What's new

Replacing old J-7 jets & J-8 jets

A large airforce is not the same as a capable airforce. We don't need that many jets. I think around 200 J-10s and 150 J-11s and 150 JH-7 are more than enough. Throw in like 200 FC-1 if needed.

Pilots can not reduction...Pilot expensive than the fighter...
PLAAF should buy FC-1 or J-7MF...

i will agree, FC-1 will be a viable solution to replace J7s and J8s in chinese inventory. FC-1 is a great fighter and with good radar systems and air refueling it can become a potent figther, we have already seen its potential as a great dog fighting machine...

For regional defensive purposes the FC-1 is actually the best option. Keeping around 100-200 for this and also for training is not a bad idea. Of course it is kind of useless against hostile fleet that's why we have J-10, J-11, J-15 and JH-7.

light weight fighter is not in many of the air forces like, Mig-21s etc.

All will look for a Medium fighter like J-10 & f-16 52s, with less maintenance, multi role and do the job of 2 light weight fighters. Having more light fighters was a USSR doctrine just after the WW2 but no good air force is following now. Who has budgets, will definitely go for 5 medium fighters than 10 light weight interceptors with very limited strike capability. This will be the same in IAF too as Mig-21s will not be replaced by 1 to 1 ratio. They need LCA as a medium fighter with more play load and range as MK1 is just light weight.

China can manage to replace all J-7s and J-8s with J10s, and J11s and in the future J20s. China will not reduce the number of aircraft, it will replace all these aircraft soon.

Earlier, it was okay with huge amount of air crafts to be stationed in the vast borders. But now the range of the radars of fighters considerable high + Early warning air crafts. so nobody need more jets as earlier days now since the range of the fighters too increased considerably. So no need to have more light fighters.

rockstar, then why the heck is US looking for 2400 F-35s and 187 F-22s.

As said before wait and watch PLAAF/PLANAF knows their business well.
All SU-30MKK/MK2/SU-27s surely will be replaced before 2020 with new airframes..
I don't want to get into immature speculative listings but hear me JH-7A/b? has 2 roles Antiship Naval and Fighter Bomber so we are pretty sure many of Q-5s have already been replaced with it. By the number of active projects it seems China would station many different types Opposite to US Plans.

|F-35 is not a light weight interceptor my friend, do not mix it up, its a next generation 'affordable' fighter. and off course if you look for an arms race and project your power worldwide, then they have to have more than the numbers which they have now. Then it is a shift in policy or doctrine.

Why US not have any F-16 A/B in their carriers, instead they got bomb trucks(f-18s). China too not gonna induct such in their carriers too.

Replace J-7 with J-10.

Replace J-8 with J-11B.

There currently 230-280 J-10 in PLAF and China plans to induct 600 J-10 by 2020.

There about 180 J-11A and 50 J-11B. China plans to induct 300 J-11B by 2020

Also J-20 will be China's top air to air fighter I guess around 400 will be inducted by 2030.

Q-5 will be replaced by JH-7A and JH-7B. There are currently 120 JH-7A in PLAF and China plans to induct 200+ JH-7A/B.

As for JF-17. China might induct 100+ JF-17, one reason is to help boost the international sales of JF-17. It is hard to sales JF-17 world wide if PLAF itself does not operate it. Second, the JF-17 will be a good reinforcement to PAF, in case if india and Pakistan goes to war China can quickly reinforce Pakistan with its own JF-17. Third, JF-17 is much more affordable than J-10, and have good performances and capabilities, it is worth of induction.

don't undersell regional defense. you can station light weight fighters where you think you were need them the most.

and doesn't FC-1 depend on russian engine?

Last edited:
don't undersell regional defense. you can station light weight fighters where you think you were need them the most.

and doesn't FC-1 depend on russian engine?

JF-17 does not depend on russian engines anymore. It now uses
WS-13A engine.

In fact, none of China's fighters will ever be depended on Russian engines any more.

BTW, SU-30MKK is a russian plane not Chinese and it uses AL-31FN.

A large airforce is not the same as a capable airforce. We don't need that many jets. I think around 200 J-10s and 150 J-11s and 150 JH-7 are more than enough. Throw in like 200 FC-1 if needed.

Sure it is. There's no large air force (well, except for a certain country to our south) that is also not capable. There are plenty of incapable small air forces.

We need a HUGE airforce! A huge one with 600 J-10. 400 J-11B. 400 J-20. 100 JF-17. 250 JH-7A/B, pluse a bunch of transports, boombers, tankers and AWACs.

Remember, we have foes around us. Japan, SK, Taiwan, US, and India.

1# WS-13 and WS-10 is not enough manufacturability, we still need russian engine.
2# China will not reduce the number of aircraft. China will not manage to replace all J-7 and J-8 with J-10 and J-11, PLAAF does not so much money.
3# Will continue to equip J-8(J-8F), this is the reason why some people do not like SAC.
4# PLAAF should buy FC-1 or J-7MF.

Back
Top Bottom