PDF THINK TANK: CONSULTANT
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Record rice export fetches $2bn
View attachment 3933

By Dawn Staff Reporter

Wednesday, 15 Jul, 2009

Water shortage damaging paddy crop KARACHI: The country earned $2.044 billion by exporting record 2.930 million tons of rice thanks to a bumper crop of over six million tons during the last fiscal year 2008-09.

The export of around 0.924 million tons of Basmati rice fetched $1.018 billion and 2.005 million tons of non-Basmati rice $1.025 billion during the FY09.

Rice Exporters Association of Pakistan (Reap) Chairman Abdul Rahim Janoo expressed the hope that with consistent increase in paddy production, the $4 billion rice export target envisaged in the Rice Vision 2012 could easily be achieved.

Pakistan is the third largest rice exporting country in the world and has all the potential to become top exporter provided proper care is taken to ensure larger paddy harvests in the coming years, Mr Janoo observed.

He urged the government to provide quality seeds, fertiliser and machinery to the rice growers at subsidised rates to enhance paddy production.

what kinda of rice seeds does Pakistan use? like in china they adopted all sorts of engineered seeds now to improve survivability and yields

Record rice export fetches $2bn
View attachment 3933

By Dawn Staff Reporter

Wednesday, 15 Jul, 2009

Water shortage damaging paddy crop KARACHI: The country earned $2.044 billion by exporting record 2.930 million tons of rice thanks to a bumper crop of over six million tons during the last fiscal year 2008-09.

The export of around 0.924 million tons of Basmati rice fetched $1.018 billion and 2.005 million tons of non-Basmati rice $1.025 billion during the FY09.

Rice Exporters Association of Pakistan (Reap) Chairman Abdul Rahim Janoo expressed the hope that with consistent increase in paddy production, the $4 billion rice export target envisaged in the Rice Vision 2012 could easily be achieved.

Pakistan is the third largest rice exporting country in the world and has all the potential to become top exporter provided proper care is taken to ensure larger paddy harvests in the coming years, Mr Janoo observed.

He urged the government to provide quality seeds, fertiliser and machinery to the rice growers at subsidised rates to enhance paddy production.

How much did India's damming of the rivers adversely affected crop growth??? And 2 billion is a lot of money!!! I thought Pakistan was having trouble feeding her hungry large population? Anyways, great for Pakistan!:pakistan::pakistan::pakistan:

How much did India's damming of the rivers adversely affected crop growth??? And 2 billion is a lot of money!!! I thought Pakistan was having trouble feeding her hungry large population? Anyways, great for Pakistan!:pakistan::pakistan::pakistan:

Actually there's no reason for anyone to be hungry in Pakistan.

Pakistan grows more than enough food for its growing population, the problem is that not all the food goes to everyone and some consume way too much.

basmati grows only in Pakistan & India ... Not in China i think

Basmati..You can't have Pakistani food without it, unless you have roti/chapatti/naan.

We are going through a drought here, 25% drop in paddy output. India may import rice from Pakistan. Why go far if its available next door. Though politicians are not always logical.

We are going through a drought here, 25% drop in paddy output. India may import rice from Pakistan. Why go far if its available next door. Though politicians are not always logical.

i appreciate your thought but do your government thinks the same????? i doubt it.. they will never do anything that wod help pakistan in any case...! sorry for being a bit blunt ...:eek:

i appreciate your thought but do your government thinks the same????? i doubt it.. they will never do anything that wod help pakistan in any case...! sorry for being a bit blunt ...:eek:

How is India helping Pak by buying their rice? We are feeding our own people.

How is India helping Pak by buying their rice? We are feeding our own people.

well you guys will buy from us.... so in the process we will be pocketing your gandhi ji... :) its a good thing .. we should promote indo pak trade... i dunno when will our politicians look out side the vessel... we shod realize that good friendly relations are in our favor..

Wow thats really awesome to see Pakistan is doing great in exporting food staples, wheareas other south asian countries are struggling to meet their own demand.
Basmati is a low yield variety yet Pakistan is producing hell lot of them.
Great job guys.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom