military offensive in response to coordinated attacks on the security forces by Rohingya insurgents in Rakhine state on August 25.

Haley said Myanmar's military must immediately remove and prosecute those accused of abuses. She said it also must allow unhindered humanitarian access for UN agencies and other relief organisations, and "commit to welcoming all who have been displaced to return to their original homes".

In what appeared to be a rebuke to the country's Nobel Peace Prize-winning leader Aung San Suu Kyi, Haley said of the Rohingya crisis, "it should shame senior Burmese leaders who have sacrificed so much for an open, democratic Burma".

Myanmar, however, received strong support from close ally China as well Russia.

"The international community must be aware of the difficulties faced by the Burmese government, be patient and provide its assistance," Chinese envoy Wu Haitao said.

Russian ambassador Vassily Nebenzia shifted the blame towards Rohingya fighters for "burning villages". "We must be very careful when we talk about ethnic cleansing and genocide," he said.

Nebenzia warned "excessive pressure" on Myanmar's government over the violence "could only aggravate the situation in the country and around it".
READ MORE: Scores of Rohingya feared drowned after boat capsizes
UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres told the Security Council the violence had spiralled into the "world's fastest developing refugee emergency, a humanitarian and human rights nightmare".

He previously called the Rohingya crisis "ethnic cleansing" but didn't repeat those words on Thursday. Instead he referred to "a deeply disturbing pattern" of violence leading to "large movements of an ethnic group".

Myanmar's national security adviser said the crisis in Rakhine state "is due to terrorism and is not based on religion", and he urged the Security Council not to take measures that exacerbate the situation. "There is no ethnic cleansing and no genocide in Myanmar," U Thaung Tun said.

Diplomats accompanied by the media will visit northern Rakhine on Monday, U Thaung Tun said.
The Stream - What is really happening to the Rohingya?
Source: News agencies
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/...cution-myanmar-officials-170929043932384.html

04:19 PM, September 29, 2017 / LAST MODIFIED: 04:35 PM, September 29, 2017
Investigate atrocities on Rohingyas, Bangladesh tells UN
rohingya-fatema-web.jpg

Fatema, a survivor, cries over the body of her nine month old son near Cox's Bazar on September 29, 2017. The boy had died after a boat with Rohingya refugees capsized in Bay Yesterday. Photo: Reuters
Star Online Report
Terming the atrocities in Myanmar as a result of “state failure”, Bangladesh has called upon the United Nations Security Council to fully examine the persecution of Rohingyas.
“Likewise, the new narratives of ‘Muslims-killing-Muslims’ or ‘Muslims-killing- Hindus’ should be seen as the State’s failure or abnegation of its primary responsibility to protect its civilians,” said Ambassador and permanent representative of Bangladesh to United Nations Masud Bin Momen.

In his statement to the UN Security Council Meeting on the “Situation in Myanmar” (under Rule 37) yesterday, he said, “Allegations and counter-allegations of various forms of atrocities, which amount to crimes against humanity, must be fully investigated by a Security Council-mandated fact-finding mission.”

He also alleged that reportedly more than two divisions of armed forces had been deployed by Myanmar in areas near our border since the first week of August 2017.

“Troops were spotted within 200 meters of the zero line, and heavy armaments and artillery are reportedly placed in close proximity of our border. There have been 19 reported incidents of Bangladesh’s air space violation by Myanmar helicopters and drones, including the latest one the day before yesterday,” he added, terming these as “repeated, unwarranted and wilful provocations”.

He also protested the remarks of Myanmar leaders who referred to the alleged extremists as ‘Bengali terrorists’.

“There is perhaps no taker for the baseless and malicious propaganda to project Rohingyas as ‘illegal immigrants from Bangladesh’. This is not only a blatant denial of the ethnic identity of the Rohingyas, but also an affront to Bengalis all over the world. This has to stop,” he added.

He also called upon the Council to examine whether military operations and consequent developments in northern Rakhine State point to any "threat to peace" and "breach of the peace" and what could be done to restore peace.
http://www.thedailystar.net/world/m...m_medium=newsurl&utm_term=all&utm_content=all

Exodus of hungry, haunted Rohingya continues
Abdul Aziz, Cox's Bazar
Published at 02:29 PM September 29, 2017
Last updated at 02:32 PM September 29, 2017
Taknaf-Rohingya-pic-02-690x450.jpg

Rohingya refuge seekers arriving in Shahporir Dwip are taken to Hariakhali Government Primary School in Teknaf's Sabrang union on September 29, 2017 Abdul Aziz
Thousands of Rohingya continue to flee Myanmar
Thousands of Rohingya – hungry, tired and traumatised from their harrowing experience in Myanmar and arduous journey to Bangladesh – have continued to gather at Teknaf’s Shahporir Dwip to flee persecution in Rakhine state which the UN has labelled as ethnic cleansing.

In the last four days, nearly 6,500 Rohingya men, women and children have landed there. Many of them, having lost their parents, children and relatives, were still haunted by the painful memories.

Members of the Bangladesh army were collecting information of the refuge seekers who were taken to Hariakhali Government Primary School in Teknaf’s Sabrang union. From there, they were given aid and sent to various camps in Ukhiya and Teknaf.

Dos Mohammad, 35, came from Maungdaw’s Sikdar Para with five members of his family. He crossed the river on a boat with 25 others Wednesday morning. He had to pay Tk10,000 for the ride.

Mariam Begum, waiting for relief on the school grounds, said the Myanmar army was continuing its persecution in Rakhine state. They torched houses couple of days ago. She said she was happy to have made it to Bangladesh with other members of her family.

But Abdullah was not so fortunate. The man from Ghonapara said he had to leave behind his parents and siblings. He crossed the Naf River with his two sons, daughter and wife.

“About a week ago, the army told us not to escape. But later, they made mass arrests and killed people. They raped and murdered the women and set our houses on fire,” he said, visibly shaken and exhausted.

Myanmar army’s violent offensive targeting the Rohingya followed insurgent attacks on police posts and an army base on August 25. More than half a million Rohingya have fled to Bangladesh since then.

The military and local mob have been burning and looting Rohingya villages while raping and killing their residents.

Buddhist-majority Myanmar has institutionalised discrimination against the mainly-Muslim ethnic group, which it does not recognise and see as illegal Bangladeshi immigrants.

Before the latest influx, Bangladesh already hosted around 400,000 Rohingya. Dhaka has been successfully building up global support to compel Naypyitaw to allow the Rohingya to return home.
http://www.dhakatribune.com/bangladesh/nation/2017/09/29/rohingya-exodus-continues/

Latest posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom