What's new

Revamp DRDO?

marcos98

Reaction score
Will Antony finally revamp DRDO?

NEW DELHI: It’s finally time for defence minister A K Antony to decide whether he wants to let Defence Research and Development Organisation

(DRDO)’s time and cost overruns persist or initiate the long-delayed process of transforming it into an organisation capable of delivering cutting-edge weapon systems to the armed forces.

Antony will later this month get the final roadmap for DRDO’s restructuring as proposed by the P Rama Rao panel and subsequently vetted by a high-level committee led by defence secretary Pradeep Kumar.

“After several meetings, the defence secretary committee, which also had representation from Army, Navy and IAF as well as other stake-holders, will submit its recommendations to Antony before January-end. The aim is to make DRDO, which has a budget of Rs 8,481 crore this year, more effective,” said a top official.

Experts, however, say ‘mere tinkering’ will simply not do any longer. Instead, DRDO and its 51 labs need a drastic overhaul, along with a strong push for joint ventures and private sector participation to ensure India develops a robust industrial-military infrastructure. “For a country like India which has global aspirations and the third-largest standing armed forces in the world, it’s very embarrassing that over 70% of its military requirements have to be imported,” said a senior officer.

The Rama Rao report, on its part, stresses DRDO should concentrate only on 8 to 10 ‘critical technologies’ of ‘strategic importance’ instead of also venturing into making juices, mosquito repellents, titanium dental implants and the like:agree:. For this, a dozen or so of DRDO’s 51 labs should be hived off to other ministries and the rest reorganized into five basic clusters — naval systems, aero-systems, combat systems, weapon systems and electronic warfare systems.

Interestingly, another key recommendation is to create a Defence Technology Commission to allow DRDO to have a greater say. :disagree:

Why not hire more staff to work on wepons development?

I think government is getting it's act right.

Why dont they put certain research labs under private control, or maybe just sell it off to them, give them a specific time to finish the project, and at the end of the day buy the products from them. I think private companies have better working and accoutablity standards, same like the follow in the United States. The more they are under the govt. the more time is going to be wasted and projects will not reach fruition.

Brain is not the problem, DRDO is having plenty of it. Its just that it is a govt institute. I dont know how ISRO people got out of the mentality, that they are govt employees!!

To mitigate the risk of not tapping talent from premier institute like IIT government should go the private company route.

Brain is not the problem, DRDO is having plenty of it. Its just that it is a govt institute. I dont know how ISRO people got out of the mentality, that they are govt employees!!

I think its their success and love for the job which makes them(ISRO) an exceptionally good and respected organization

Well look at it this way.

Working at ISRO is a fancier job then working at DRDO.

ISRO sends stuff into space. That can inspire people
DRDO makes all kinds of stuff. But only a few labs get the Big projects like Agni. A DRDO chap could be stuck making Packaged Biriyani for the troops.

A valid contribution but one not so inspiring.

DRDO i bigger than ISRO. What needs to happen is a reorganization so that, its resources can be concentrated as much as possible. Most notably the Human resource. This is something companies have always gotten right. They know how to use employees. DRDO is locked in Bureaucratic maze.

This revamp if done right can really provide a turn around to the Organization's image.
They have the former head of ISRO running the place now. So who knows he might reduce the bureaucracy involved in the organization.

Well look at it this way.

Working at ISRO is a fancier job then working at DRDO.

ISRO sends stuff into space. That can inspire people
DRDO makes all kinds of stuff. But only a few labs get the Big projects like Agni. A DRDO chap could be stuck making Packaged Biriyani for the troops.

A valid contribution but one not so inspiring.

DRDO i bigger than ISRO. What needs to happen is a reorganization so that, its resources can be concentrated as much as possible. Most notably the Human resource. This is something companies have always gotten right. They know how to use employees. DRDO is locked in Bureaucratic maze.

This revamp if done right can really provide a turn around to the Organization's image.
They have the former head of ISRO running the place now. So who knows he might reduce the bureaucracy involved in the organization.

In that case you have mis-info about isro. ISRO isn't any different. The long gaps during sending a rocket or even during sending a rocket, not everyone gets a fancy job. Infact, DRDO people get more chances to show fancy things than ISRO ones.

In that case you have mis-info about isro. ISRO isn't any different. The long gaps during sending a rocket or even during sending a rocket, not everyone gets a fancy job. Infact, DRDO people get more chances to show fancy things than ISRO ones.

Your the one who commented on the mentality of people. I offered some commentary

Let me ask you something
gun to your head where would u like to work, ISRO or DRDO

I am not neutral on this as i have a huge interest in astronomy and space sciences.

Your the one who commented on the mentality of people. I offered some commentary

Let me ask you something
gun to your head where would u like to work, ISRO or DRDO

I am not neutral on this as i have a huge interest in astronomy and space sciences.

DRDO. I am not neutral either!! From guns, tanks to missiles and jets!!

Ok, truth be spoken, I dont know much about how things work in ISRO, but I know DRDO isn't any different of ordinary govt institute. Same laziness, lack of productivity, non-motivational environment.

While revamping, also change its name to something more friendly. "DRDO" is kind of tongue twister. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom