What's new

Reporter's notebook: Remembering the Mumbai terror attack

Zarvan

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Editor's note: Mallika Kapur is CNN's Mumbai-based international correspondent who covered the 2008 terrorist attacks.

(CNN) -- It's hard to believe it's been five years since Mumbai was rocked by terror attacks. Life goes on, the city continues its chaotic beat. The next news story replaces the last one, the cycle of life goes on.

The date 26/11 is now a somber anniversary the city marks. But for many, it's something much more personal. The newspapers here today are full of pictures of smiling couples and entire families who lost their lives during the attacks. They accompany messages of remembrance in ads placed their by surviving family members who miss them and grieve for them.

Ten Pakistani men associated with the terror group Lashkar-e-Tayyiba stormed buildings and killed 164 people. Nine of the gunmen were killed during the attacks, one survived. Mohammed Ajmal Kasab, the lone surviving gunman, was executed in India last year

One of the pictures I saw in a newspaper today that froze me was of a broken blue wall inside Chabad House, the building where Rabbi Gavriel Holtzberg and his wife Rivka were killed. Their baby son, Moshe survived.

Nanny credited with tot's daring rescue

Moshe is with his grandparents and his nanny in Israel. I think of this young boy often and I think of the families who lost loved ones during the attacks. My thoughts are with those who suffered bullet wounds, burns, trauma and injuries during the siege.

Nanny who saved Israeli boy during Mumbai attack honored in Israel

Mumbai continues to throb. But every year, on 26/11, the city slows down a touch -- in remembrance and in solidarity.

Mumbai attack survivor: 'It's like a dead man living'
Reporter's notebook: Remembering the Mumbai terror attack - CNN.com
@AUz @PWFI @Areesh @RazPaK and others

New Delhi: Five years after the deadly 26/11 Mumbai terror attack, the trial in Pakistan has been a no-go as it has barely moved. Hafiz Saeed is the man India believes planned the Mumbai 26/11 attacks. Yet five years later, Pakistan is no closer to even looking at the case against him and even the trial seems to have moved at a snail's pace.

In these five years, India has tried to keep up the pressure. India has handed over 15 dossiers that outline the evidence against the six masterminds including Lashkar-e-Toiba commander Zaki ur Rehman Lakhvi. India has also been pushing Pakistan to send a team to India to record evidence in the case and has brought up the need for justice in every India-Pakistan meeting.

ALSO SEE Pakistan moving to logical end on 26/11 Mumbai attacks, says Bashir
The trial has only made some progress recently, after the judicial commission submitted evidence gathered in Mumbai to the court in Rawalpindi. In the meanwhile, the case has seen more adjournments than hearings since it began in March 2012, and the judge in the case has been changed five times as the sense of frustration in India grows.

David Headley 'bragged' about Mumbai attacks in emails, claims a book[/paste:font]
In fact there was much more. In 2010, Pakistan's then interior minister Rehman Malik promised India that the trial would be fast-tracked, the voice samples of the men in custody handed over and the case against Hafiz Saeed would be re-studied.

While none of those promises were kept, it is images of Hafiz Saeed freely propagating his threats against India that serve to keep the sense of hurt and injustice against Pakistan alive because despite the trial in the US ending, and the execution of Ajmal Kasab in India, the real closure can only come from the country where the deadly attacks were planned, Pakistan.
26/11 Mumbai attacks: 5 years on, trial in Pakistan has barely moved

Candle-in-the-wind-Marilyn-Monroe.jpg

In memory...

46.JPG

Moshe & her Guardian Angel (Sandra Samuel)

Sandra is the proof that when people show their evil, others will show their beauty and greatness -Chabad Movement

Last edited:
Still remember i was in pune that evening for work . when i went back next morning the buses were empty , which is saying a lot considering there are alt least one bus leaving ever 15 min . Most of Mumbai was in shock .

Never forget 26/11 .. remember those innocent lives.. remember scumbags who did it !!

When an Indian official revealed that attack was indeed planned by Indian agencies itself to gain strategic objectives, Mumbai Attack Hoax become a great embarressment for India.

When an Indian official revealed that attack was indeed planned by Indian agencies itself to gain strategic objectives, Mumbai Attack Hoax become a great embarressment for India.
.....and suddenly you woke from your dreams....

Oh man there are Kasab's parents living in Pakistan...plz tell me they are fake parents

Back
Top Bottom