What's new

Recent killings of TTP leaders in Afghanistan leave group crippled

The Eagle

SENIOR MODERATOR
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Recent killings of TTP leaders in Afghanistan leave group crippled

Following a crackdown across Pakistan, the group shifted its hideouts to neighbouring provinces of Afghanistan. Three key leaders have been killed in the past month.

By Zia Ur Rehman
22561-000_1mq6op-585_329.jpg

In this photograph taken on November 25, 2019, Afghan security forces take part in an ongoing operations in Nangarhar province near the Pakistan border. [Noorullah Shirzada/AFP]

KARACHI -- The recent killings of key Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) commanders in Afghanistan have left the group severely weakened and directionless, observers say.

Sheikh Khalid Haqqani, a member of the group's consultative council, and Qari Saifullah Peshawari, another leader, were killed in a clash with security forces in Afghanistan on January 31, the TTP acknowledged February 6.

Meanwhile, Shehryar Mehsud, a close associate of slain TTP leader Hakimullah Mehsud and chief of a militant faction that is part of the umbrella TTP, was killed February 12 by a remote-controlled bomb in Kunar Province, Afghanistan.

22559-pf_photo_1-585_329.jpg

Paramilitary Rangers on January 28 perform security duties in Karachi. After crackdowns by security forces on the TTP across the country, militants have shifted their hideouts to Afghanistan's neighbouring provinces. [Zia Ur Rehman]

22560-pf_photo_2-585_329.jpg

A file photo shows civil society activists in Karachi protesting in December 2017 against the brutality of Taliban militants. [Zia Ur Rehman]

Following a crackdown on the TTP's various factions across Pakistan, the militants shifted their hideouts to neighbouring provinces of Afghanistan.

There, they mastermind terrorist acts to be carried out in Pakistan and launch cross-border attacks, causing tension between the Pakistani and Afghan governments.

The TTP itself in its recent book "Inqilab Mehsud" admitted that a number of its key leaders have been killed in joint operations along the border over the past few years.

The third and latest edition of the book, released in January and authored by TTP chief Mufti Noor Wali aka Abu Mansoor Asim, names numerous leaders who were killed in Barmal District, Paktika Province, Afghanistan.

Wali himself became leader in June 2018 after his predecessor, Mullah Fazlullah, was killed in a joint operation by US and Afghan forces in Kunar Province, Afghanistan.

TTP central deputy chief Khan Saeed Mehsud, alias Sajna, was killed along with his guards in Barmal District in February 2018, according to the list.

Another nine key TTP leaders were killed in the district in 2018, according to the book.

Leaders of the TTP's Mehsud faction have been operating hideouts in Barmal District, while members of the Swat faction have been hiding in Kunar and Nuristan, according to a security official who is familiar with the TTP hideouts in Afghanistan.

"The killing of [the TTP's] key leaders, such as Fazlullah and Sajna, in Afghanistan was a great blow to the TTP, which is already crumbling and facing disintegration," he said.

Cross-border terrorism
Pakistan repeatedly has asked the Afghan government to eliminate TTP hideouts along the border.

Last August, Pakistan's Foreign Office formally shared with Afghanistan the locations of terrorist camps along the border and requested that the Afghan government deploy forces to those areas.

"From there [Afghanistan's neighbouring provinces], the TTP and other Taliban factions plan and carry out attacks on Pakistan's security forces and civilians -- mainly aimed at spoiling relations between Pakistan and Afghanistan," said Syed Mujtaba Sarhari, a Karachi-based trader, who does business with Afghanistan.

"Such acts of cross-border terrorism over the past year have led to the shutting down of border crossings and the restriction of the movement of goods and people," said Sarhadi.

"It seems that the militants want to disrupt trade and human contacts between the neighbouring countries," he said.

The weakening of the TTP has led to a decrease in cross-border attacks.

Four cross-border attacks launched from Afghanistan took place in multiple districts of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) in 2019, down 75% from the previous year, according to an annual security report by the Pak Institute for Peace Studies (PIPS), an Islamabad-based security think-tank.

These attacks killed six Pakistanis -- all army soldiers -- and injured 19 others, including 14 soldiers and five civilians. Militants targeted security forces and their check-posts, mainly in parts of KP bordering on Afghanistan, in all of the incidents.

In 2018, 16 cross-border attacks took place from Afghanistan, according to PIPS. These attacks killed 21 security personnel and 22 militants and wounded 22 other individuals.

Pakistan/Asia/News

Thats a great news for every Pakistani :pakistan::smitten:

People must have faith & patience at most, when it comes to security of motherland. These achievements aren't results of a day or two planning. In-fact, it takes a lot of skills, courage & resources for "One" to stand & eliminate hostiles. Downgrading & sometimes helplessness is such a disappointment. We all need to understand how it works but unfortunately, we the impatient lot immediately starts cursing & blaming the unsung heroes, in a knee-jerk reaction.

