What's new

Remdesivir: Five Indian and Pakistani firms to make drug to 'fight coronavirus'

UmarJustice

New Recruit

Reaction score
A US pharmaceutical firm has signed agreements with drug makers in South Asia to expand supply of the drug remdesivir for treating Covid-19.

The agreement between Gilead and five generic pharmaceutical companies in India and Pakistan will help make the medicine for 127 countries.

Remdesivir cut the duration of symptoms from 15 days to 11 in clinical trials at hospitals around the world.

The antiviral drug was originally developed as an Ebola treatment.

It works by attacking an enzyme that a virus needs in order to replicate inside our cells.

Under the licensing agreement, the five companies have the "right to receive a technology transfer of the Gilead manufacturing process for remdesivir to enable them to scale up their production quickly", a statement from Gilead said.

The licences would be royalty-free until the World Health Organization (WHO) declares the end of the public health emergency arising out of Covid-19, or until another pharmaceutical product or a vaccine is approved to treat or prevent the disease, the statement said.

The agreements allow the Cipla Limited, Ferozsons Laboratories, Hetero Labs Ltd, Jubilant Lifesciences and Mylan to manufacture the drug.

The managing director of the privately-owned Hyderabad-based Hetero Labs told the BBC that it is "too early" to determine the pricing of the drug and when the manufacture will begin.

"Things will be clearer by June. We anticipate controlled usage [of the drug] through government institutions. Our main aim is that India should be self-sufficient in the drug if India chooses to use it," Vamsi Krishna Bandi said.

The $1bn firm is one of the world's largest producers of anti-retroviral drugs, supplying to nearly five million patients of HIV-Aids. Hetero Labs makes some 300 products at 36 manufacturing facilities worldwide.

Indian medical science and drug control authorities will have to first decide how they want to use the drug on patients.

A senior scientist at the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) has said that it will consider using the drug if Indian firms are able to make it.

"Initial data based on an observational study shows that the drug is effective. We will wait for the results from the WHO solidarity trial and also see if some other companies can work on this to proceed further," Raman Gangakhedkar said.

The clinical trial of remdesivir was run by the US National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) in which 1,063 people took part. Some patients were given the drug while others received a placebo.

D Anthony Fauci who runs the NIAID said: "The data shows remdesivir has a clear-cut, significant, positive effect in diminishing the time to recovery."

He said the results proved "a drug can block this virus" and were "opening the door to the fact that we now have the capability of treating" patients.

The impact on deaths, though, is not as clear-cut. The mortality rate was 8% in people given remdesivir and 11.6% in those given a placebo, but this result was not statistically significant, meaning scientists cannot tell if the difference is real.

The BBC's health and science correspondent James Gallagher says it is also not clear who is benefiting from the drug and poses a few questions.

Is it allowing people who would have recovered anyway to do so more quickly? Or is it preventing people from needing treatment in intensive care? Did the drug work better in younger or older people? Or those with or without other diseases? Do patients have to be treated early when the virus is thought to peak in the body?

These will be important factors when the full details are eventually published, our correspondent says.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-52659052

despite the availability of this drug death rate in u.s is highest so we are much better with current mode of treatment and avoid using this drug for experimentation

Gimme 10 reasons y I should even be listening to u.

It is up to individuals to interpret what i said for themselves. i am under no obligation to listen to u. You suing me or what?

U begged me before, not told- in the other thread. I stopped replying your last post there becos I could sense u were on the verge of tears, saying something along the lines 'u just want me to be good' bla bla bla- can't rem.

The thread is still somewhere there tho.

Btw, I repeat:

Fauci participated in the creation of HIV.
Anyway, calm down, no need to be upset. What I'm saying is common sense. like I said, you can have an opinion as long as you don't try to push it as indisputable fact, because then I'm just gonna have to question you on it.

No, I didnt beg you for anything. I just gave you a few negative ratings, which you got upset about.

Lol, it's funny how you're saying I was about to cry, but the only one out of the two of us who's upset is you.

I repeat, if you're gonna say something that has no evidence, expect people to question you.

Speaking of which, do you have evidence of your claim?

despite the availability of this drug death rate in u.s is highest so we are much better with current mode of treatment and avoid using this drug for experimentation
Pakistan is also extremely low on number of testing, so your comment doesn't make sense.

Anyway, calm down, no need to be upset. What I'm saying is common sense. like I said, you can have an opinion as long as you don't try to push it as indisputable fact, because then I'm just gonna have to question you on it.

No, I didnt beg you for anything. I just gave you a few negative ratings, which you got upset about.

