What's new

Richard Holbrooke, noted diplomat, is dead at 69

K^se

Reaction score
ABC News has learned that Richard Holbrooke, the US Special Representative to Afghanistan and Pakistan, has died.

On Friday, Holbrooke was rushed to the hospital with a torn aorta. He went through more than 20 hours of surgery. Earlier this evening, speaking at the US State Department, President Obama sang Holbrooke's praises and called him "a tough son of a gun."

Holbrooke, 69, was a former ambassador to the United Nations and served as chief negotiator at the Dayton Peace Accords, which ended the war in Bosnia.

The New Yorker's George Packer wrote a nice story about Holbrooke last year, which you can read HERE.

-I'm not going to talk about his politics whether or not I agreed with anything he did, on foreign issues. But it's a sad day in U.S politics, my condolences to his family..

WASHINGTON: Veteran US diplomat Richard Holbrooke, 69, the US special envoy for Afghanistan and Pakistan, has died after undergoing surgery after suffering a torn aorta, US media reported Monday.
Dawn.com

Rest in Peace,

Offer great service and played vital role during FATA refugee crisis ,also provide huge support during war against terror in Pakistan and Afghanistan.

I suggest an appropriate way to honor the memory of this very successful diplomat - one of the few to overcome America's traditional fear of "meddling in the Balkans" and furthermore do so successfully - is to purchase one of his books: Amazon.com: richard holbrooke

i kinda liked the old the geezer...America's WOT just went into deeper sh**T

i guess being dead has its advantages after all, everyone remembers you in kind words atleast once

rest in peace he did some good things to help Pakistan on wot..wonder who will replace him now!

RIP. The people of Bosnia are indebted to the diplomatic skills and bravery of this man.

Back
Top Bottom