APS is not avenged yet!

We will never forget it nor will stop hunting them be it the pawns, their handlers & sponsors anywhere in the world.

Unless, Peace in Kabulistan happens on Pak terms...we shall not be able to develop OurBalochistan or fully operationalise CPEC Phase2.

Afghanistan peace deal is done and only a highly jinxed type event will stop it. The rise has begun and for that we have sacrificed a lot and will not let it go in vain. Personally speaking, whoever has the patience; will win the game in the end. So we must not show hurry or rush to the end line. Decades of corruption in every form has actually emptied us from inside to weak us on every front but that wasn't forever and we shall learn from our mistakes. Today, the development isn't by chance but took a lot of efforts & dedication. All I hope that the naive minds, being weak or excessively reactive may learn to stay sharp & use brains instead of emotions.

People must have faith & patience at most, when it comes to security of motherland. These achievements aren't results of a day or two planning. In-fact, it takes a lot of skills, courage & resources for "One" to stand & eliminate hostiles. Downgrading & sometimes helplessness is such a disappointment. We all need to understand how it works but unfortunately, we the impatient lot immediately starts cursing & blaming the unsung heroes, in a knee-jerk reaction.

We will never forget it nor will stop hunting them be it the pawns, their handlers & sponsors anywhere in the world.

Afghanistan peace deal is done and only a highly jinxed type event will stop it. The rise has begun and for that we have sacrificed a lot and will not let it go in vain. Personally speaking, whoever has the patience; will win the game in the end. So we must not show hurry or rush to the end line. Decades of corruption in every form has actually emptied us from inside to weak us on every front but that wasn't forever and we shall learn from our mistakes. Today, the development isn't by chance but took a lot of efforts & dedication. All I hope that the naive minds, being weak or excessively reactive may learn to stay sharp & use brains instead of emotions.
Can’t agree more, all of our people, poking nose into matters not concerning their attention, and the whining about and blaming LEAs or Military. It is usually best to just don’t give attention to these crying kids.

APS is not avenged yet!

We can NEVER forget APS.
APS shall never be avenged till the last terrorist, that was the declaration of the final blow of war horn, with no coming back to terms or peace, hunt till the last one, Our young innocent’s sacrifice should not go cheap !!!

It must be paid with the eradication of these retards.

got it sir g . am trying to improve my self and next time i will try to see things in a broader way .
i know some where on the border is protecting us and our planners have very big ambitions to protect our country and us :pakistan:

got it sir g . am trying to improve my self and next time i will try to see things in a broader way .

Its just a brotherly advise and not directed to you. Its like I am showing a different prospect my friend and the way we learn throughout time. We all need to consider every aspect, resource, forces, references, subjects & events while making a decision.

Its just a brotherly advise and not directed to you. Its like I am showing a different prospect my friend and the way we learn throughout time. We all need to consider every aspect, resource, forces, references, subjects & events while making a decision.
sir what can i do is to learn make my self better and i will take your advice seriously because it can help me to enhance my knowledge and can give me better perspective in my way of understanding :-)

sir what can i do is to learn make my self better and i will take your advice seriously because it can help me to enhance my knowledge and can give me better perspective in my way of understanding :-)

First of all, no Sir please.

Secondly, all I can do is to share my experience. never believe into everything being said by media or some pro-claimed source, immediately.... don't react just for the sake of it.... instead, search for the truth, know your strength and believe into yourself similarly into Pakistan. Don't you believe that for the safety of us; the man in uniform that has to take first shot before us?

Propaganda houses, manipulators & misleading agent are designed to do everything by twisting facts & provoking you on personal grounds as well. Don't feel triggered to every event instead, think more & more of positive & negative sides. Everything has to be done on the perfect time or at-least as per plans.

Conclusively, all you need to do is to take command of yourself & control your inner negative that we all have.

First of all, no Sir please.

Secondly, all I can do is to share my experience. never believe into everything being said by media or some pro-claimed source, immediately.... don't react just for the sake of it.... instead, search for the truth, know your strength and believe into yourself similarly into Pakistan. Don't you believe that for the safety of us; the man in uniform that has to take first shot before us?

Propaganda houses, manipulators & misleading agent are designed to do everything by twisting facts & provoking you on personal grounds as well. Don't feel triggered to every event instead, think more & more of positive & negative sides. Everything has to be done on the perfect time or at-least as per plans.

Conclusively, all you need to do is to take command of yourself & control your inner negative that we all have.
got it and i will try my best

Back
Top Bottom