Lol, it's funny how you're saying I was about to cry, but the only one out of the two of us who's upset is you.

I repeat, if you're gonna say something that has no evidence, expect people to question you.

u do realise just becos u 'question' me- it's up to my pleasure to choose to reply u or not right?

I hope u do cos u make it sound like i OWE you an explaination for whatever i say.
n here's proof of your begging:

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/us-m...ur-own-conclusion.656937/page-2#post-12149229

i was guessing u were about to tear up, so i decided to cut the conversation there:

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/us-m...ur-own-conclusion.656937/page-2#post-12149298

Last edited:
if people would have been dying in thousands per day as happened in u.s it is impossible to hide them from media but we have not seen any such deaths here otherwise it would be evident to public easily so this makes sense

Pakistan is also extremely low on number of testing, so your comment doesn't make sense.

This Corona is man-made virus purposely spread with just one purpose.
To make sure everyone gets vaccinated. For two reasons,
To make trillions of dollars by selling the vaccine, but this is a side benefit, the real reason is
To kill/modify the DNA that they think is responsible for religious activism/extremism.

I have the video, trying to figure out how to upload.

Watch it before its taken off

@waz @zarwan @DESERT FIGHTER @CriticalThought @Knuckles @Bilal Khan (Quwa) @Bilal Khan 777 @Windjammer @MastanKhan
@Horus @Dubious @AgNoStiC MuSliM @araz @airomerix @Arsalan @AZADPAKISTAN2009 @BHarwana @Bilal Khan (Quwa) @Dazzler @fatman17 @Foxtrot Alpha @ghazi52 @Hodor @Irfan Baloch @Imran Khan @Jango @Knuckles @krash @LeGenD @Moonlight @PakSword @Side-Winder @Socra @waz @Windjammer @dbc @Aamir Hussain

@Adam_Khan @Ahmet Pasha @Akh1112 @aliyusuf @ARMalik @assasiner @Blacklight @crankthatskunk @Cookie Monster @Counter-Errorist @Dil Pakistan @Falcon26 @Flight of falcon @FuturePAF @graphican @GriffinsRule @Gryphon @GumNaam @Haris Ali2140 @HRK @Hakikat ve Hikmet @HawkEye27 @I S I @Khanivore @khansaheeb @khanasifm @Liquidmetal @loanranger @Maxpane @Mirage Battle Commander @Microsoft @mingle @Mrc @mshan44 @Muhammad Omar @NA71 @Nasr @notorious_eagle @Pakhtoon yum @PAKISTANFOREVER @PakShaheen79 @Path-Finder @PDFChamp @PWFI @Rafi @Reichsmarschall @Riz @Safriz @seven0seven @Shane @Signalian @Starlord @Stealth @StormBreaker @Super Falcon @syed Hammad Ahmed @TF141 @The Accountant @TheTallGuy @Tank131 @Thorough Pro @TOPGUN @Tps43 @TsAr @Trango Towers @undercover JIX @Verve @Vortex @ziaulislam @Zulfiqar

Last edited:
To make trillions of dollars by selling the vaccine, but this is a side benefit, the real reason is
To kill/modify the DNA that they think is responsible for religious activism/extremism.
right on.

u do realise just becos u 'question' me- it's up to my pleasure to choose to reply u or not right?

I hope u do cos u make it sound like i OWE you an explaination for whatever i say.
n here's proof of your begging:

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/us-m...ur-own-conclusion.656937/page-2#post-12149229

i was guessing u were about to tear up, so i decided to cut the conversation there:

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/us-m...ur-own-conclusion.656937/page-2#post-12149298
Lol, how is that begging? You were and are acting defensive, and rude. That's not me crying, that's you getting offended, and me calling you out on it. You didnt reply, because you had nothing to legitimate response to my inquiry.

Also, it is up to you to reply to me, if you want. However, its quite telling that when I ask for evidence to your claims, you suddenly get all defensive and rude. In other words, you know you're making things up, but just don't want to admit it.

Honestly, you amuse me. It's clear that you yourself know that what you're saying is nonsense, but you've dug your own hole so deep, that you can't seem to get out of it.

if people would have been dying in thousands per day as happened in u.s it is impossible to hide them from media but we have not seen any such deaths here otherwise it would be evident to public easily so this makes sense
Thousands die in pakistan every day from various causes. It's the natural cycle of life.

Due to a lack of testing, we don't know if a lot of people who died was due to the virus, or due to natural causes. The actual number of deaths is likely far higher across the world, not just Pakistan. The official numbers are only for people who've been tested.

