Remarks against Indians were quoted out of context: Henry Kissinger

jeypore

Reaction score
Country
India
Remarks against Indians were quoted out of context: Henry Kissinger
20 Nov 2008, 0303 hrs IST, Ashley D'Mello, TNN

Print Email Discuss Share Save Comment Text:

MUMBAI: Former US secretary of state Henry Kissinger tried to explain his derogatory remarks made against Indians during the crisis leading to the
Bangladesh war of liberation in 1971 reported widely in the media as being quoted out of context.

"Indira Gandhi was a great leader, but she was not the easiest person in the world to deal with if you did not agree with her," said Kissinger and hastily explained the derogatory remarks made against the former Prime Minister, in which US President Nixon had allegedly called her a "*****" and his own statement against Indians whom he referred to as "bastards", were remarks taken out of context.

Kissinger's explanation came in reply to questions, after he had addressed a meeting of the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII). Kissinger sought to placate the emotions of Indians by stating, ''Journalists had taken remarks recorded at the end of the day in the office and had tried to make it out as if they were part of strategic policy".

Kissinger said that thinking in retrospect, if they had to go through the crisis again their attitude towards India would be different. Explaining the tilt towards Pakistan, Kissinger said, ''Pakistan was our only contact to China. Opening up to China was the key interest of the US when the crisis in East Pakistan developed. India reacted for its own interests, we reacted for ours and tried to keep out policy intact," he said.

"After the crisis was over things returned to normal," he said.

Kissinger who talked on a range of issues, regional and international about US foreign policy after the elections in a talk peppered with humour, pointed out that having a stable Pakistan was in the interest of both the US and India. "If we have to get out of the Afghanistan imbroglio then we have to deal with its neighbours and India," he said.

Kissinger said that the US might not tread the path of protectionism in its new foreign policy.
Remarks against Indians were quoted out of context: Henry Kissinger-India-The Times of India

When did Henry Kissinger became lovey dubby with India. I guess he is trying to put all under the bridge. Well for me a crock is always a crock.

When did Henry Kissinger became lovey dubby with India. I guess he is trying to put all under the bridge. Well for me a crock is always a crock.

Dear jeypore; sir
here comes the real face of these "FARANGI" gora shahi sarkar!
they never think good for us, its about time that with unity , we should kick them out of our region, as soon as posible!
the biggest hurdlle in the unity of india & pakistan is "uncle sam" & his old uncle "tom" who kept CIA, working in this regurds.:agree::angry:

Like other ministers of other nations, he was following orders of his superiors at the time. Back then, our focus was the bear, and we needed to rapproach the Chinese to counter them.

Like he has said, the only contact to China is through the Pakistani's. So this is all within the country's interest.

There are a lot racist words against the Indian by Nixon and Kissinger.

I think not only those individuals need to apologize, but also the US government. That is in the best interest of US.

I agree with blackstone.........in politics, there are no permanent friends and foes.........
situations change.......alliances change......

that is exactly wat kissinger is doing............

I agree with blackstone.........in politics, there are no permanent friends and foes.........
situations change.......alliances change......

that is exactly wat kissinger is doing............

You could say the situation is similar to the current closeness of US-India relations. This time instead of the bear, the focus is the dragon.

India is morphing into another Neo-Con wet dream about containing the Chicoms. Kissinger just reflecting that trend. Thankfully, their grip on power in western capitals are waning into more reality based approach.

God knows what all US politicians might be calling Indians behind closed doors and what Indian Politicians might say about the US.

Clearly nothing is taken out of context , it's just said in Public and Press and that acts as a multiplier and creates controversy , effectively Kissinger would be regretting saying all this to the media . I'm pretty sure that nothing was out of context.

You could say the situation is similar to the current closeness of US-India relations. This time instead of the bear, the focus is the dragon.

I agree.......
the truth is that every country must work for its own benefit.......
no friends and no foes.....
india must look for its own benefit.....so must US......so must china and so must pakistan.........

it is foolish to believe any alliance blindly........
maybe pakistan blindly believed US.......india shouldnt repeat that mistake.....

Back
Top Bottom