What's new

Remembering Pilot Officer Rashid Minhas

The first thing one looks for in an officer, is integrity. Sometimes it's by nature, sometimes you have to force yourself. Let me give you an example, when dealing with relatives, don't you get to hear, "dekho maa baap nai kiya tarbiyat ey hai!" The same way any officer, civilian or military is an ambassador of his organization. Gen Niazi, from what I have read in the Hummod ur Rehman Commission Report (in particular) was quite a disgrace on his own. His actions were barbaric and uncalled for. He did the exact opposite of what one is supposed to do when fighting a guerrilla war. Alienating the local population, looking down on them, crushing them under the boot, never works. It is always counter-productive. 2nd Century mentality at best!

The second part of your statement, absolutely right!
Only if Ayub had not called General Azam back; only if General Yaqoob Khan was listened to... but what happened had to happen.

I don't think if we treated Bengalis well. 30% of funds allocated for them when they made up 60% of the population. I don't think accepting our mistakes means not being patriotic.

By giving them what they wanted we could very easily have stopped Bengal from splitting with us just like Nehru could have stopped Pakistan from splitting by giving us self rule for our provinces and our own laws like no cow slaughter ban. Hammoud Ur Rehman was a way of painting things that were ugly for us with a smooth brush.

This is going off topic. We can discuss this some place else. I stand by my views though. Bhutto was an evil man and an autocrat as was Yahya Khan, Niazi and Tikka Khan. Imagine how Jinnah would feel that half the land we had was split up.

Yes Bengali's were mistreated in a lot of ways, but indian backed mukhti bahini, and RAW didn't help either.They exploited a weakness to the fullest. We on the other hand used outdated strategy & policies to counter it, which ultimately blew up in our face.

Calling the Hammoud ur Rehman Commission Report a sugar coated pill, would be unfair. You need to study it, there is a reason why it was only declassified after nearly three decades.

The four you have mentioned, are not only a disgrace to Pakistan but Humanity itself, I pray that they rot in the worst hell possible!

Yes Bengali's were mistreated in a lot of ways, but indian backed mukhti bahini, and RAW didn't help either.They exploited a weakness to the fullest. We on the other hand used outdated strategy & policies to counter it, which ultimately blew up in our face.

Calling the Hammoud ur Rehman Commission Report a sugar coated pill, would be unfair. You need to study it, there is a reason why it was only declassified after nearly three decades.

The four you have mentioned, are not only a disgrace to Pakistan but Humanity itself, I pray that they rot in the worst hell possible!
India here clearly played the role of an opportunist nation. They used an opportunity in Bengal which we created with our useless leaders and their hunger for power. But the hypocracy becomes clear when you look at India's policy in Kashmir. India is oppressing local kashmiris and our families in Lucknow. So when the Indians take the moral stand and say "Pakistan was raping,killing and kidnapping in Bengal" they are in many ways doing possibly worse in Kashmir. So India is clearly an opportunist nation. But they used a problem we created. I strongly believe we should have treated Bengal better but India is not the savior of Bengalis and most Bengalis can see this which is why they do not have a very positive opinion of India.

It is however my dream to reunite Bengal and Pakistan.

India here clearly played the role of an opportunist nation. They used an opportunity in Bengal which we created with our useless leaders and their hunger for power. But the hypocracy becomes clear when you look at India's policy in Kashmir. India is oppressing local kashmiris and our families in Lucknow. So when the Indians take the moral stand and say "Pakistan was raping,killing and kidnapping in Bengal" they are in many ways doing possibly worse in Kashmir. So India is clearly an opportunist nation. But they used a problem we created. I strongly believe we should have treated Bengal better but India is not the savior of Bengalis and most Bengalis can see this which is why they do not have a very positive opinion of India.

It is however my dream to reunite Bengal and Pakistan.

I agree with what you have said, except the last statement. There is a reason why "Fugly" has her supporters, (sorry can't bring myself to say haseena). Secondly, you only have to look at their credibility internationally, to see them right at the bottom with the Afghanis. The wanted a separate homeland, GOOD!!! Now pay the price!

Niazi was only a field commander who had little role in the debacle of 1971. Whether he was competent or not is a seperate debate.

Yahya and Rahim Khan are the ones who must be held responsible along with power hungry "mob makers" like Bhutto and Mujib.
A field commander who could have made a difference. There were also field commanders for the Air Force who did better.
The man was immoral and corrupt and only exacerbated the problem.
Bhutto may actually be considered one of the architects of the partitions because him and his cohrts knew that any coming to power would require annulling the Bengali Majority. In addition they considered East Pakistan a burden around the west.

Hi,

I think that Niazi was extremely disappointed at the LUCK OF THE DRAW---that he pulled the short straw---and he was looking at all his illustrious career going down the drain.

Tikka Khan the incompetent general---become the hero---and Niazi the Hero becomes a traitor----oh the irony of it.

A field commander who could have made a difference. There were also field commanders for the Air Force who did better.
The man was immoral and corrupt and only exacerbated the problem.
Bhutto may actually be considered one of the architects of the partitions because him and his cohrts knew that any coming to power would require annulling the Bengali Majority. In addition they considered East Pakistan a burden around the west.

@Oscar; Air Marshal. Inam-ul-Haque Khan actually goes on record (with some facts) to describe Z.A.Bhutto as the biggest architect of that. That opinion is tenable, in the light of the actions that Bhutto systematically took to sabotage any way to find a solution. Intriguingly, Yahya Khan (bumbling man as he may have been) took steps to hold the first free elections in Pakistan's history..... which ironically lead to a dead-lock. Does it not seem ironical that a "Khaki" did more for nascent Democracy than a Politician ! Seems so amazing, in hind-sight.

@SquadronLeaderDin are you Sahib din? you ever lived in Abbottabad?
i think i know you.
Small world we live in hahaha. Frankly I am not who you are looking for. Would love to vist abottabad btw, however I lived in Islamabad from the time I was born until I came to the red white and blue.

Small world we live in hahaha. Frankly I am not who you are looking for. Would love to vist abottabad btw, however I lived in Islamabad from the time I was born until I came to the red white and blue.
Ok..I appeared for PAF tests in 1990. The Officer incharge was Squadron leader Sahib Din. Was wondering if it was you.

Your's only. The rest of us are good :pakistan:
When Jinnah made Pakistan Bengal was in it. I consider it as a duty to Jinnah to bring the Bengalis back. Even if it means extra rights for them and less rights for us. They were more victims of circumstance rather than traitors

Amazed with that traitor grave been transfered to bangladesh in 2006 by musharaf and bangladesh made him hero when there were no bangladesh

Pakistan should learn bangalis and afghanis are not our well wishers they are poorest of poor only get paid by india to anti pak day will come both them get knees down to us

no one can forget his sacrifice as he has written his history with his blood.....salute to our brave hero

Back
Top Bottom