I have the video, trying to figure out how to upload.

Watch it before its taken off

@waz @zarwan @DESERT FIGHTER @CriticalThought @Knuckles @Bilal Khan (Quwa) @Bilal Khan 777 @Windjammer @MastanKhan
@Horus @Dubious @AgNoStiC MuSliM @araz @airomerix @Arsalan @AZADPAKISTAN2009 @BHarwana @Bilal Khan (Quwa) @Dazzler @fatman17 @Foxtrot Alpha @ghazi52 @Hodor @Irfan Baloch @Imran Khan @Jango @Knuckles @krash @LeGenD @Moonlight @PakSword @Side-Winder @Socra @waz @Windjammer @dbc @Aamir Hussain

@Adam_Khan @Ahmet Pasha @Akh1112 @aliyusuf @ARMalik @assasiner @Blacklight @crankthatskunk @Cookie Monster @Counter-Errorist @Dil Pakistan @Falcon26 @Flight of falcon @FuturePAF @graphican @GriffinsRule @Gryphon @GumNaam @Haris Ali2140 @HRK @Hakikat ve Hikmet @HawkEye27 @I S I @Khanivore @khansaheeb @khanasifm @Liquidmetal @loanranger @Maxpane @Mirage Battle Commander @Microsoft @mingle @Mrc @mshan44 @Muhammad Omar @NA71 @Nasr @notorious_eagle @Pakhtoon yum @PAKISTANFOREVER @PakShaheen79 @Path-Finder @PDFChamp @PWFI @Rafi @Reichsmarschall @Riz @Safriz @seven0seven @Shane @Signalian @Starlord @Stealth @StormBreaker @Super Falcon @syed Hammad Ahmed @TF141 @The Accountant @TheTallGuy @Tank131 @Thorough Pro @TOPGUN @Tps43 @TsAr @Trango Towers @undercover JIX @Verve @Vortex @ziaulislam @Zulfiqar

Oh dear, another polio crises coming soon in Pakistan where mulla will declare vaccine "haram" and let people die.

when large number of people suffer from critical situation resulting from corona they show particular symptoms like difficulty in breathing and rush to hospitals for ventilators which result in each hospital flooded with thousands of patients in single day as happened in italy and u.s but thanks to ALLAH ALMIGHTY we have not seen such situation in Pakistan.
Lol, how is that begging? You were and are acting defensive, and rude. That's not me crying, that's you getting offended, and me calling you out on it. You didnt reply, because you had nothing to legitimate response to my inquiry.

Also, it is up to you to reply to me, if you want. However, its quite telling that when I ask for evidence to your claims, you suddenly get all defensive and rude. In other words, you know you're making things up, but just don't want to admit it.

Honestly, you amuse me. It's clear that you yourself know that what you're saying is nonsense, but you've dug your own hole so deep, that you can't seem to get out of it.

Thousands die in pakistan every day from various causes. It's the natural cycle of life.

Due to a lack of testing, we don't know if a lot of people who died was due to the virus, or due to natural causes. The actual number of deaths is likely far higher across the world, not just Pakistan. The official numbers are only for people who've been tested.

when large number of people suffer from critical situation resulting from corona they show particular symptoms like difficulty in breathing and rush to hospitals for ventilators which result in each hospital flooded with thousands of patients in single day as happened in italy and u.s but thanks to ALLAH ALMIGHTY we have not seen such situation in Pakistan.
That's not true, Pakistan DID see a massive increase in hospital visitations, I don't think anyone can really dispute this fact.

The problem was and is that testing is still not at the level it should be. A lot of people were just told to go home, because there weren't (and aren't) enough tests for everyone.

The unofficial infection and death count is likely more significant than the official numbers.

Besides, even the official numbers are increasing dramatically. Pakistan just crossed 40,000 officially confirmed infections, and Pakistan is nowhere near to peak level yet.

i think deaths are lower as I am living in Pakistan currently and not seen more people dying in my locality,everything seems normal,if people die news of their death always spread in locality and also many of my relatives and friends are living here at different cities of Pakistan,there are not much deaths occurring in their family
That's not true, Pakistan DID see a massive increase in hospital visitations, I don't think anyone can really dispute this fact.

The problem was and is that testing is still not at the level it should be. A lot of people were just told to go home, because there weren't (and aren't) enough tests for everyone.

The unofficial infection and death count is likely more significant than the official numbers.

Besides, even the official numbers are increasing dramatically. Pakistan just crossed 40,000 officially confirmed infections, and Pakistan is nowhere near to peak level yet.

Back
Top Bottom